Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins rear shocks and tire changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:03 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Default Ohlins rear shocks and tire changes

I ran into a minor issue today. I have the Ohlins #6 (HD-357) on my 2011 Ultra and I wanted to install a new rear tire today (it sure is convenient have a No-Mar tire changer). Seems as though the bottom eyelet on the Ohlins shock has a larger diameter than the stock Harley air shocks. I measured:
stock Harley air shocks: 1.130"
Ohlins #6: 1.300"

What does this mean? At first it confused me since I could not figure out why my 36mm rear axle wrench (OTC Tools #4882) that I've used in the past didn't seem to fit on the axle nut. Even my old Harley Combination Axle Wrench (3/4" and 36mm 94695-08) would not fit. I had to loosen the top shock mounting bolt and remove the lower mounting bolt.
Has anyone else noticed or run into this issue with their Ohlins?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have a commercial 36mm open ended wrench and a socket, haven't had any problems in the last 6-7 years and I've had that darned wheel out often enough (messing with a non-stock wheel). Having slackened the nut I usually work with the bike on a lift under the frame, so have plenty of space under the axle.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:08 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I was thinking about this when installing mine. I figure it's not a big deal for me since I need to remove the shock bolt to get the swing arm up high enough so the axle will clear the mufflers. Much easier to pull the shock bolts than the slip ons.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Please call me

I will be in the VA form 9:30 ~ 11:30 am today before or after that please both call me. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have a commercial 36mm open ended wrench and a socket, haven't had any problems
Yes, my 36mm socket worked. I wanted to use a 36mm rear axle wrench (which is thicker than a socket) so that I do not have to remove the right side muffler and in the past I would slip the wrench between the muffler and the swingarm and grab the axle nut. I would only remove the left side muffler.

Just to be clear, these are the type of wrenches I am talking about. All of which I own.

Lang Tools 9636 - REAR AXLE 36MM NUT RATCHET WRENCH
http://www.langtools.com/sku-9636-re...atchet-wrench/

OTC Rear Axle Wrench #4882
https://www.otctools.com/products/rear-axle-wrench

Harley 36 mm Combination Axle Wrench
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...h---3-4---36mm

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 03-15-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
I was thinking about this when installing mine. I figure it's not a big deal for me since I need to remove the shock bolt to get the swing arm up high enough so the axle will clear the mufflers. Much easier to pull the shock bolts than the slip ons.
I didn't even think of this. In the past, I would always pull just the left side slip on, which was always a chore even though I would re-install it using plenty of anti-seize. Are there any issues I should be aware of when adjusting the belt tension with the swing arm up high?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I have only had the rear tire off once and I had it on a jack so I was able to move the bike up and down easily. I set the belt while at approximate ride height and then reinstalled the shock. At the time, I had stock shocks but the procedure would be the same with the Ohlins. I went this route after fighting with the slip on for an hour.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:49 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Just wanted to post a follow-up to this thread.
A rear axle wrench *may* fit. It depends upon the position of the rear axle adjuster and how much your rear belt may have stretched. I ended up using two 36mm sockets.
I was going to remove the lower shock mounting bolts but didn't want the hassle of trying to figure out the correct swing arm position to adjust the belt tension. I just bit the bullet and removed the right side slip-on. Sprayed some WD-40 on it, and used a strap wrench to turn it and loosen it up. Took a bit of effort and time but I won the battle.
Re-installed using anti-seize like I have in the past.
Noticed that there was slight contact between the rubber on the worm gear clamp on the reservoir and the saddlebag so I made a new mounting bracket that moved the reservoir over 1/4" to the left. Since there is no drive pulley on the right side, there was plenty of room.

Attached Thumbnails Ohlins rear shocks and tire changes-bracket-1.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Didn't have any issue with my #6 Ohlins when changing out my rear wheel for a rear Agitator and new rubber. Certainly didn't have to fool with loosening the shocks. I remove both mufflers so I can get to stuff easily and it's a snap if you use the right tools and get the bike's rear end up high enough. Here's some shots of my Ohlins without the mufflers obstructing the view: