Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 Sportster 1000 XLH primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
moospis
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 Sportster 1000 XLH primary cover

Hi all- I have a 1979 Sportster 1000 XLH and I need to adjust the primary chain. I need to take the cover off, adjust the chain, put on a new gasket and then attach the cover. Is there a special RTV I should be using on those screws when putting back in? And is there a torq spec for these screws? This seems like a pretty easy thing to do. Any one got any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My best suggestion to you is to buy / acquire a service manual for your year and model motorcycle because it is practically impossible to adjust the primary chain if you remove the outer primary cover, because the plastic / nylon adjustment shoe is located inside the primary cover along with the bolt that adjusts the pressure on the shoe itself. I have a 1000 CC Harley ’77 XLCR and to adjust the tension on the primary chain all you have to do is adjust the pressure on the primary chain by making the adjustments to the primary chain adjustment shoe and the bolt to that is under the outer primary cover. You back off the locking nut and adjust the shaft so that there is more force / pressure on the shoe and then the shoe will put more pressure on the primary chain. You check on the primary chain tension through the primary chain inspection cover. When the primary chain tension is correct then tighten down on the locking nut under the outer primary cover. I eventually installed a spring loaded adjustment shoe so that I really never have to adjust the primary chain again. It is a cheap and easy install to do. My transmission shifts much better with the spring loaded tension shoe too! In any case, Good Luck with your adjustment and ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails '79 Sportster 1000 XLH primary cover-xlcr1.jpg   '79 Sportster 1000 XLH primary cover-bike.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 AM
moospis
2nd Gear

Thanks XLCR for the info. Yeah, I do have the manual and it says I can adjust the tension without removing the cover but my mechanic told me I need to take the cover off and replace the gasket, etc. He is a good mechanic and charges me $30/hour. The only thing is the manual says you may need to hold the shoe while adjusting the tension. Maybe that's why he feels the need to take off the cover. Anyway, I will try myself and see what happens. It may hit 65 here in SW Minnesota today! Hoo Hoo

Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Like the first guy said get a factory manual. The procedure will be very clearly spelled out. When I have to remove the primary cover on my bike I always use a new gasket but don't put anything else on it. I'll bet someone will recommend using some sort of gasket sealer and that will be a good idea. RTV gasket sealer is not the way to go though.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't touch that bike until I got a manual.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 PM
moospis
2nd Gear

Hey Carl and XCLR- I do have a manual and it said I can adjust the primary chain without taking off the cover. So I went out today and loosened the nut under the tranny, backed off the nut maybe a turn and a half and retightened the nut. It tightened my primary chain up and I got it to the recommended 5/8" or so. I then took it out for a test drive. Wow, what a difference. The bike was much smoother and was more responsive. And the constant clacking sound is gone from the tranny that used to be there. Thanks for the help!!!