Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" Klock Werks on a Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That 14" windvest recurve doesn't look that bad at all!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Rakeman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by usturbine
I have attached some pics with the 12 inch stock straight, the 16 inch National straight and the Windvest 14 inch recurve. Sorry apparently didn't take any pics with the Clearview windshield installed. Also in case someone notices the pics are different. I installed a Turbo Connection turbo charger in 08 while in Sturgis and yes the bike is awesome to ride. 171 rwhp/117lbft.

Dennis
Dennis I first must say that RoadRod is beyond cool, I didn't expect in addition to the fairing you had bags and a tourpack. You'll have to mention what exactly you had to do to make that work susp. etc.
You made me decide on the 14" Windvest. I measured my current shield from the trim at 14.5" and I see over it easy. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakeman
Dennis I first must say that RoadRod is beyond cool, I didn't expect in addition to the fairing you had bags and a tourpack. You'll have to mention what exactly you had to do to make that work susp. etc.
You made me decide on the 14" Windvest. I measured my current shield from the trim at 14.5" and I see over it easy. Thanks again for the help.
Rakeman

Thanks for the compliment they are always appreciated.

This post should probably be in the VRSC or Touring forum but I believe what I have done to the Vrod would also have been done to my ULTRA knowing what I know now. Mods please feel free to move this since it has strayed from the windshield issues.

1) My Vrod RoadRod basically came about as the result of I was tired of heating issues in traffic with the Airhead engines I have owned and the need to put $2000-$3000 dollars in a stock engine to get the performance I wanted. The Vrod comes stock with over 100 plus rwhp and is water cooled thus no heat issues in traffic no matter how long I let it idle in 90 plus heat.

2) I researched doing a conversion on a Vrod for a couple years until I found one on EBAY with a phone number. I called the owner but he had sold the bike after the auction ended after not meeting his reserve. He said that he only sold it because he was getting divorced and it was part of the settlement. He said as soon as he got back on his feet if the MOCO didn't have a Revo Touring bike he was going to convert another Vrod into a RoadRod.

3) I went into my local dealer in Dec 05 and my local dealer made me a killer deal on a left over 05 SE Vrod. It had all the Bling I would have put on a standard Vrod at probably a cost of $10,000 or more in parts alone so my Vrod RoadRod was born.

4) The fairing, floorboards, tour pack and other misc parts are all standard H-D or after market H-D parts. A company called CycleVisions in Cali makes adapter brackets that allow you to mount the Tour pack, floorboards, and fairing. It is excellent hardware and only required minor mods to make everything fit the way I wanted. There are several items that are not suppose to fit with some of the equipment I installed but again minor mods let it all come together. The lower hard bags are also from CycleVision and accept standard H-D lids and latches. The reason standard H-D bags cant be used is the shock angle on the Vrod is different and the bag tunnel is at the wrong angle. CycleVision duplicates the standard H-D hard bag with the proper tunnel to match the Vrod shock angle. I should also note that because some of the brackets didn't fit the way I wanted and were chromed I returned them to CycleVision and they replaced them free of charge matched to what I wanted.

5) The suspension mods are Progressive front springs and Progressive 440HD rear shocks. After 2 years someone recommended Ricor Intiminators for the front. I installed them and it made the front end a 1000 times better. More positive feedback and it virtually eats up bumpy roads with little or no movement in the handlebars.The 440's work good but looking at some Works Shocks to smooth things out a little more. The 440's are still a little harsh when loaded.

6) I have a Mustang seat similar to what I have on my Ultra always been a great seat but harsh on the spine when hitting frost heaves and the unsuspecting hole. A friend turned me on to a company in Florida called ASWEETSEAT. He reworks your seat or will build you a complete new one using orthopedic memory foam that reacts to body heat. He takes your weight, type of bike, riding style and if you have any back or spine issues. Apparently before he started making motorcycle seats he made orthopedic chairs and seats for handicapped persons. Anyway I had him rework my Mustang seats for the Vrod and that was about a 1000% increase in comfort as well. My wife has lower back issues. If we hit a bump or frost heave early in the ride it would send a jolt up her back that would last the rest of the day. With the mods he made to my seats it is almost like riding in an easy chair. It has taken almost a year to not try and lift my body when I see a bump coming and the ones I don't see haven't given me or my wife any lower back and spine jolts.

To summarize my main touring bike for the 40 plus years has been H-D FLH Electra Glides with Bat Wing fairings. The Road Glide fixed fairing with the above mentioned seat and suspension components have made this the best performing and most comfortable trouble free motorcycle I have ever owned.

Sorry this is a little long winded but like my Windshield review I think most motorcycles would benefit with some of the mods I have done to my Vrod RoadRod conversion.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Last edited by usturbine; 03-04-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
justthetip
6th Gear

Hey lp,

Do you have a couple of pics of your RG with the 12" Windvest? I originally ordered a 10" gunsmoke windvest. When I went to pick it up, the tint was way too dark. They had a 12" KW with a lighter tint that I decided to go with. For functionality I have no complaints about it. From the side it looks awesome. From the front, I'm not so sure I like the look. I am still not sure if I will keep it on there or sell it. As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures on here I will post a couple with the 12" KW.
JTT

Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Jeff Quinn
Advanced

I am 5'11", have the 12 inch Klock Werks with a C&C solo seat. i still look over the top of it, as I like. It seems perfect for me. Still hear the radio at half-volume doing 80 MPH.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 PM
justthetip
6th Gear

2010 RG with the 12" KW tinted windshield.

Attached Thumbnails 12" Klock Werks on a Road Glide-rg.jpg   12" Klock Werks on a Road Glide-rg1.jpg   12" Klock Werks on a Road Glide-rgkw12.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM
dowright
4th Gear

Did you get the 12"? How do you like it? I have a new 2010 Road Glide. I have a ruler taped to the stock windscreen and can't decide between 8" and 12".

Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 12" Klock Werks and feel it is much better than the stocker on my 2010 RG. I did notice alot of buffing with a full face Arai that made the helmet wiggle on my head. This is only at speeds of 75+ on the interstate. My boss has the Kurtyakuin ( I know I spelled that wrong) 16 inch.We traded for 50 miles. Protection was wonderful, but at 6'1 I was forced to either lower my head and look through it, or tilt back and look over it. I got my KW 12 from him because he did not like the wind noise. wearing a fullface lid I couldn't tell . I feel the 12 inch looks the best , but thats my opinion. I read somewhere that the Kw 12' blows your sunglasses off. Any truth to that? I won't be wearing a fullface once the Ohio winter moves out.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure wanted the 12" KW to work for me - I think it's the best looking of the bunch. And the view from the cockpit is excellent since the shield is lower than stock. But the noise of the wind rushing past the sides of my helmet due to the narrow pocket that this shield provided was not acceptable for a long tour. I really liked the shield around town though!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure wanted the 12" KW to work for me - I think it's the best looking of the bunch. And the view from the cockpit is excellent since the shield is lower than stock. But the noise of the wind rushing past the sides of my helmet due to the narrow pocket that this shield provided was not acceptable for a long tour. I really liked the shield around town though!

Quick Reply: 12" Klock Werks on a Road Glide