Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Roadglide, Stereo upgrade/how-to

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Roadglide, Stereo upgrade/how-to

List of parts (main components):

1. Focal 5.25" components (Polyglass 130vr)
2. Alpine 4.150
3. Hawg-wired Universal hand control module/ radio bezel.cradle kit
4. (4) Pioneer 6x9s (Premier TS-D902P)
5. carpeted/upholstered bags
6. wires/ quick connects, etc.
7. JVC KD-AVX44, head unit

all wires soldered and ran as if they were supposed to be there... still waiting on the 6x9s, but most wires are done, radio is in and hand controls work flawlessly...

Old 05-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

some misc. picts of product, quality over just having it loud... focal is the way to go...

hawg-wired radio hand control harness and cradle bezel

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-10-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

First thing I did, was prepare myself for the install, organizing tools, product, etc. took the outer fairing off the bike, to see what i was working with.. then using a bench... i prewired the radio, installed it into the hawg wired bezel and cradle and installed it on the bike, process was simple and took literally a couple of minutes...

in this case with the dvd player aspect of the JVC, the parking brake wire can be grounded to allow video playback... also the illumination wire from the radio, is connected to the hawgwired harness to allow, hand controls to dim and brighten the radio...

unplug the maxi-fuse

prep the bike for the install, remove tank, bags, etc... i already knew i needed to run 5 wires back to the back along with the 4ch rca (5 wires are two sets of speaker wire, left and right fairing speakers and remote wire for amp... so i went ahead and ran these wire under the tank with the factory wires and used similar heat shrink to hide the wires going into the fairing...

unplug the radio harness, remove the 4 screws from the factory radio and slide the radio out

slide the new radio in and (using blue locktite) bolt it in place... plug the factory harness into the hawg wired, plug the wired remote plug into the aftermarket radio (and in my case), put the maxi fuse back in place to test the radio...

moving along, unplug the maxi fuse again...

i new exactly where i wanted to put the crossovers for the focals, so i presoldered the speaker wire onto the midbass/range drivers, making them a little longer than needed... (everything on this bike can be returned back to factory and all wires were soldered and ran to look as good as possible, even though the owner will prob never see it, or notice)...

remove the factory speaker (three main torx screws, the whole assembly comes out, then 4 phillip head screws to remove the speaker... i wanted to keep the bike/install as clean as possible, so i mounted the tweeter onto the factory speaker pods...

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

after doing both speaker pods, i installed them back onto the bike...

found a nice spot for the crossovers and wired them up, covering the wires with split loom, to ensure a clean install...

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-10-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

soldered/heat shrunk the remote wire for the amp to the JVC plugged in the rca-s... next, i worked on the bike's side of the quick disconnect... as i said, need a 5 wire quick disconnect and i found a good weather resistant plug, the 10 gauge and 16 gauge quick connects for power and ground and the 6x9s in the other bag... i soldered all wires and heat shrunk over them... as far as power and ground at a distance of 3 feet, the 10 gauge is more than enough... i thnk it works out to be capable of around 200 amps or something like that, but anyhow, it is sufficient...

I also used a circuit breaker, manual reset...

some soldering, normally get a good bead, heat shrink it, do the other wire, heat shrink that, then heat shrink to two together...lol sound like a lot...

found the place to put the breaker

ran all the wires through some loom and cleaned the area up (zip tie, etc)...

this is what will need to be unplugged, to take the bag off

i didnt quick connect the rca, because i went higher end on the speakers, they will plug right into the amp, and be easy to unplug...

in the 08 Roadglide there is plently of room behind the right cover.. i used this area to house the circuit breaker and ran the wires, so that it would appear as close to stock as possible...

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-10-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

will be adding picts and updating with text during the next few days, so bare with it, i gotta work in between all this

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-12-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-13-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 PM
rideshack
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff here.

Corey

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 05-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by rideshack
Good stuff here.

Corey
thanks brother, you have some pretty nice stuff available on your site too... i hope people check it out...

Quick Reply: 2008 Roadglide, Stereo upgrade/how-to