Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011 | 12:50 AM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer

Lowered the rear with a kit off of e-bay, 2" no problems with it just follow the instructions and they will work just fine with the stock shocks.
Lowered the front with the progressive spring kit 1", changed my fork fluid to SE heavy and everything is just great.

Reach seat for two up riding, set air shocks at about 30lb, badlander with a MCC makeover for solo riding, set air shocks at 18lb., also changed the rear shock fluid to 10w, much better for two up riding.

Hope that helps, this took some time and trial and error to find the correct combo for me, hang in there you'll find yours.

Last edited by Grummpy Bear; 05-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2011 | 07:53 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain

I had a similar problem...ended up selling and getting a crossbones
won't say I'll never go back to a bagger..but I have so much more fun on the softail
and I guess that's the whole point

Old 05-15-2011 | 08:23 AM
bikehe
Tourer

I've found 2 up the trick to reduce the front end wobble when comming to a stop, is to pull up as quick as reasonably comfortable, for the both of you. Once you learn this you wont be going through the wobbles again. I hope you get the bagger sorted mate as once you do you and your partner will not look back. Thats been the case for me anyway.

Old 05-15-2011 | 09:55 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior

I would look at a lowered Road King before I took the huge step back to a Softail. Hopefully you can get the problems worked out with the Glide.

Old 05-15-2011 | 11:06 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

just remove the rear boards but a set of pegs and have your ol lady turn her feet outward when stopping. thats what i did and it worked out very well. now the ol lady has her own bike and i have a solo seat with no rear pegs problem solved.

Old 05-15-2011 | 11:11 AM
Rossi
Intermediate

I went from softails to a Ultra Limited too. I wasnt sure I was ever going to adjust to the extra bulk, especially with the wife on back, but loved the bike. I spent a few days riding solo, with the passenger floorboards down just to retrain my old riding habits, like stop using the front brake so much, get used to stopping with rear floorboards down, practice parking and backing up, etc. after a week I was comfortable on it, and havnt looked back. I'm short legged too. You'll get it worked out. jmo

Old 05-15-2011 | 11:32 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Coming off a Dyna, my first bagger was an 09 Electra Glide Classic. Plus now I had a Passenger. Stopping scared the hell outta me with her on back. I lowered the bike two inches in back with a lowering kit from road6customs.com 29.95 then. Started using more rear brake while rolling to a stop. Helps keep the bike more stable! I also changed my fork oil to SE heavy to stop it from diving in the front. Changed the rear shock oil to Amsoil 10 wt Shock therapy. Worked like a charm. I did the very same to my 2010 Road King you see in my Sig. Pic. The lowering kit works great! you get to keep the full travel of the stock shocks.

If you are hitting the Passenger boards stopping, you are doing it wrong. The only time the rear boards effected me was backing up...just saying!!

Last edited by Ronp42; 05-15-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2011 | 12:29 PM
bigdady
Tourer

After reading this post i just purchased they road6customs lowering kit for my Ultra Limited. and was wondering who else have used these lowering kits and how well they work ?

Old 05-15-2011 | 12:46 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by bigdady
After reading this post i just purchased they road6customs lowering kit for my Ultra Limited. and was wondering who else have used these lowering kits and how well they work ?
Here's a couple of pics of mine installed on my RK you see in my sig Pic. Third bike I've had them on. Just make sure you install them correctly. You may have to do a little shimming with washer's if you use the 2 inch holes to make sure your shocks boot clears and don't rub your saddle bags. They work great!! Cheap too!!

Attached Thumbnails Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?-lowering-kit-002.jpg   Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?-lowering-kit-001.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011 | 08:57 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

I'm only 5'8" 29" inseam start riding Harley 6 years ago on a Classic with lowering blocks and now I have 07 UC stock height it doesn't make iffy any more after about 85K combine miles on these 2 bikes. Just need to practice in empty parking lot to test your and bikes limits and don't be afraid if you laid it down it really doesn't hurt any thing except engine guard.Lowering should be last resort cause you will suffer handling.

Quick Reply: Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?