Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best lowering kit for Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:00 PM
Big09StreetGlide
|
Intermediate
Default best lowering kit for Street Glide?

Whats the best lowing kit on the market for the money for a 09 street glide? not looking to spend more than 50 dollars. seen a couple of brands but they all look the same other than some are adjustable from 1-3 inches and not just one inch. looking to purchase tomorrow. Please let me know about some brands.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:11 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

I'm using the kit from road6customs off Ebay. Can't remember what I paid for it, that was over two years ago. I've had it on three bagger's now. I'm using it right now on the RK you see in my sig pic. I've got it in the second hole. 2 inches! They don't recommend using the third hole, saying it might damage your wiring if you bottom out and the rear tire hit's the wiring harness running inside the top of the fender. I've always had good luck with this kit. It only changes the shock angle about 5% I think it makes the bike handle and ride better. Get's the center of gravity down some. If you are interested in seeing how it looks, I will pull a saddle bag and take a picture for you.
Good luck!

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:21 PM
karbar99
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I'm using the kit from road6customs off Ebay. Can't remember what I paid for it, that was over two years ago. I've had it on three bagger's now. I'm using it right now on the RK you see in my sig pic. I've got it in the second hole. 2 inches! They don't recommend using the third hole, saying it might damage your wiring if you bottom out and the rear tire hit's the wiring harness running inside the top of the fender. I've always had good luck with this kit. It only changes the shock angle about 5% I think it makes the bike handle and ride better. Get's the center of gravity down some. If you are interested in seeing how it looks, I will pull a saddle bag and take a picture for you.Good luck!
I'm interested!
Here are a few links to the lowering kit mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ADJUS...Q5fAccessories

http://www.road6customs.com/online-s...roduct=1136465

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:29 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by karbar99
This is the same kit I've got Kabar, Here's picture's of them installed. The grade 8 bolt next to the belt adjustment cam is where the shock originally mounted. You can see it didn't change the angle much. I honestly think it made my bikes ride better. Like I said, lower center of gravity. If you get them, let me know and I'll give you some tips on installing.

Attached Thumbnails best lowering kit for Street Glide?-lowering-kit-001.jpg   best lowering kit for Street Glide?-lowering-kit-002.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011 | 02:42 PM
Big09StreetGlide
|
Intermediate

i was looking at those on ebay yesterday. I just bought some. so hopefully they'll work out good. what pointers can you give me for install? i'm installing some rinehart true duals aswell.

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:45 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Road 6 Customs!

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:55 PM
karbar99
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ronp42
This is the same kit I've got Kabar, Here's picture's of them installed. The grade 8 bolt next to the belt adjustment cam is where the shock originally mounted. You can see it didn't change the angle much. I honestly think it made my bikes ride better. Like I said, lower center of gravity. If you get them, let me know and I'll give you some tips on installing.
PM Sent

Old 05-10-2011 | 03:35 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by barrygreen
Road 6 Customs!
Just make sure you install the kit correctly with the spacers and longer bolts at the top. If you are using the second lowering holes. you might need to put a SAE washer next to the frame so the shock boot won't rub the lowering block. Don't use the third hole. I used a fender washer between my saddlebag fastening bolts to give me more clearance. PM me if you want to. I've had this kit on three bikes now. A 09 EGC, an 08 UC and now the 2010 RK in my sid pic. I also changed my shock fluid to 10 wt oil to stiffen them a bit. I ride solo and don't use any air in my shocks. The shock oil change was not necessary. I did that to improve the ride. The stock oil was too mushy.

Old 05-10-2011 | 03:42 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

One more positive thing about these lowering blocks, if you need to adjust your drive belt, you can loosen the grade 8 bolt's where the shocks originally were mounted and now holding the lowering blocks. raise the bike with your jack and the lowering blocks will swing up leaving the axle nuts easy to get a wrench on.

Old 05-10-2011 | 04:34 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by karbar99
PM Sent
Here's what I did to secure my bags. I sent you a PM with part's list. I added another fender washer to shim my bags out a little more.

Attached Thumbnails best lowering kit for Street Glide?-saddlebag-fasteners-001.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
yiwork (03-19-2016)

Quick Reply: best lowering kit for Street Glide?