Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on goggles over glasses and under 3/4 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I need to get new glasses and goggles to cover them this year before Oct 10, that's my birthday and I need to renew my drivers license, the glasses I have now won't cut it my prescription is about 3 years overdue.
I know I would fail the eye test when I go, I figure the glasses will cost me between $500 and $700.
I tried Walmart the last time I had to get glasses but kept losing the nose pads, saved about $150 getting them at Walmart, every time I would go to Walmart to get a nose pad replaced they would charge me a dollar, I told them the glasses were defective, so the last time they put a drop of loctite on the screw and that lasted a couple months.
It ticked me off about the dollar, it wasn't the cost it was the fact they sold me defective glasses and basically refused to replace them.
So I'm going to have to go to the local eye doctor, hence the higher price but I expect to get better glasses this time.
So the Wiley's look like what I need to cover the glasses.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well since nobody's really answered you question I.E. you don't want to pay for prescription goggles or motorcycle glasses let me give it a whack.Go to your local Army surplus store they have military goggles that will comfortably fit over glasses. They're big and ugly but come with a couple or three different color lenses and will do what you want for I think around 40$.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I used a pair of Scorpion goggles for a few years, but the strap goes outside the helmet, like a motocross type. And they were big... but any smaller and they would have crushed my glasses to the bridge of my nose.

Then I wised up and unassed the money and bought a pair of Harley Profile glasses, in my prescription, photogrey, with removable foam inserts for $300. They get dark as hell in the sun, and crystal clear at night.

You can't have the best of both worlds.

You don't have to buy from Harley, though, your eye doctor should have a selection of riding glasses, just ask.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

These actually work pretty well.
http://www.cocoonsusa.com/cocoon-pol...ortoise-amber/ Get them with clear lenses as well.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to shops that sell dirt bikes. Look for googles made by Scott, they make some that fit over glasses, they will say "otg" on the end of the box. There may be other brands, but I used Scott's for the ease of replacement lenses and they worked. Now that I think of it, check out Rocky Mountain and Dennis Kirk on line.

As already suggested by previous poster, I had prescription sun glasses made using 7eye frames. I really like them.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 656 Likes on 523 Posts

don't need goggles if u get the right glasses,wileyx, panoptics,7eye, are all prescription glasses that will stay still if properly fit. some have removable temples the replace with a strap if need be.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM
baldeagle503
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Wally and got the Liberty Sport X frame. Has the gaskets around the outside and fit very well. I didn't want to pay for the progrressives so I just got the regular bifocal for ALOT less. 99% of the time I'm looking up or down at the instruments. No need for progressives in my case. I think I paid $170 or thereabouts

Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I have used HD and Wiley X since 2005 and nothing else comes close. Adseyewear.com has very competitive prices and try before buy policy is unbeatable.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Panoptz, 7-Eye fanboy for years!

Quick Reply: Advice on goggles over glasses and under 3/4 helmet