Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Stator what next

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

29987-06B is the one in the 08's. Didn't notice it's not cross referenced until you pointed it out. Anyhow, that's not showing on backorder from HD.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't stators usually fail when the rectifier goes bad ?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How could the stator blow out? There must have been a dead short in the charging circuit/battery or something else ring the electricial system without blowing the fuses and short out the stator. That should be diagnosed further I would think. Electrical Accessories failure? Something hot wired in to the system? Perhaps jump start with a flash of the wrong polarity. More info needed

My starter developed an intermittant clanking noise. Sounded like someone hitting the drive with a ball pien hammer. Only happened occasionally. Changed it out to a new SE heavy duty starter at my expense. 11k miles. Can't imagine blowing the stator.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by EG Ultra Classic
How could the stator blow out? There must have been a dead short in the charging circuit/battery or something else ring the electricial system without blowing the fuses and short out the stator. That should be diagnosed further I would think. Electrical Accessories failure? Something hot wired in to the system? Perhaps jump start with a flash of the wrong polarity. More info needed

My starter developed an intermittant clanking noise. Sounded like someone hitting the drive with a ball pien hammer. Only happened occasionally. Changed it out to a new SE heavy duty starter at my expense. 11k miles. Can't imagine blowing the stator.
Been running the same lights and extras since first service this is not an uncommon part to burn out from what Ive read

Attached Thumbnails 08 Ultra Stator what next-dsci0029.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

wow! you aren't kidding, that stator is burned up.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by dawg
29987-06B is the one in the 08's. Didn't notice it's not cross referenced until you pointed it out. Anyhow, that's not showing on backorder from HD.
Just showing not in stock at Zanotti they said 6 to 10 days I'm guessing they have to order it from MOCO first
Thanks for checking

Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Old Navy Salt
Stage III

I have an 05 FLHTCUI that I rode from northern Canada to Bend Oregon last year. Had the stator die on my while in Oregon and had it fixed there. I had about 25,000 miles on the bike. The dealership that I had this fixed at said the problem was a bad battery. I have heard it said that not recharging the battery every year can cause the stator to burn up. Anyone know anything about it? I am pretty pleased with the bike so far and haven't had any major issues with it up until last year.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
Get your stator HERE
Old thread, but my 6 month old battery was dead this morning and I have the infamous stator grommet oil leak so I am going to take the plunge and replace the stator and regulator. Dawg - taking your advice on the Cycle Electrics stators and getting a kit from JP Cycles that includes the regulator - about $480 I think for the kit. Any gotchas with this? Will I need to do the primary grinding to pull everything out if I don't pull the inner primary? What is the expected life of the Cycle Electric's stators? Hopefully better than the crap HD one...

Thanks for the link, by the way.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,791 Likes on 3,160 Posts

Originally Posted by sargek
Old thread, but my 6 month old battery was dead this morning and I have the infamous stator grommet oil leak so I am going to take the plunge and replace the stator and regulator. Dawg - taking your advice on the Cycle Electrics stators and getting a kit from JP Cycles that includes the regulator - about $480 I think for the kit. Any gotchas with this? Will I need to do the primary grinding to pull everything out if I don't pull the inner primary? What is the expected life of the Cycle Electric's stators? Hopefully better than the crap HD one...

Thanks for the link, by the way.
Just for options: Lost my HD stator at 19,000, 32,000 and 67,000 miles. ( Running 20,000 miles a year the repair come up quick!)

At any rate, this time I tried the Compu-Fire 3 phase charging system. Slightly different technology from the HD system. Might want to Google it to learn more about it.

It is by far he strongest of the systems, heated gear, extra lights etc, and so far at 91,000 miles now and 18 months old I'm still very impressed.

Got mine through Drag Spec at about $400 complete with a full 1 year warranty.

For your consideration at least....

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Thanks for that - options are always a good thing! Apparently the HD stators are junk, based on the frequency people seem to be replacing them. I am replacing the regulator at the same time, which I think is probably recommended. Hope my 6 month old $150 battery is still good...This whole thing is a guess on my part - I am assuming because a) my near new battery is dead and b) my stator grommet is leaking, that it's time to bite the bullet and just replace the whole charging system before it $hits the bed on a trip and leaves me stranded.

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Stator what next