Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cyl shut down mode on 2008 Roadking

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
scoote2008
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cyl shut down mode on 2008 Roadking

I have a 2008 Roadking classic which has the the option to shut down
the rear Cylinder for cooling purposes in extreme heat conditions
heavy slow traffic and etc
This function has to be activated by the dealer
My Dealer discourages every buyer from having
the function activated citing its nothing but problems
and all we have done have come back to have them disabled
I don't know it may be just a ploy to save some time
since its part of the dealer prep and they don't do anything
they don't have to without getting paid
I ride in some extreme heat and it would be great if it works
Anyone have any experience with this option?
I would appreciate any input
Tks
scoote2008

Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think the dealer has to do it. I believe the owners manual tells you how to do it. I don't think you can do it if you have a SERT though.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The owners manaual tells you how to do it on an '09. Not sure about the '08.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM
LabRat07
Tourer

Not sure about what the dealer can do, but there is an option in the new SERT software to enable this function. I enabled it with my map and haven't had any problems. When its hot, I can hear that the rear jug shuts down when sitting idle and never had any problems 'bringing it back to life'

Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 PM
ms3300
Road Captain

I have an 08 EGC. The early 08's came from the factory with the ABILITY to perform this function but did not have the software installed. I had to go to my dealer and have the software installed (ECM flashed). IT was a simple process, took about 20 minutes. NOw I can turn the feature off/on by rolling back the throttle for three seconds. I like the feature, you can actually feel it when it activates, the bike idles differently and there is a slight odor. I have had no problems with it, I like the thought of shutting down the rear cylinder when the bike isn't moving. That jug suffers the most from heat, especially when sitting still. I like the feature and can only assume those that don't may not like the cadence of the idle or that smell, neither of which are an issue for me.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

On my 08 FLHX I never tried to activate it or deactivate it before I had the SERT Pro Tuner installed so I can tell you if it was a feature that was enabled or not on a build date of 07/08. It is enabled now though. I roll off the throttle for three seconds....the ABS (and I do not have ABS on my StreetGlide BTW) light in the tach will flash green for system on, and red for system off. Since I live like two miles from Times Square, and traffic is about as bad or worse than just about anyplace in the US I keep the system armed all the time. Over the Summer I did notice the rear cyl turn off a few times only. I could count them on one hand. To me it is very noticeable.....but it may not be so noticeable to others..it dont jump right out at you. As for how well it works.....well when the engine is hot...its hot. As for any potential trouble it may cause.....well I been wrenching on bikes since 1981, and I cant think of anything that could go wrong.....but then again, I cant think how the hell this is supposed to make a "air pump" that will cool the front cyl, or entire engine down either. Prevent it from getting much hotter....could be......but thats as far as I will go with it.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

The new down load that the dealers have now allow the rider to turn the feature on or off at will. I had the download installed 2 weeks ago. 2 months ago I was in stuck in traffic in Sturges without it and had to shut down and walk the bike from light to light because my thighs were getting fried. I think its a good thing and can't imagine what problem it could cause.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 PM
gblass1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used it on my trip to Milwaukee for the 105th. Came on a couple of times sitting in traffic at a toll booth and shut off as soon as I started moving. As far as I can tell it works great, sure can't be doing any harm.

2009 FLHRC

Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Here's a copy of the Service Bulletin on the EITMS feature released by HD.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

My 08 EGC was built in 02/08 had it turned at factory. Scared me the first time & I thought the engine had trouble.

REALBOB 08 FLHTCU

Quick Reply: Rear Cyl shut down mode on 2008 Roadking