Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Hey everyone!

So I ended up getting a 2005 Sportster 883L and I absolutely love it! Got it from Phoenix and rode it back to Tucson and it was a wonderful ride!!
When I get home to my apartment complex, I park it in my covered spot, but the kickstand down, turn the handle bars all the way to the left, and then put the key inside the handle bar lock to lock it and the key turns perfectly fine and the handle bars lock perfectly.

This morning I wake up wanting to go for a ride and it looks like someone ****ed with my bike or I don't know what happened. I'm just shocked because this is the 2nd day I own the bike and there's my luck...
But anyways, I put the key inside the handle bar lock and the key doesn't turn at all!! It is still in the lock position but I can turn the handle bars but I cannot turn them all the way to the right. It stops right before a complete turn to the right. I can center the handle bars and turn them all the way to the left just fine, just not to the right...

Now I was told by a friend that when I insert the key inside the ignition, however much it goes in, when I put it inside the handle bar lock it should go in just as much. Well my key doesn't! It does NOT go in as deep as inside the ignition...

So what is the problem? And will it be expensive to fix?

I'm sorry guys I'm just sad this happened to me on my first bike, first night...
I hate arizona... just too many losers who try and mess with other people's stuff and as soon as I graduate from the U of A I am OUT of here!!

PS: Am I allowed to shoot someone trying to steal my bike?

Here is the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svDDs...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by n1x1n; 01-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,724 Likes on 3,949 Posts

Did you try up-righting the bike and pushing on the bars a little to get the pressure off the switch? Then wiggle the key in to rock the pins if you must.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-15-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Did you try pushing on the bars a little to get the pressure off the switch.
Yes I did try that... The key just doesn't go anywhere. Like I can insert the key and take it out just fine, but it will not turn at all.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

I just took a video so I'm going to upload right quick and put it in the first post...

Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,724 Likes on 3,949 Posts

Just took a stab. Yours is different from mine and the Dyna family with the barrel key. The Sporty experts will chime in here shortly. Guess if someone forced it not telling what it bent or jammed. See any physical damage. I'll look for the Sporty part fish for you. Only have a Softail and Dyna manuals

Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Just took a stab. Yours is different from mine and the Dyna family with the barrel key. The Sporty experts will chime in here shortly. Guess if someone forced it not telling what it bent or jammed. See any physical damage. I'll look for the Sporty part fish for you. Only have a Softail and Dyna manuals
You are so kind... I really appreciate it

Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 48 Posts
Default On my previous 2006 883

I tried the lock in my garage and had a similar issue. I sprayed the lock with WD-40 and ran the key in and out a few times and it worked as advertised. Looking forward to the video. If someone messed with the lock I would think you would see signs of it. If they sat on the bike and tried to force the bars then that would be different.

They used to shoot horse thieves, and I think we should still be able too!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nailz
I tried the lock in my garage and had a similar issue. I sprayed the lock with WD-40 and ran the key in and out a few times and it worked as advertised. Looking forward to the video. If someone messed with the lock I would think you would see signs of it. If they sat on the bike and tried to force the bars then that would be different.

They used to shoot horse thieves, and I think we should still be able too!
Thank you so much Nailz for your input... I am uploading the video as fast as I can!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how mine works with the steering locked to the left and on the jiffystand:

Put the key in the steering lock. Let go of the key. Turn the handlebars to the right one inch. Turn the key to unlock.

FYI - I had a similar situation the first time I locked my forks in a parking lot. My key isn't the easiest to insert to begin with and I was thinking, "How in the world am I going to get this unlocked?" Took me 15 min of standing there to figure it out. I felt like I undid the Gordian Knot once I got the key to turn.

I think the key should go all the way in.

Good luck.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 01-15-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Further detail
Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM
BucNastyFlo
Intermediate

I went to college at UofA as well. One morning I walked up to my car and put my key in the door. I did a double take as my entire interior had been stolen. Seats, dash, center console, shifter ****, etc. The scumbags left the car of course. Good luck and try and rent a garage if you can...The close proximity to Mexico ensures cars and bikes are stolen and in another country before you can even report it.

Quick Reply: Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...