Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M 7.25 Speaker Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
bcarr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&M 7.25 Speaker Review

I wanted to give everyone feedback as one of the testers for the new speakers so I started a new thread. My review is below:

First of all, my thanks to John and J&M corp. for allowing me to test these speakers! I was excited about upgrading from the stock speakers that came with my 09 SG. I have considered many options with an amp and 6.5 speakers but just couldn’t quite bring myself to shell out all of that money especially after seeing some of the reviews on this forum (thanks by the way). When I was “selected” to receive them, John even asked if I would prefer chrome midrange and tweeter or black and I said what the heck let’s go with chrome. Glad I did as I really think it looks like an extension of the gauges and fits in nicely with the fairing.

The install:
This was my first time taking off the fairing so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had the fairing off in about 5 minutes so that was encouraging. The speaker instructions were clear enough that I had my 14 year old son doing most of the install (must be my supervisory instinct kicking in). If you follow the directions step by step, it is very straightforward. The new style bracket bolted right up with the supplied spacers and adapters without any bending as a previous reviewer had suggested (he may have had an older style bracket so I am not sure why that would be although if the spacers aren’t used properly I could see where one might bend the bracket instead). It is also important to study how the wiring from the midrange/tweeter and the factory wiring plugs on to the speakers. This could easily by done wrong and would greatly affect the sound quality. The pad for the fairing was very straight forward and basically just sticks to the inside of the outer fairing to improve the acoustics. By the way, the speaker magnets were about the size of the stock magnets which had me concerned at first but these are far lighter than other speakers of this size. It took a total of about 1.5 hours with my son doing the work and me “navigating” through the instructions. Piece of cake!

The sound:
When I first tested them without the fairing, they were very loud but lacking bass (which the instructions warn you about). Then I installed the fairing and WOW! These sound great! I did have to adjust the bass and treble as they sounded a bit “tinny” until I did so but they were set up for the factory speakers. I played multiple types of music in the garage and these speakers sounded fantastic but I knew I needed to get it on the road for a true test. I was not disappointed. I took it through town with the music fairly loud and a lot of people looking my direction. I then jumped on the interstate and got up to about 75 mph and could hear the music clearly. Not just muffled noise but I could actually hear the vocals and they sounded fantastic. Before I would get to about 65 and it was over as far as clarity goes. I played all different types of music pop, country, heavy metal (Metallica) and all sounded very good.

Summary:
While some people think the retail of $279 is expensive, I consider it a heck of a deal if you don’t need to buy an amp too. With this set of speakers it is not necessary. I am very pleased with the upgraded sound quality and ability to really turn it up as I like my music when I’m riding. The install was an easy job if you take your time and I would say anyone that has the mechanical ability to get the fairing off can easily do this job. Before you say “this string is worthless without pictures” I am attaching a link to the pictures of the install and the finished product. I did not take pics of every step as it is not necessary but it should give you and idea.

I’m sorry for the long winded post but figured in this case more information is better. My thanks again to John for the opportunity and will post more feedback later after I get more miles on it. Oh, and the ability to track the shipment almost hourly through the Fedex system was cool too. Packaging was great and shipping was right on time. Nice work guys!

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/bcarr01/

Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A weeeee bit expensive for me

Would you pay $279 plus S&H for these if you hadn't gotten them to demo?

If you answer yes, send them back pronto and show me!!!

j/k.....good write up.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

great write up, J&M is probably the pioneer of bike audio, they been around forever, I was pretty positive it would be a great improvement. can't wait for my buddy John to send me mine for free.

Last edited by leohd; 09-06-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's pricey, but probably cheaper than amp & new speakers. Thanks for the review.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to install some sound insulation on the fairing. This will reduce unwanted vibration and noise.

I wish I hadn't just bought and installed my 6.5" speakers...

Theo.
'09 SG

Last edited by boom23; 09-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for a nice write-up. I believe this is the link to the product you tested:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....252GTM-B&PF=43

The price does include the rings to mount the speakers and some material to apply to the outside fairing; can't be sure but it's probably similar to the Dynaxorb material offered by Dynamat. I used the Dynaxorb and seems to work though I have no empirical data--just sounds better: more base and mid-range IMO.

These speakers are for '06 and newer HK headunits; i.e. 2 ohm speakers.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$279 for speakers only! I don't think so. I would be curious to see a review by someone who has an amp and 6.5 speakers.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Nice write up. Since these are three-way speakers - how is the crossover handled?

Also, can the next person installing these please weight the stock rings and speakers and the replacement ones? Just curious about the actual weight difference.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What about me???

I wanna review some!!!!

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 09-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
carguy
Tourer

You beat me to it as I'm also one of the testers. I also live in Tucson so I got to do my install at J&M. Again what was said this is a very easy install. This is on a 2007 Street Glide.

I also own a 2002 Road Glide w/137k miles on her so I think I'm kind of an expert on stereos on bikes. This bike has the biketronics kit w/sony head unit and hogtune speakers. I have also tried MB Quarts, Rockford Fosgate, Sony, and an older set of J&M speakers.

The new J&M speakers on my Street Glide absolutely blow away any of these other combinations I have tried. The bass while not booming does a nice job of giving a nice full sound. The mid range and tweeter give a very bright and crisp sound.

I went down to the dealer and cranked it up in the parking lot and got quite a crowd over to listen. I had several people ask what kind of amp I was running.

The big test was over 500 miles on the super slab averaging 80 mph. As stated music and lyrics were very clear. Also what I have never been able to do in the past which with these speakers was to listen to talk radio doing 80 and being able to hear every word.

The main key to all this is that even at max volume there is no distortion. I would think for the masses that don't have our speed limits and don't approach 80 mph that these would give you all the volume and clarity you would need.

Again, thanks John for the opportunity. Mark.

On a side note. I got to hear John's new Ultra limited with his protype 7.25" in the rear pods along with the new fairing speakers. Wow, just like being in a concert hall. He said these rears should be out in three weeks or so.

Quick Reply: J&M 7.25 Speaker Review