Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Iron passenger pillion options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Prime
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaps

I was looking into pillion pads but my wife said she would never get on the bike if that was all I had for her to sit on...
haha, i hear that... I'm probably going to have to buy a removable sissy bar for my better half...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

[QUOTE=paolu79;4837409]I think for the iron look it's very nice a suction pillon. I have a "phantom pad" pillion on my nightster and it's very cool!

Hmm, I tried a suction phantom pad on my 883L and it didn't really fit - pad was too wide so some of the cups didn't stick - sent it back. Maybe the new Iron has different size fender than a 2005 883L?

I just put a Mustang passenger seat on when I plan on a passenger.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an XL50 seat for sale. I used it for 2-up riding on my Nightster. Here's a pic. PM if your interested.

Attached Thumbnails 883 Iron passenger pillion options?-camera-123.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prime
haha, i hear that... I'm probably going to have to buy a removable sissy bar for my better half...
ehem I might just happen to know of a certain backrest that might just work for your better half. Not sure about what pillions would work... I would guess anything that works on the Nightster

Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Airscribe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat and Passenger Pillion

I put a Mustang Tripper with a matching detachable passenger pillion on my Nightster. The seat is infinitely more comfortable than the stock seat. The pillion is also tapered so that it doesn't mess up the lines of the bike. I got it through www.mustangseats.com.

Attached Thumbnails 883 Iron passenger pillion options?-img_1991.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Airscribe
I put a Mustang Tripper with a matching detachable passenger pillion on my Nightster. The seat is infinitely more comfortable than the stock seat. The pillion is also tapered so that it doesn't mess up the lines of the bike. I got it through www.mustangseats.com.
That actually looks pretty good for a detach passenger pillion.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
ehem I might just happen to know of a certain backrest that might just work for your better half. Not sure about what pillions would work... I would guess anything that works on the Nightster
Hey what seat setup do you have on your bike in your signature? I like it!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranalli7777
Hey what seat setup do you have on your bike in your signature? I like it!
Unfortunately that is not my ride... that belonged to tweakin... a member here. I'm in the process of saving for a Nightster (D@mn student loans). If I had to guess I'd say it lookes alot like the Mustang Tripper but you might wanna ask tweakin as he would surly know.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Prime
Advanced

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
ehem I might just happen to know of a certain backrest that might just work for your better half.
Oh don't I know it. I'm a big fan of your stuff, unfortunately my bank account does not share my enthusiasm.

I'll get one soon enough...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Harlequin
Stage III
Default Pillion Seat Problems

Originally Posted by ranalli7777
Hey everyone,
I just picked up my iron last weekend and my girlfriend really wants me to get a passenger seat for her. I've been searching and can only find one passenger seat for the iron. It's the one in the 2009 harley accessories book part #51744-07. Is this all that us iron owners have to choose from? Or will a passenger seat for any 883 model fit right on? Any help is appreciated.
Hi All,

I see this post is a little dated now but thought I'd put my input out there for you all. Just bought my first Harley, yup the 883 Iron, and like you, trying to find a pillion seat that'll fit without detracting from the overall look of the bike.

Now I was told by my HD retailer that any XL part would fit the HD 883 Iron. Wrong! To my demise I found a pillion seat that fits snug with the solo seat, only problem is, the XL model up to 07 is slightly different to the new 09 models. Differece is, the bracket that holds the solo seat (09 model) to the rear fender is attached the seat with a click in mechanism, wheras the older models are held in with two bolts. The way the pillion seat and the solo seat link together are either via bolting on (if the older model) or clicking in (the new model). I only found this out after buying the older pillion bolt on model, which wasn't compatible with the solo model on my 09 HD.

On top of that, the retaining bolt/spacer that holds the solo seat in place, this needs to be moved to the rear hole in the fender... problem number 2... the hole for the solo seat is keyhole shaped, whereas the hole to the rear of the fender is just about the size of the bolt itself, and will not house the keyhole shaped retaining bolt/spacer. So... the question is, even if you purchase the correct seat, how the hell do you get it on without ruining the rear fender? All I can see is that you'll need an extra spacer, but the finish will not be as neat as one would expect. Plus, the easy slip on, slip off of the rear seat that I was hoping for is long gone.

Excuse the ranting guys, but think HD overlooked this and are wanting the Iron to remain a solo rider (fine with me, not so fine with the lady). Only thing I can think of getting now is a suction pad, but not 100% convinced this is what I want.

Your comments and ideas welcome guys and gals, and interested to know if you have a keyhold shaped hole to the rear of your fender or not and if so how you overcome this easily without risking ruining the rear fender with scratches etc?

Cheers guys!

Angelo

Quick Reply: 883 Iron passenger pillion options?