Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwaukee Bagger Detachable Tour Pack Rack Installation--w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Milwaukee Bagger Detachable Tour Pack Rack Installation--w/ Pics

Purchased the Milwaukee Bagger detachable tour pak rack a couple of months ago (with a 20% off list price discount for HDF members) and installed it this week-end. The short review is this: (1) it’s a nicely made unit; (2) it requires drilling holes in the bottom of the tour pak to mount on the MB rack since the MB mounting surface is narrower than the HD equivalent rack; (3) for ease of installation and removal, the rear mounting points need to be widened (I used a washer on each rear mounting point) since this rack was originally intended for wider than stock rear fenders; and, (4) the latch mechanism is different from HD’s and I may replace it with HD’s latch mechanism.

Bottom line for me: It’s a great alternative to using the HD two-up docking kit (with the chrome hoops sticking out the back of the bike) and only slightly more expensive: mine was $240 plus $15 shipping and, since I already had the HD docking kit for the solo detachable tour pak rack/passenger backrest (HD part no. 53803-06; $41.95 list price) there was no additional expense. By comparison, the HD two-up detachable tour pak rack (HD part no. 53276-04) is $179.95 list and requires use of the docking kit (HD part no. 53804-06) list price $59.95.

Here’s a picture of the rack on the bike showing the HD docking kit hardware and the latch mechanism (note: the circular "holes" are actually reflections of the pre-drilled holes in the HD tour pak bottom that aren't used due to the narrower MB base):
http://

As mentioned, the MB rack is narrower than HD’s so the pre-drilled holes in the base of the HD ’08 Ultra tour pak bottom (which is the same as any ’06 King tour pak) won't work with the MB rack. Also, the MB rack doesn’t use the chrome U-tube that HD uses (the U-tube would be too wide since it is patterned on the holes in the tour pak bottom. Here are a couple of pics of the bottom with the MB rack installed:

The MB rack was intended for wider than stock rear fenders. To mount it on my bike, it was necessary to pinch in the bottom mounting points. To make it easier on myself, I added a relatively thick washer to the inside of the HD bushing on each side. This made installing the rack much easier. MB does provide a nicely machined bushing, but its i.d. for the mounting bolt is narrower than the HD mounting bolts so I didn’t use it. Here’s pic showing my “added washer” set-up:

Whether the MB rack provides more/less/same passenger space is not an issue for me. I did take a couple of pics to get an idea of the relative placement of the MB rack compared to my buddy’s EG Classic stock HD installation. I used the tail light lens as a reference point to the bottom of the tour pak. You can also get an idea of whether the installed height of the tour pak on the MB rack is higher/lower/same as a stock installation. You can draw your own conclusions from the pics, but it seems the MB rack installed on my bike provides virtually identical passenger room and may be fractionally lower than the stock HD installation.

Here’s the MB rack on the bike:
http://]

Here’s the stock HD set-up/non-detachable using the rearmost mounting location (and, because of the U-tube, I moved the level rearward a bit to touch the tour pak bottom while keeping it parallel to the tail light lens:

And here’s the ruler next to the level I used. I wasn’t interested in the numbers so much as a relative comparison:

I forgot to take a picture of the interior of the tour pak to show the bolt locations used for the MB rack which would probably be a better reference picture of the narrower MB rack and the necessity for drilling holes. I’ll try to remember to take a pic soon and edit this post to include it.

Bottom line for me is that I "hated" the chrome hoops on the back of the bike; the MB rack doesn’t need them, so the extra work in drilling holes and adjusting the rear docking points was well worth having a two-up detachable rack without the HD hoops.

I placed the rack immediately in front of the molded rear most mounting point on the bottom of the tour pak as seen in a pic above. I could have created more passenger room by locating the tour pak away from that mounting point, but didn't for no empirical reason other than to create a more centered platform for the TP on the rack.

Haven't ridden any miles yet with this set-up. My bike is sitting still 'cause I was still putting newly painted parts on the bike. The color is candy red pearl, though my fash seems to make it look orange. I'll post again after I get some miles on the bike. In the meantime, I'm very pleased with the MB rack.

One last pic of the back of the bike with the tour pak installed:

UPDATE: I read on another forum that MB was not selling this rack anymore. Called Nick Tripi, the owner, this a.m. about this and he told me a couple of things. He has stopped listing this rack on his website, though he does have 11 left. He had received questions/complaints from some customers about the installation and rattling. So he is having a new rack designed that will use the HD U-tube and pre-drilled holes to match the HD tour pak bottom, and also use the HD latch mechanism. He didn't know when this new design would be available.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 05-04-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info and photos

Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

great info, i was wondering wht to do, with my rear fender, confirm this should work with no mod to my fender, since it is the wider one... cause if so, ill be ordering it shortly...

Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Nice Job As always..Thanks for the info and GREAT pics!!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

Nice job HPM

Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Looking Work! I've been looking at the same attachment for when I place My chopped tour pak on the bike...Thanks for the suggestions!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

UPDATE: Spoke to Nick, MB's owner, and he's redesigning the rack to pattern it after HD's tour pak holes and width (so no need to drill the tour pak or "pinch" the sides to install/remove) and use the HD latches, as well. No word on when these would be available or their price. He also said some users of the current model have called to complain about installation issues and rattling, so he's pulled them from his website.

If you want a current model, I'd call and speak to him before buying.

Edit 7/6/09: Looked at MB's website and both the chrome and black racks are back on the website @$300. If you call Nick, the owner, see if he'll give you the 20% off list he offered when I bought mine.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 07-06-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updated info on availability