Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klock Werks windshield effects on passengers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:16 AM
jthooligan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5'11" riding a SG. After experimenting with other HD shields, including a 6" and 9", I've come to really like the 6.5" flare. Although somewhat neutral at first, it just continues to grow on you and impresses. I used it initially for around town as the looks are stellar in MHO. But now, even on long trips, I continue to use the flare. Although it aligns with me at about chin high, the air stream hits me just at the top of my head. Since I always were a bandana, there are no issues with this wind stream and wearing the bandana over the ears also quiets the somewhat noisier flare. Road stability is significantly improved as well. Yeah, there is some wind coming through, but, it is pleasant and gives you the feeling of being on a motorcycle. What Klock Werks calls "clean air" I suppose. No tearing behind those sunglasses anymore. The wife has no complaints either and talked me into it as she loves the looks as well.

Rizzo commented on the updraft behind the shield. Try the solid air deflectors from HD. They sell for $40 MSRP but really do a great job of solving this issue. They take all the wind off your arms, elbows, and torso as well.

Anyone need a 6" heavy smoke HD shield or 9" clear HD shield; like new?

Attached Thumbnails Klock Werks windshield effects on passengers-dsc00319.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 AM
BQsHX
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KW windshield

Originally Posted by hog95023
It was fact for me. I have the 6.5 sitting in my garage if anybody wants to buy it. I installed the clearview and like it a whole bunch better. The C/W has a better look though.

I am 6'0" tall and I had a lot of buffeting at highway speed. my wife also felt like her head was in a paint shaker.

She still feels that way with the clearview though.
PM sent.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 AM
banks727
Advanced

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. It seems it helps most. I think I"ll go for the 6.5" If anyone has one they would like to get rid of, you can PM me.

I don't post much here, just read alot. I'm amazed at how helpful people are here tho. As an old former fighter pilot, kind of reminds me of the guys I miss so much.

Banks

Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 AM
DeadLevel
Cruiser
Default flare

Originally Posted by rizzo
Is this fact or opinion ? Tell us more about your experience.

Mine is the opposite, the Flare pushes the wind over and around for me - 5' -8". I've ridden putting my hands up and around my head I see and feel the difference. Now that the wind coming over is under control, I feel the wind coming under and up. Again I have been moving my legs in different positions and based on that the flow under is affected.

I've run a 4" chop and a 10" flat. The Flare is a significant improvement.
I'll chime in here. 6.5" opaque black flare. It looks sick nasty on the anniversary color Ultra. If looks could kill......... However, I also find it form over function. Yeah, I know it's not an SG and I sit a little higher (I'm 5'10)v. I put on the shield and cruised the neighborhood and some local back roads with speeds under 40. Seemed to work well at those speeds, gave me a little better feeling with a more open feeling than the stock shield. Get faster than 40, and the deterioration of fun begins. Wind noise, helmet buffeting, etc. I'm riding the Ultra for a reason. If I want the wind and stuff then I'll climb on the Dyna. BTW, the wife said the same thing. So, I'll be putting it up for sale, CHEAP, so I can go with a clearview, longview, etc, as soon as I figure out which one I want.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
1953riderforlife
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the batwing models but on the Road Glide with the stock windshield most of the air buffeting comes from below the fairing. I'm thinking about getting a pair of lowers for highway riding and trips. I think that will help more than a change in the windshield.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM
S&RSGLIDE07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a LongRide Shield. Thet are a sponsor here and you can't beat $79. for a windshield. I got mine on about 2 weeks ago and love it. I have rode with a flare windshield and being 6'2" I did not like it. I bought the 10" dark grey and I can see right over the top. No wind hitting me in the forehead.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
INZANE
Tourer

just received my 6.5... haven't tried it yet becasue i'm travelling, but had a conversation with them today, and they told me that an 8.5 inch will be ready within 60 days. He also said that it would actually function like 9.5 or 10 inch so i might be interested in one for long trips...

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM
BC Glide
Cruiser

Love 6.5" Klock Works. Cleans up the air behind the faring and I was able to turn the stereo down from almost full to about 1/3 to 1/2 volume. Still allows a bit of wind so you remember you on a bike and not in a cage.