The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HARDcore bikers wear chaps? or no? or nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:32 PM
SikRyd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HARDcore bikers wear chaps? or no? or nothing?

I ride, so I am not real big into these forum things. But since I just moved again and now live in Maryland and hadn't found any biker buddies and places to ride, I figured HDF would be a good place to start to get some info.
Since being on here though, I haven't good very much info, or a good vibe from the posts from some people on here.

I see a lot of people on here who are more worried about being considered a "HARDCORE" biker, instead of just riding and enjoying life.
These same guys absolutely won't ride ANYTHING else except a Harley, yet claim they won't wear anything Harley, cause then you look gay and are a billboard for the brand. I guess its only cool to wear indy shirts - especially from Indy companies that make sh!tty hardtails that aren't good for anything except bar hopping, if that. BUT they LOOK cool, and not gay so its alright. (Truth be told, they wear Izod and Polo with the cool little horse dude embroided over the left
chest)
About as impressive as the trol that had the signature line " I like to get down, just ask anyone around town". Lik that is supposed to impress me that you like to fight for no reason at all. He MUST be a REAL HARDCORE biker!!! lmao.
I still don't know what the big deal is with fingerless gloves, but oh well, I will leave that for the HARDCORE bikers to judge and explain it to me.
Someone should have told me a long time ago why I shouldn't wear chaps and what the problem with them is, cause I still do and they keep me warm while riding when it is cold out. I guess if you are HARDCORE you just ride anyway and stay cold. (or the truth be told, these so called HARDCORE JUDGES don't ride at all when it gets below 50degrees, cause they once again might LOOK gay!)

I wear all kinds of Harley stuff, cause it WORKS for what I bought it for. Not too worried about whether it suits other people. Including the gloves, boots, chaps, jacket, ect. (All off the sale rack, cause then it becomes sort of affordable. - I can't imagine paying full price for some of this stuff, knowing it is going to go down in price to make rooom for "next seasons" designs. I never imagined it would actually be like that where they have different designs for the different years/seasons !!!
Being a biker to me means going out and riding, seeing the U.S., meeting people from all over, staying in campgrounds, getting drenched in some mid-west thunderstorm that you watched coming at you for the last 50 miles since it is so flat out there, still riding in the same thunderstorm freezin' you a@@ off - with a smil on your face knowing you are going to come out the otherside to some beautiful weather and a freshly "washed" biike. Planning weedend get-a-ways with a destination in mind but staying wherever you end up, having dinner and BSing with "local" guys you never met, talking about your journey and getting tips on where to stop along the way for the next days travels and ending up picking up a rider or 2 to tag along and show you the local sights...ect. ect. ect.
I thought THAT was what biking was about. NOT worrying about what you look like (especially after cruisin' through a thunderstorm with dirt and everything else flying up on you and the bike - or all the nice critters stuck to your forehead from the dust and dawn flyers).
But thats just me. I am sure there are others here that feel the same way and just do what I do and read some fo the posts and wonder where these guys find the time or wherewithal to post some of this crap, and move on to another thread hoping there is something better.........

What happened to being a biker meant you RODE, not that you talked about it - and other people, but that you actually got out there and enjoyed riding and shared your stories with other guys that enjoyed the same...

Last edited by SikRyd; 10-13-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:49 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Awww man, now you went and done it! They're probably running your address right now and are sending a crew out to kick in your door. I'm afraid to answer your question, I might be the next one to get the call, but I'll take my chances. I've given up on being a hardcore biker, I'll leave that for the young un's now, but I been ridin' a long time and here's my take on chaps:

Wear chaps?: Sometimes when the weather dictates them.
Or no?: Correct, when it is warm enough to not wear them.
Or nothing?: Sometimes, but not when I ride, I'm not all that attractive with nothing on. There were a couple occassions though wher it was nothing AND chaps, but it was very private and well, that's another story.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SikRyd
I ride, so I am not real big into these forum things. But since I just moved again and now live in Maryland and hadn't found any biker buddies and places to ride, I figured HDF would be a good place to start to get some info.
Since being on here though, I haven't good very much info, or a good vibe from the posts from some people on here.

I see a lot of people on here who are more worried about being considered a "HARDCORE" biker, instead of just riding and enjoying life.
These same guys absolutely won't ride ANYTHING else except a Harley, yet claim they won't wear anything Harley, cause then you look gay and are a billboard for the brand. I guess its only cool to wear indy shirts - especially from Indy companies that make sh!tty hardtails that aren't good for anything except bar hopping, if that. BUT they LOOK cool, and not gay so its alright. (Truth be told, they wear Izod and Polo with the cool little horse dude embroided over the left
chest)
About as impressive as the trol that had the signature line " I like to get down, just ask anyone around town". Lik that is supposed to impress me that you like to fight for no reason at all. He MUST be a REAL HARDCORE biker!!! lmao.
I still don't know what the big deal is with fingerless gloves, but oh well, I will leave that for the HARDCORE bikers to judge and explain it to me.
Someone should have told me a long time ago why I shouldn't wear chaps and what the problem with them is, cause I still do and they keep me warm while riding when it is cold out. I guess if you are HARDCORE you just ride anyway and stay cold. (or the truth be told, these so called HARDCORE JUDGES don't ride at all when it gets below 50degrees, cause they once again might LOOK gay!)

I wear all kinds of Harley stuff, cause it WORKS for what I bought it for. Not too worried about whether it suits other people. Including the gloves, boots, chaps, jacket, ect. (All off the sale rack, cause then it becomes sort of affordable. - I can't imagine paying full price for some of this stuff, knowing it is going to go down in price to make rooom for "next seasons" designs. I never imagined it would actually be like that where they have different designs for the different years/seasons !!!
Being a biker to me means going out and riding, seeing the U.S., meeting people from all over, staying in campgrounds, getting drenched in some mid-west thunderstorm that you watched coming at you for the last 50 miles since it is so flat out there, still riding in the same thunderstorm freezin' you a@@ off - with a smil on your face knowing you are going to come out the otherside to some beautiful weather and a freshly "washed" biike. Planning weedend get-a-ways with a destination in mind but staying wherever you end up, having dinner and BSing with "local" guys you never met, talking about your journey and getting tips on where to stop along the way for the next days travels and ending up picking up a rider or 2 to tag along and show you the local sights...ect. ect. ect.
I thought THAT was what biking was about. NOT worrying about what you look like (especially after cruisin' through a thunderstorm with dirt and everything else flying up on you and the bike - or all the nice critters stuck to your forehead from the dust and dawn flyers).
But thats just me. I am sure there are others here that feel the same way and just do what I do and read some fo the posts and wonder where these guys find the time or wherewithal to post some of this crap, and move on to another thread hoping there is something better.........

What happened to being a biker meant you RODE, not that you talked about it - and other people, but that you actually got out there and enjoyed riding and shared your stories with other guys that enjoyed the same...

Sorry, your post is too long to read, especially about the subject. My thought about what to wear while riding is I wear whatever is necessary to be comfortable. I don't care what other people think of my dress, I don't dress to please them!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

I've been riding over 30 years and never knew the meaning of hardcore biker. I do my own thing and don't worry about what others think or wear. Thoughts like these are pointless and jade the experience, ya know.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man this place is hilarious!!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I always thought a "Hard Core Biker" was a Buffed Marine Riding a Bicycle. (Sorry bout that) couldn't help it.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-07-2016)
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I always thought a "Hard Core Biker" was a Buffed Marine Riding a Bicycle. (Sorry bout that) couldn't help it.
before you all jump my Sh*t. I know it's Corp and not Core. Just a play on words/spelling.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm not sure about bikers but I believe that HARDcore **** stars wear chaps, or no, or nothing is a true statement.

Myself, I'm probably not normally considered a biker or **** star but I enjoy both activities. Sometimes I wear chaps.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

People are taking those Motorclothes catalogs way too seriously.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
Sorry, your post is too long to read, especially about the subject. My thought about what to wear while riding is I wear whatever is necessary to be comfortable. I don't care what other people think of my dress, I don't dress to please them!
I would definatley not wear a dress. It would be hard to ride in, constantly blowing up in my face and it would just be an invitation for the "hard core" bikers to kick my a$$. Besides, my legs are not very appealing. being a geezer I care no longer what others think, but a dress is way out of line. Now a kilt maybe.......

Quick Reply: HARDcore bikers wear chaps? or no? or nothing?