Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagless Road Kings

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a pic of my 94.

For the record, I loved the bags...way too handy, and they shortly went back on the bike, and stayed on.

Attached Thumbnails Bagless Road Kings-rk.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
roadhog96
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Classicfc
Look up NC D'Luxe's bike and say that. They're gorgeous. Each to their own. Thanks for not paring your ride but your opinion instead.
When I remove my bags to clean my bike it looks like ****, it's a 96 RK. It exposes the ugly air shocks, fender supports for bag frame rails, cast iron brake rotor, and big ugly side covers etc. it's not built like the early year FLH models were the bikes looked good with or without the bags. I'd like to see NC D'Luxe's bike who ever that is, hook me up with a link or something. He had to do an awful lot of mods to the bike to transform it from what I'm seeing when my bags are removed. I'm sticking with my original statement untill you prove me wrong, a RK is fugly without bags.

Last edited by roadhog96; 07-17-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Basically looks like an old FXR frame (I'd bet the frames have a lot in common) IMO, the shocks are mounted too far rearward for a real good bag less look. The examples shown above with all the relative bracketry removed show that some cool things can be done with a stripped bagger, but a quick change bike it will never be.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's another one ... looks pretty good to me ...

Here's another thread with a couple more photos ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gger-flhs.html

R/
'Chop

edit: since Bruisers Inc went out of business, if one wanted to do the FXR-looking triangular side panels, you would either have to get creative with some fiberglass or maybe hire a body shop to make a set of one-off custom panels ... only problem is, as someone else noted, if you go removing the saddlebag brackets from the fender it sort of renders the 'quick detach and reinstall' worthless ...

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 07-17-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,589 Likes on 2,718 Posts

Originally Posted by kleppinm
There is a company called First Shot Cycle that makes a fender skirt that hides all of that and looks good.

http://firstshotcycleparts.com
Three year old thread ressurected - nice!

I looked at the first shot stuff, seems to me you just have an ugly smaller bag to replace the larger bag. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will hop all over it.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I've seen several nice looking bag less kings, but usually the bikes have been modded some. Best looking one I saw converted to forward controls, SG saddlebag guard and engine guard removed. Looked good.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 972 Posts

I like the idea of removing the bags sometimes - the first shot fender skirts look pretty good to me - too bad only for 2014-up...

Old 07-12-2015, 04:19 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Can you say 'Butt Ugly'.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:07 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why? I rode today without the right bag didn't want to put it back on trying to get my Tmax working again must have looked f up going down the interstate

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
There was a company Bruisers that has now closed its doors ... made a kit to be able to drop the bags ... had a side panel replacement part that looked like the old FXR side panel (upside down triangle) ... also had a method of making the saddlebag support bracket look less obtrusive ...

I think that without anything 'dressing it up' ... it looks kind of 'steam punk' ...

I'll try to find a couple of photos of bikes with the Bruiser kit ...

R/
'Chop

edit:

Only photo I could find of the side panels ...

Without anything dressing her up, I think it looks like you laid her down, fcked up your bags, and are riding around without them until they get back from the paint shop.

But to each their own. I definitely understand the desire to be able to slim down the touring frame for short round town trips.

Quick Reply: Bagless Road Kings