Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

well, I love this feature, works great!

I too would be interested to know what is being done to achieve the cylinder cut-off, anyone?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Total BS about the cruise, all newer touring bikes have cruise. The rear cylinder shuts down when sitting at idle and the engine reaches a predetermined temp (I'm not sure what the temp is). My '09 SERG has shut down a couple of times and the sound is definately a surprise the first time it happens.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
FLoTR
Road Master

Some say that the rear shut down stays on even between ignition cycles. Mine does stay activated, but it will not work until I deactivate it with the red flash and then reactivate with a green flash. Go figure.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I don't have this feature enabled on my 08. It takes a flash from the dealer. The dealer recommended against it though because he said once they enable it I cannot turn it off. This seems to go against what I've heard. If they enable it can I still turn the feature on and off with the throttle rollback enabling procedure I've read about? Or will I be stuck with it kicking in when I may not want it to?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine's activated on my RK but so far this summer it's never come on. I don't spend much time idling though or in stop n go traffic. I do think the feature is a good idea though.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
scooplove
Tourer

Activated mine today.

<stoplight>put put put...<throttle> cough hiccup <take off>

Made me laugh, but the bike runs NOTICEABLY cooler. I like it.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FLoTR
Some say that the rear shut down stays on even between ignition cycles. Mine does stay activated, but it will not work until I deactivate it with the red flash and then reactivate with a green flash. Go figure.
It seems to me that mine doesn't stay activated...When I restart the bike and roll the throttle forward, the green light goes on...if it stood activated, wouldn't the orange light come on? So, if I'm on a parade situation or just in hot traffic, I dont take a chance and I reactivate it just as your saying...I think it is a good device....

Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesrgarner
Total BS about the cruise, all newer touring bikes have cruise.
Wrong-O! It is an option on the '09 Electraglide Classic. Don't know about other touring bikes though.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lures
Good thread, it answered most of my questions. I've got one more though, Does this system shut down the rear cylinder by cutting off the ignition or fuel or both
Fuel. Rear injector shuts down...

Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Then you are rare. Six people in my ride group have it and all have the issue. You may have it engaged but I seriously doubt it is active, it takes alot really for it to activate and shut that cylinder down. Check the rpm's next time, if not 950 you're still running with both.
I have a copy of service bulletin M-1213A covering the 2008 EITMS. (sorry I can't post it, no scan capability). It states the system fuction will activate when the engine temp is greater than 278 deg F while idleing, by turning off the rear cylinder fuel injector. It will deactivate when vehicle clutch is released with vehicle in gear. These are only the highlights of the system, there is a lot more info, but to much to post. Ask Your dealer for a copy. I have mine activate while stuck in traffic in 90-105 deg temps, engine sounds funny and idles a little rougher, but no hesitation while accelarating, or any other problems. I leave mine turned on all the time. Good Insurance! PS: Bulletin also states idle speed is maintained and mine does'nt change while the system is active.

Quick Reply: Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's