Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rigid struts on sportster

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
daved3
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100 bucks isnt bad at all.

I'm considering struts myself. gotta take care of a bunch of other stuff on her first though.

no matter how uncomfortable people may or may not think they are , they look really good. IMO

Last edited by daved3; 12-15-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones on my bike retail for about $180. Not a huge investment but not an insignificant one either. I like it and I can ride all day no questions asked.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got these for $30.00 shipped from eBay.Can't remember the guys name but he'll make 'em whatever size you want.I rode around for three years on these..........hard.The welds are excellent and if they haven't cracked yet I doubt they ever will.There's no need to pay alot for these..........there's not much to them

I rode with struts for three years almost everyday,regularly doing 2-300 mile runs without springs under my seat.........I am in my forties.

Attached Thumbnails rigid struts on sportster-052508_13021.jpg  
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have a cool bike Fanda M. I bought a seat like yours for one of my bikes because of a pic you posted in another thread.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking a rigid will accelerate harder too. i mean there is no take up in suspension on a rigid,. So instant throttle response. Just my opinion.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 PM
89heritagesoftail
Tourer

i love mine! rode to Sturgis and back... 400 miles one way. the interstate, messed me up, but that's the concrete rectangle blocks making the bike see saw every half second. and only 100 miles of the trip.

ordering my led sled rear weld on kit tomorrow. will still be a rigid, but they say it's even a better smoother ride compared to struts.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

i MTN bike a lot and use a hardtail every time, i had a dual suspension but hated it, it was heavy and a dog on climbs i sold it in less than a year. i preferred the hardtail much more and ride nothing but a hardtail. it's not a motorcycle but i've hit 40-50 mph i'm sure, maybe even faster on much rougher terrain than i'll ever hit on a motorcycle.

i would love to weld the frame or even swap it out for a hardtail frame and do it right but i'm on a budget, i don't want to put a ton of money into this, but i do have a vision. not really sure what to do with the turn signals and all that stuff yet, one piece at a time i guess, i got all winter.

thanks for the replies i appreciate hearing from those who actually ride with them, seems like rigid struts are not nearly as bad as those that don't use them would make them out to be.

i do notice on other boards where guys are really into customizing they are militant against something like this and say it'll look terrible. my take is it already looks dated and pretty bad IMO and it's going to look better when i'm done with it, it won't look like a 20K custom but that's not what i'm going for anyway. i tend to think a lot of these guys don't even have bikes but just talk about what's cool and what's a poser bike, can't even ask a question at these places without getting killed for it, at least here you can get a legit answer in between the smarta** comments

Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

89 heritage did you chop that fender or buy one already fabricated? i want to cut mine similar but i wouldn't be able to get a line like that with a stock fender on a 98 i don't think. depending on the price it may be better to pick one up already fabricated.

thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cpitch
The ones on my bike retail for about $180. Not a huge investment but not an insignificant one either. I like it and I can ride all day no questions asked.
Where did you get yours at? Ive never seen the billet aluminum ones.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SauerKraut
I'm thinking a rigid will accelerate harder too. i mean there is no take up in suspension on a rigid,. So instant throttle response. Just my opinion.
Having, or not having shocks is not going to anything for acceleration. Unless you somehow have your shocks connected to the drive belt??

It may "feel" like a harder start, but that's because the struts are harder than shocks, and you just won't feel the bike flex with the shocks. But, it won't make it accelerate any faster or harder.

Quick Reply: rigid struts on sportster