Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A great write up and pictorial! I changed my bars to the Heritage style this weekend following this writeup and there were no surprises at all. Many thanks to the OP!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
RollingB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up and pics. Did mine today and we were done and test riding in 1 1/2 hours. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Josmo
6th Gear

[quote=dr_jay;8806459]Remove the decorative "spear" on top of the headlamp nacelle. It is held on with one locknut (5/16" socket) inside the top of the nacelle (not a word you use much in daily conversation). It just lifts off:

Next, we'll remove only the "handlebar clamp shroud". No need to remove the entire nacelle, although it's a bit challenging to get at the electrical connectors through the headlamp hole alone. Just undo the 2 screws which are right next to the fork lock:

and then one tiny screw on top which was under the spear. Here, I'm holding the small locknut and washer which are underneath. It's tight, but you can move the wires and get 2 fingers on them while you unscrew the screw:

Just pull off the handlebar clamp shroud:

Why can't I open the attached images? Sure would be helpful.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
engr146
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 rk I installed 1-1/4" thick ,heritage style 8-1/2 "rise bars .all stock no alterations needed.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
SHOAT
Road Master

Excellent instructional post! Many thanks to all who contributed. Last Wednesday I traded my 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom for a 2012 Road King and immediatly realized that the stock bars have to go. I am 5' 7" and with the stock bars I feel like I am on an 800 lb cafe racer.

I didn't see anything about the cruise control. Are the wires for the cruise ran externally? Are there any precautions that need to be taken regarding the cruise?

Thanks again for all the information.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Great write up. I rented an '11 Road King in Hawaii and the stock bars are extremely uncomfortable. The Heritage style bars will be a big improvement. SJ Ron

Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

I put the Heritage Style bars on my '13 Road King today and WOW, what a difference. I love them. The initial install had the bars lined up with the front forks but I ended up pulling the bars back towards me a little more. Took a ride around the lake on some curvy roads and the bike handles so much better. Probably the best and least expensive mod you can do to a Road King.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM
The Prophet
Cruiser
Talking

Another big thanks to Dr.Jay for this great tutorial/pictorial.

I installed the HD Heritage Bars on my 2011 RKC yesterday (Sunday, June 23). Took about 1.5 hours, at a very leisurely pace.

I used the piece of 18 ga. electrical wire as a sort of fishtape to pull the wire assembly through, with some Dielectric Grease to help. Pulled right through, zero problem.

Everything went smooth, zero issues.

Much more comfortable seating position/ride for the long haul with these bars, no more "hunched over" position, etc. Well worth it!

With regards to the green connector inside the handlebars - use a very small screwdriver or awl to press on the tiny embossed square with the dot in the middle, and the connector easily comes apart. No damage.

Lastly, I'd like to meet the designer who came up with the tiny little bolt and fender washer solution for the trim piece on top of the headlamp Nacelle. He needs a swift kick!

Did get it finally though.

Ride safe... and comfortable!

Bob

Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 AM
eray1339
Stage II
Default to Dr. Jay

About two months ago I took my phone and took the pictures of your instructions on how to install the heritage bars on a 2009 road king. My bars were the same no. that you showed. I had every picture in my phone that you gave out a took my phone to the garage and in about 2 hrs. I had them install. thank you very much, they fit me like a glove.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

I did my bike about 2 weeks ago using this thread. I'm sure it saved me a lot of time. At first was a little worried that I would't like the wrist angle, but they are growing on me fast. The real test will be in a couple weeks when I go on a week trip. I hope no more knife in the shoulder blade..... Big thanks to the OP

Quick Reply: Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King