Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time for Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using it for years in fuel and old sludged up motors. I've found this stuff from stp now though. It's cheaper and stronger so a can lasts longer.
If you run it in the crankcase it will dissolve sludge. Run it through the vacuum lines of a high mileage motor and the idle seems to run like new.
Great stuff

Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Texas_Joe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
Does this stuff really work. Or is it just a bunch of hype. I'm just asking.
It's all hype and in their heads! That stuff is another slik 50 gimmick!! Take care of your bike and you won't need any of those additives. Biggest money scam in a parts store!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:37 PM
2007z71
Tourer

Originally Posted by Texas_Joe
It's all hype and in their heads! That stuff is another slik 50 gimmick!! Take care of your bike and you won't need any of those additives. Biggest money scam in a parts store!
Not entirely true. If you have ever used SF you cannot deny its ability to cut through tough gunk. I have never used it in my bike but I have used it many times in mowers and four wheelers. I have also used in many times as carb cleaner when apart. I don't know that I would ever use it in my oil unless I was certain it was flushed entirely but that's just my opinion.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope this was sarcasm. The free market has a way of eliminating products that don't work and since seafoam has been around since the 40s or 50s it must have millions of us fooled,or it works.
As far as the crankcase comment above,seafoam states when used as directed it will clean neglected internals. It's not super strong so as long as you don't put too much it does exactly what it says it will do. Just follow the directions as to the proper concentrations.
And you can leave it in for an entire oil change interval. No where does it say that it's a quick flush type product.
I used it in my girls chrysler van with the known sludger the 3.0 liter engine. We got it with 280000kms. When it ran it had a really bad tick and the when I removed the front valve cover the entire inside was caked black sludge. So I bought a can of seafoam,5 quarts of pennzoil yellow bottle and 3 filters.
Changed the oil and added seafoam. The lifter tick was gone after about 500kms. At 1000kms I changed the filter and cut it open. I found the filter was amost solid with gunk and the by-pass valve was stuck open. Added half a quart of pennzoil to top it up.
At 2000 kms I changed the filter again. It was gunked up almost as bad as the last one but the filter wasn't stuck in by-pass this time.topped up half a quart.
Ran the oil to 5000kms changed oil and filter. The oil came out like mud almost. It was unlike anything I have ever seen. Took off the valve cover. I was shocked to now be able to see metal. The cam was clean,other than a thin film of oil on it. The cam girdles were stained with varnish but it was down to metal,not crud covered. And the lifter tick was completely gone.
We drove that van another year,with just regular oil changes the oil fill hole showed major improvements. I bought her a newer van and that one is still being driven by the employees as a tool hauler and service van.
I bought it for 500 bucks because the engine sounded like it was gonna blow and the owner just wanted to dump it. Seafoam,and an actual maintenance schedule saved it.
It ran like crap too so when I seafoamed the engine I also did the fuel and vacuum lines.
All you skeptics should just try it. For 10 bucks it's a no brainer.
Sorry about the novel

Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sea Foam works. I use it in my bass boat as a fuel stabilizer. Did you guys know that ethanol based fuel starts to separate, called "phase separation" in less than one month??? Yup proven....even quicker if you have two cycle oil mixed with gas. Try this add fuel to a glass jar cap it and watch over one month...then at the same time add Sea Foam to another jar and compare the difference in a month. Another with the ethanol in our fuel, it breaks down the rubber in hoses and carb/ fuel injection systems if their not rated for ethanol. It's widely known in the fishing boating world about the effects of ethanol and the break down..
Good hose...

light deterioration of hose...

Phase separation and hose deterioration...

Phase separation in one month with two cycle fuel "premix" ...with premix add twice the amount of Sea Foam to protect from this...

....For those that don't think this is real and Sea Foam is a waste of money...great for your opinion, however your local bike shop will eventually love ya'

Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Thumbs up

Iv'e been using it for years (30+)...Use it in bike,and anything else that i put gas in. I had a Generator last year that was running rough..Even after changing out the gas.. added some Seafoam and it cleared up whatever was ailing it.
If this stuff aint working well it must be the powers of wishful thinking....
SeaFoam wishful thinking!!! LOL..

Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is always one that speaks without knowing. I have used SF for years...great product.

Attached Thumbnails 1st time for Seafoam-madman.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I'm TX Joe has never used, or experienced bad fuel/water in tank. Agree "Slick50" was probably not legit, but Seafoam's great stuff and if timberland's boat/line pix aren't proof...run it in your "single" cyl lawnmower & trimmer motors. Just recently my leaf blower was acting up and I added an oz (or 2) to the tank...purring like a kitten again.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM
captsluggo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoam in spray form, labeled as Deep Creep, is really good for storage fogging and penetrating duties too. I had a worn out outboard with one cylinder having low compression, it would idle roughly on 3, spray some seafoam i it and the dead cylinder would come back to life, but only briefly.
An Indy friend of mine hates the stuff, he says way too many of his customers have Seafomitis, they think that if an ounce per gallon is good then ten should be better.
Captsluggo

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Renold
Cruiser

Check this video out. Did this to my truck...

Quick Reply: 1st time for Seafoam