Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mosendero
Booch, does the Memphis Shades mounting brackets interchange/connect to the HD Quick Detach hardware ??
I also have the HD Boom system like your and am running Heritage Bars.

Nice Bike you have there?

Thanks
MO
Thanks.
The Memphis Shades comes with hard grommets to replace the HD rubber ones. Very easy switch and it works the same as the stock. It works with the fairing and the windshields. The Memphis Shades is also very adjustable for height and angle. I have the 7" and 9" windshield and the 9" pretty much keeps all wind off me and I'm 6' 1"

Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Hey Booch.... nice set up you have.

How does the Batwing fairing compare to the small "SE wind deflector" windshield you have in your sig pic?? I've always wondered what those small shields do for wind protection?
The small windshield is mostly cosmetic. It keeps wind off my chest but still full on my face. Good around town but I wouldnt want to go on a long trip with it.
I bought it of craigslist cheap and had it powdercoated black.
I still like riding with it though.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM
SMLRoadking
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
I have it mounted on a 2 inch chromed gauge mount and a chromed P clamp, the back is still open, but a chromed gauge cup fits there nicely and they already have the hole for the wires.

One thing is for sure, now that I have had the marine remote for a while, I can't see doing away with it, it works that good.

Even when it rains and the stereo cover is pulled down, the remote controls the radio or CD player, since I put away the USB drive.

Regards,
I got a couple of Kazee Candies USB memeory sticks on Ebay, These allow you to close the door on the radio and leave the memory stick in the radio. I use one now in my truck just because it doesn't stick out an inch and a half.
[

Last edited by SMLRoadking; 05-01-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mentioned my fairing earlier, but finally had a nice sunny day to take some pics.

I have a Woody's Fairing. www.woodysfairings.com Glenn at Woody's makes a great product at a reasonable price. He was a design engineer at another brand name fairing house before he started his own shop. His radio ready pieces come with four 5" marine speakers and a weather door. It comes in black gelcoat that is beautiful and ready for paint (I left my inner in the black gelcoat and just painted the outer). There are mounting points installed for side wind deflectors.

You can choose options such as an additional 12V plug, weatherproof quick disconnect for electrical, choice of windshield height (I wound up choosing one from him, but bought a larger one later from another source), chrome trim for the windshield, Freedom Wings side deflectors.

You add your own radio. Choose the best or the most econmomical, its up to you.

In my case, I chose to send him 2 pairs of Polk 5.25" marine grade speakers and I put in a nice Sony deck. I like the fact of using 4 speakers w/o an additional amp so I can at least take advantage of all the power available from my Sony deck.

Glenn is very responsive, very helpful, and conscious of the fact that word of mouth makes his business. Nice guy.

Like TooEasy, I also bought a Sony marine grade wired remote to install on the bike. It is not in yet. He is right that it has three wire connection, positive, ground, and an 1/8" jack that connects to an extension cable that sticks into the blue port on many Sony decks. However, there is no need to run the electrical portion, it functions without it. It only serves to light up the keypad. I don't want the lights so I just snipped the electrical leads off mine.

The bundle of wires strapped to the handlebar in the first picture is the extension cable for the remote. I haven't trimmed it yet...waiting to get the can on first.

I had a buddy machine a can for me out of some tube aluminum that meets the outer an inner diameters of remote. The back is another thin plate of aluminum with some stainless bolts and nuts to secure everything (the bolts pass through mounting tabs on the remote inside the can so they draw the remote down onto the face of the can and secure the cover to the back). next, we will mock up a bracket that will mount on the front brake perch and will position the remote just over the right hand side switch housing so that I can reach the volume buttons with a sweep of my thumb with my hand still on the throttle. I will either polish the hell out of the aluminum or have it anodized black when my buddy sends some other parts for his custom bicycle business out for anodizing.

I'll see about taking some pics of the can when I get home.

SMLRoadKing...thanks for the tip...will buy some of those USB sticks, too!

Attached Thumbnails "Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?-radioview.jpg   "Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?-fairing-front.jpg   "Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?-shiny.jpg   "Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?-img_1224.jpg  

Last edited by MadIrish; 05-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SMLRoadking
I got a couple of Kazee Candies USB memeory sticks on Ebay, These allow you to close the door on the radio and leave the memory stick in the radio. I use one now in my truck just because it doesn't stick out an inch and a half.
[

I had no idea this things existed, lol. I am about to head out to the Legion and its raining, so no USB drive this time, but I am ordering some of these. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM
king dawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Memphis Shades batwing fairing with the hogtunes speakers and I really like it.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
I have it mounted on a 2 inch chromed gauge mount and a chromed P clamp, the back is still open, but a chromed gauge cup fits there nicely and they already have the hole for the wires.
Do you have any close up pics of the clamp and the chromed gauge mount? And info on where you got said clamp/mount? Thanks

Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,
Here is another idea i have done.
Sansa Clip MP3 player inside a Zippo lighter case plugged into the Aux port on the stereo.
Fairing is a Reckless one on my 07 FLHRS.

Rowle - UK.

Attached Thumbnails "Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?-cimg1056.jpg   "Batwing" Fairing for my Road King?-cimg1057.jpg  
Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
dapster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've pretty much decided on the Dragonfly fairing based on the fact that the brackets go completely through the fairing. One thing I was told that I would like feedback on, car/marine stereos do not last on motorcycles as they aren't built to handle the vibrations. Two thoughts, one, if a marine radio can handle the pounding on the water, it should last on a bike and two, if car/marine radios won't last on a bike, why are so many fairing manufacturers selling them.

Can others post their experience with Marine units (Sony, Kenwood, etc.) in their fairing.

Thanks.