Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.O.B. Sportster's engine light & battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:20 PM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S.O.B. Sportster's engine light & battery light on

Well just when I start to really depend on My 2006 1200C the friggin battery light and engine light came on. Checked My ground cable and it was tight, + was tight also. Ran the Diagnostics and it red ....PO562.... followed by PN 32883-046 . I downloaded and printed out the codes I found somewhere here on the site but My number PO(o or zero ?)562 ? Nothing smells bad like a burnt stator ( i red that here also ) but who knows. I believe this is the original battery so I'm hoping it's just that. The battery has been on a float charge . I have a shark amp and speakers hot wired to the bike also and those connections are good as well. I am not a mechcanic or even play one on TV, but I'll fake it if it's a easy fix . Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I have a clymer's manual and I know it's not the HD 1 , but if it's beyond the Clymers I have wrenches i can trust to do big ( bigger than changing bulbs and up ) repairs . Thanks .....WVleo

Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
WVleo
Road Master
Default Found the code

Ok I searched a little further and found out the meaning of code P0562. It stands for " Battery Voltage Low " . ? So I'm thinking My 2006 XL1200C needs a new battery ????? OK whats the best battery for the bike, gel ? , regular battery ? . Looks like it's a bitch to change ? And when I say bitch I don't mean someone You cuddle up to at night and sneak out from in the morning ! Thanks WVleo

Old 09-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

Sorry to hear it, but instead of advice I have a rather funny story/warning. A friend of mine "replaced" the battery on his 04 Dyna, but when he got it all put back together and fired up the bike, he had a small fire, so he shut it down, took it to the stealer...apparently what happened is that either one of or both of the battery terminals (not sure, I never actually saw it) were in contact with the bike's frame and that when he put the current throught it it actually welded itself to the frame. Didn't think anything like that was possible.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WVleo
Ok I searched a little further and found out the meaning of code P0562. It stands for " Battery Voltage Low " . ? So I'm thinking My 2006 XL1200C needs a new battery ????? OK whats the best battery for the bike, gel ? , regular battery ? . Looks like it's a bitch to change ? And when I say bitch I don't mean someone You cuddle up to at night and sneak out from in the morning ! Thanks WVleo
I like AGM batteries myself, but I'm still on the original battery in my Sporty. AGM batteries withstand deep discharges, high heat and heavy vibrations better than gel batteries and FAR better than the normal lead acid batteries. My other bike has had an Odyssey AGM in it for more miles and more years than my Sportster will *ever* have.

Here's a link to the one I'd go with, though I have not checked to make sure they fit in the bike.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/

Stators, I'd definitely pay someone to fix that. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and it's well within my ability to change - I just didn't enjoy the job last time I had to do it (on a 1985 Sportster.)

If you're simply getting a low voltage error, I would do the battery first simply because it's easy. Also, a 2006 battery is probably getting ready to be replaced (I always count on lead acid batteries lasting 2-3 years)

Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Krakanator
were in contact with the bike's frame and that when he put the current throught it it actually welded itself to the frame. Didn't think anything like that was possible.
It's very possible. I accidentally welded a screwdriver to the sheet metal of a truck... I only had to make that mistake once!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

new battery can't hurt, +1 on AGM, but do cet a volt/ohm meter and check that stator. I haven't looked, but I'm sure you can find out how on these boards, or through google.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Needs a new battery, or a voltage regulator. If it's the voltage regulator and you run it for very long, that will fry the stator. Trust me on this.....

Test out all 3 of those before you start just making replacements. It will save you time and money.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
WVleo
Road Master
Default Thanks

Thanks I was going to change out the battery anyway as it would be going on 4 years old .It's been on the battery tender for 40 minutes and still yellow light . I will look into the ones mentioned . And I was thinking My next check would be the voltage regulator if the battery didn't fix it I wanted one of the chrome ones anyway . Thanks WVleo

now off to find the hood latch

Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 06 XL. I replaced the regulator and still the same thing. Turned out to be a loose ground connection at the engine. On the primary side at the starter is wire that connects to the battery. The nut had vibrated loose. Good Luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM
WVleo
Road Master

Well changed out to a AGM battery clean and checked all connections. Applied dielectric grease where applicaple. Put the meter on the Voltage regulator and it red 0.00 which is good. Even checked the bolt Wraith had informed Me about . Still getting the Battery Low Voltage code. Plugged the new battery into the float charge and it is still charging. .......WVleo

Quick Reply: S.O.B. Sportster's engine light & battery light on