Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating CB antenna - need adapter advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM
NoChute
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Relocating CB antenna - need adapter advice

I have a "new to me" '13 Electra Glide Ultra Limited and am moving some stuff around. I've installed a detach kit for the Tour-Pak and have moved the AM/FM antenna down to the saddlebag frame. Now I'd like to move the CB antenna to the same place on the other side of the bike but it looks like I'll need some kind of Motorola adapter at the bracket to connect the cable to the antenna mount.
Anybody done this? Is there an adapter for this or will I have to replace the cable from the fairing to the bracket with a different fitting?

Attached Thumbnails Relocating CB antenna - need adapter advice-cb-antenna-connections.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

It's been a while since I relocated mine on my 2010 Ultra but here is what I remember. My local dealer sold me what I needed to relocate both antennas. If my memory is right each side cost around $30.00. I think they have a kit but you really don't need everything that is in it. I would just go see the dealer they can pull it up on their screen. Sorry that's the best I can tell you.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:31 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Had the detach kit on my '13 UC when I purchased it. Both antennas had the relocate kit, bracket and coax, to switch between tourpack mount or lower fender mount. Actually had the hidden antenna for the radio, but PO retained the antenna as a dummy for a symmetrical look when tourpack not used. I didn't use the CB, so both antennas were left off for a cleaner look.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd think that the stock mount could be attached ( with some mods) inboard of the rt saddlebag so that your stock antenna would screw right on.

that would reuse all of your stock wiring

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-20-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:40 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

P&A has kit for 14 and newer.

http://mstore.harley-davidson.com/st...relocation-kit

I seem to remember they were available for earlier since the detach kits were listed as fitting the Ultra and Limited

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 10-21-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:31 AM
NoChute
Intermediate

Thanks to all for suggestions. I contacted a couple Radio Shops and inquired if there is an adapter and they forwarded the problem to their techs and so far no answer as to finding an adapter. Local shop was stumped too.

It looks like I'm going to have to pull the tank and replace the original CB cable with cable p/n 76505-09 that fits the bracket, More work, but hey, you gotta spend your time doing something eh? I'll order one today from my dealer.

I've already placed hidden antennas in the fairing anyway so am just keeping my options open in case I ever want to mount those eye pokers back on the bike.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I would cut the cable, solder on my own connector, and install a base and antenna with more performance if it were me relocating the antenna. I realize most don't know how to do that so guess you are stuck with what the dealer wants you to have (and pay). If you are not using the chicken band very often, why even fool with it?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 AM
NoChute
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I would cut the cable, solder on my own connector, and install a base and antenna with more performance if it were me relocating the antenna. I realize most don't know how to do that so guess you are stuck with what the dealer wants you to have (and pay). If you are not using the chicken band very often, why even fool with it?
This part is only $15 but the dealer had to order. It may just be an adapter from the plug in end to the screw in end, the parts guy couldn't tell. If it doesn't run all the way to the CB I may try to shorten it (if possible) so the connection can be put under the seat without coiling it too much. You are correct about probably never using it. 53 years of riding and I haven't used a CB yet but you never know.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:44 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I relocated my CB antenna down there. The reception is terrible. In fact, the CB had very limited range when it was mounted on the Tour Pak. After relocating it to where you are, it was pretty much unusable. Couldn't even talk to other bikes in the group I was riding with. I just took it off altogether and moved the radio antenna to the fairing to get a cleaner look. I may move the CB antenna to the fairing too. I know that's not optimal, but it can't possibly be any worse than moving it down on the frame.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:32 PM
NoChute
Intermediate
Default Done

Here's what I ended up doing.
I moved both the AM/FM antenna and the CB antenna to a mount
on the saddlebag frame. I capped them off because I'll probably
never use them there but just in case I ever do I wanted the option.

I got the adapter cable and coiled the cable connection under the seat.

I now have hidden AM/FM and CB antennas in the fairing with the option to
use antennas at the rear if I ever choose to.

Quick Reply: Relocating CB antenna - need adapter advice