Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter funnel, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another forum member posted these pics. Looks good to me and I'll be making my own for my next service

Oil filter funnel, worth it?-image-430122516.jpg

Oil filter funnel, worth it?-image-1766463345.jpg

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 335 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
just a side note.... oil dry is typically made from clay....if you take a little bit and spread on your oil stain/spot, then grind it with your shoe, you will break down the clay into a fine powder and this will suck the oil right up off your floor. Save your paper towels, use a little oil dry. If it doesn't look too bad, you could always save it and reuse again. You will be amazed that a minute or two of this will remove a lot of stains on your floor.
Yep, this is what I do. Learned it working at a filling station as a teen in the late 70's. By the way, I use the cheap old style kitty litter & a 14" 2X4. LOL!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM
BIGRED1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought me one of those purdy orange ones and found out that on my '12 twinky it wont work because of the oil cooler. It's tough to use on my Evo motor but with some finesse, it can be done. Bottom line; gave it to my buddy who doesn't have a cooler.
Went back to using the method like Fourburgs, drain pan and brake clean. Been doing that for over 20 years now.
As for those expensive filters, the jury is still out on the effectiveness.
Personally. I buy an inexpensive magnetic filter that works just fine for the 3-5K oil changes plus every so often, I cut the filter apart to check for metal pieces.
Roger

Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the Harley version of this. And it is absolutely useless.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
gnewman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD funnel and it's crap if you have your bike on a lift. Works fine on stand.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,682 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
I tried the Harley version of this. And it is absolutely useless.
Same experience with the Harley orange filter tray. You think for a $0.30 part (cost to make), they could have designed one that works with their own bike.

2 liter pop bottle cut works better.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,809 Likes on 8,581 Posts

If your bike has engine guards you can lean it over to the right onto the engine guard (with less than a half a tank of gas). Warm up the bike engine first, shut it down, and then let it lean in that position for about 5 minutes. This will drain all of the oil from the oil filter. Remove filter in this position, install a new one, and then complete the draining of the oil tank/crankcase and re-fill. Run engine again to completely warm it up, check level and top off as needed. You won`t have to worry about an oil mess from your filter, and won`t need any "spill proof" gadgets.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,577 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by ndnguyd
Spin filter off, tip up so doesnt flow oil out, spray cleaner where oil dripped cleans road grime off too. Put new filter on. For me more of a hassle messing around with funnels and such then just spin it off.
I'm with you on that - with the filter removed there is plenty of access for cleaning more than just the little spilled oil.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
roost812
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a piece of cardboard, works like a camp.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Came across this item on amazon, wanted to see if spending the $20 on this plastic tool will be worth the cost? Seems like a nice idea, I know that many change their oil filter which is the messy part with some sort of plastic soda bottle gadget, I tried to see if I could find it on youtube but no luck as to what others use or recommend..

I need to change the oil on my 2014 SG, its already passed do the break in period.

Let me know, thanks~
Heavy duty foil doubled and angled into the basin...have used the same foil for 8 years...works for me.

Quick Reply: Oil filter funnel, worth it?