Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Street Glide question?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013 | 11:40 PM
bmx246477
|
Advanced

What are the reviews with getting a seat reworked at Mean City Cycles?

Old 12-24-2013 | 11:43 PM
mdanehart
Road Captain

My 07 is as low as I get it with the 16 inch on the rear with a one inch lowering kit and 21 inch on the front.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Street Glide question?????-image.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013 | 11:52 PM
bmx246477
|
Advanced

I just Ned to get 2 inches lower. The FBI kit is $2,000 bucks according to their website. I can't afford that. I think the seat rework maybe the the best way to go for the money.

Old 12-25-2013 | 04:47 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bmx246477
I just Ned to get 2 inches lower. The FBI kit is $2,000 bucks according to their website. I can't afford that. I think the seat rework maybe the the best way to go for the money.
And there are local craftsman out there that can do this for you without spending a lot of money. Check with a local Indy / bike builder. They'll know who to call for simple work. ( The lady that works at the local NAPA here has a Dad that has been doing it for years...I found that out from the manager of our concrete plant. So ask around locally.)

Old 12-25-2013 | 07:45 AM
Hewatson
Intermediate

Sent my rear shocks to Bitching Baggers and had them reworked to 11"

Old 12-25-2013 | 07:47 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

I lowered mine 1 1/2" in the rear and 1" in the front. I'm 5'6 also and it definitely helped, along with the Sundowner. I am flat footed sitting on it in the garage but after riding, not so much. Learned from another biker that the oil heats up in the shocks when riding causing them not to compress as easily.

Used Bitchin Baggers to lower my rear shocks. They do outstanding work with quick turn around. http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/

Old 12-25-2013 | 08:08 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Allen & his crew @ MCC can take care of it...give them a call.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/index....=95&Itemid=276

Old 12-25-2013 | 08:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I have a Danny Grey Speed Cradle in the garage that my 5' 2" wife used on her street glide special. We lowered the front an inch, put blocks on the rear with '13 air shocks and the speed cradle, and she had one foot flat, and the other heel was within 1/4 inch of flatfooting. My next step was going to be having her boots resoled.

Just remember you do not want to go lower in the front than you do the rear. Streetglides are already lower in the rear from the factory, so you can do the front by itself.

We looked at the FBI kit, and it does drop your ***, but what they don't tell you is it also moves you away from the controls. So being short legged, will you be able to reach the brake and shifter, and comfortably reach the handlebars? The $2000 is the base price. Do you have ABS? Your ABS manifold will have to be replaced, not sure if that is in that cost. Painted side covers? Is that included?

The FBI kit is badass, but not sure it's a solution for short folks.

When I priced one out for the wife, it was a bit closer to 25.

All I'm saying is for around $900 I had my wife's 2014 SGS low enough for her 5' 2" frame to comfortably maneuver in and out of parking spots. Riding was never an issue. I think the biggest part of the solution was the Danny Grey saddle....

Old 12-25-2013 | 09:38 AM
hogowner69
Road Master

I used the front HD lowering kit for my SG Special....and aslo added 3/4" to my boot sole....I am 5'6"...and it is perfect for me..

looks like Frankenstein in the pic...but when it is on..you can't tell

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Street Glide question?????-boot-1-.jpg  
Old 12-25-2013 | 09:43 AM
beammeup
Road Master

Before sinking a ton of money into this project I'd call Mean city cycles to see what they have to say about lowering and narrowing the seat as others have mentioned. Also, as mentioned earlier, add 3/16 insert to the heal of your boots, maybe more.
If these don't get you 100% to where you want to be then the chassis. etc. changes might not have have to be so big. I found on my last bike, 05 touring , that the HD lowered front end and lower rear shocks resulted in the floor board brackets contacting the road on twisties and lifted my rear tire off the ground pretty often. Had to "hang off" the bike on curves to have nice spirited rides through the Smokeys. Good physical work out in a day's riding.

Your results may vary, past performance cannot predict future results.

Quick Reply: Lowering Street Glide question?????