Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley

On the subject ofBluetooth headsets ,,,,, I could write a "novel" here about them, but no one would read it ,,,,,

Think of it this way ,,,, almost without exception, a bluetooth headset can only link to one "dongle" or transmitter at a time, and since the stock Harley audio system doesn't have any dongles at all, one or more would have to be added ,,,,

and if you add one to try and use the stock Harley stereo, intercom,CB audiosystem, in two channel stereo, the bluetooth software would never know when to switch from A2DP stereo mode, to handsfree mode, to let the mike signal go thru for intercom/CB use,,,,, and even if you devised a way that it could ((such as PTT detect for the CB)), the delays and echoes would be so long in duration and annoying on intercom, no one would want to use it ,,,,

then after a few days or weeks of charging batteries every night, pulling over to the side of the road every time one of the headsets "unlinks" because it just feels like it and simply putting up with the additional hassles of Bluetooth ,,,, you might realize how simple and convenient the good old headset connection cords we have used for yearsreallyare ,,,,

in summary ,,,, with the current Bluetooth technology as it stands today ,,,, Bluetooth headsets really only work well for motorcycles that have no type of audio system on them at all, and you just want to link to stand alone devices such as cell phones and GPS units like the Garmin Zumo550 ,,,,,,

that is the bottom line ,,,,,

Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley

and a headset that allows corded connectivity such as we have today with one bluetooth pairing (ie GPS which can be paired with say a cell phone and the GPS can regulate what is being sent to the bluetooth module? All the bluetooth module has to do is 'override' the corded input. Similar to how the current Headset setup is. Radio blastin.... then Something over the CB/intercom ... so the stereo/audio is muted.

Should be a way to get that to 'mute down' some. Hell.... worst case scenerio is to actually have the rider 'volume down' the radio portion as there is incoming from the BT portion.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

JMJohn....i disagree....i have the all new and wireless Bluant Interphone....it is totally bluetooth for up to 5 devices....it has one speaker and really thats all it needs...wind noise is nil...clarity is very good....ease of use, well, its gotta be if i'm usin it...only drawback is its only good for 6hrs....its also a full time com device up to a distance of 400ft....like i said, i own a pair and they do work very well

Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Iceman ,,,,,,

better yet is to Bluetooth the devices like cell phone and GPS into the stock audio system already on the bike, seperately of the headsets, then bring it all up to the helmet headsets via the single cable ,,,,,

then you still have stereo into two helmet speakers ,,,, all of the features on the stock audio system, along with the additional Bluetooth features, properly integratedand NO BATTERIES TO CHARGE or worry about going dead while you are riding ,,,,,,

I am all for new technology ,,, but NOT just for technology's sake ,,, there needs to be a real reason to do it differently, especially if it is more complicated to use ,,,,,

Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well... that is a good solution... however I'm not seeing the solution. Problem is:

if riding 2-up with VOX ... what superseeds what? Phone Convo or VOX-INTERCOM?

what is the PTT for.... Intercom/CB/Phone...etc? priorities are a problem with everything trying to channel through one pipe.

Volume up/down. Would that work with Cell PHones and/or GPS to hear it better?

This is why I don't necessarily believe to integrate it into the current system might be a little much.

I'd rather leave the cable-setup the way it is and have the BT portion handle BT devices/communication. BT unit is paired to BT devices such as GPS/PHONE....etc. Only BT interaction I, personally, would like to see is it cut the stereo sound down during BT communications when routing to helmet speakers. Stereo set to go to external speakers ... let the rider volume down.

Just my thoughts on it all. Really not too much of a problem if the entire 'stereo' system was BT to the headset receiver either. As long as the pairing can be set for 'priority'. That way it can 'mute' the devices lower on the priority list when communicating on the higher priority ones. (IE Don't mute the phone in use because the GPS is telling you to turn left in a mile). Those types of scenerios.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Iceman ,,,,,

that is the whole point ,,,, Blutooth cannot do all that, no matter what others say ,,,,,,

bluetooth right now is good for bringing bluetooth cell phones etc in to the stock audio system on the Harley, but not much else UNLESS you don't have a stock audio system at all,,,,,

tghenit can make some sense just to link the bluetooth headsets to the external devices of your choice ,,,,,, like on a sport bike ,,,

man ,,,, I have researched this until i am blue, green and many other colors in the face ,,,,,,

we have spent over $45K in our R&D shop alone just horsing around with this ,,,,,

anybody that things differently ,, please show me ,,,,,

sorrry to sound like an authority ,,,,,,

Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Since this is being discussed by knowledgable individuals, will someone please answer a question for me? I have a Garmin Zumo 550 which has BlueToothcapability for navigation prompts and for cellphone. If I purchase the HD Bluetooth option for my 07 FLHTCU will it connect with the Zumo and route the cell and nav communications through the radio into the hardwired HD helmet system? In lieu of this I guess I could connect the Zumo Audio Out to the Ultra Aux In and get the audio for the Nav prompts into the helmet but I am unsure what the cell capability would be. Probably would be inop...........

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can offer.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

jlelliott ,,,,,,,

we tried that ,,,, and it seems the software Harley uses on their bluetooth integration module is not compatible with what is in the garmin Zumo550 ,,,,,because no matter what we do, we cannot get them to link ,,,,,,,,,

you can link a cell phone direct via bluetooth to the Harley module and everything works great (((as long as you can hear it thru a J&M headset)) ,,,,, but not the Zumo,,,,,

the '06 and later Harley system works best with the cell phone linked thru their bluetooth module and the GPS/Music/XM source thru the aux audioinput ,,,,,,

then plug in the good o'l wired J&M helmet headsets and you have one of the best performing systems ever made ,,,,,,

Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 AM
tizone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although, I would imagine if you have the GPS/XM Zumo 55 unit plugged in to the aux input on the factory radio, you have to choose between that, and listenig to the factory radio or a CD. It would be my guess that you would have to select AUX as the input so you couldn't be listening to the radio or a CD and still hear a gps voice prompt when it came up.

I am guessing because my Ultrais not yet ready to be delivered. I was hoping I could pick it up today, but now it looks like I am stuck until Friday. Monday it goes in for the Rinehart TD, a Thundermax, & a K&N A/C!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

tizone ,,,,,,

you are correct ,,, but if you add the XM sat radio option to the Zumo550 ,,,, then you have sat radio in thru your aux input, along with the GPS route commands ,,,,,,

and the cell phone coming in thru the Harley installed cell phone bluetooth link ,,,,,

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley