Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well its time...the Sporty must go

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Silvia
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well its time...the Sporty must go

After a year of going back and forth with the Sportster I finally purchased a new 2008 Buell Ulysses. I never quite felt comfortable on the Sporty, it will be missed. I must say I am very impressed iwth the Ulysses though. It is a much more comfortable ride that I imagined. Plus the 103 HP isn't to shabby either. So if anyone was interested in a Ulysses, let me know any questions and I will let you know my thoughts.

Also if anyone is interstedl, the Sportster is for sale...$4999
http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/623990970.html

Old 03-30-2008, 12:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Well its time...the Sporty must go

Enjoy the new bike.

I believe I mentioned it before, but a couple weeks ago I had the chance to ride a friends Ulysses (XB12 model or something like that)....

It was quite a treat, and with 100+ horsepower and a weight of only around 425 pounds it really moved on down the road.....

I could be very tempted to purchase one, as it would make a great go anywhere, do anything "Adventure Riding" type bike...

Enjoy...

Old 03-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new Buell!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find myself in the same position. Because lately, when I crack the throttle open all the way, I've started thinking, "Really? That's it?" When I hit the curves, I think, "If I could lean just a little more, I could attack this curve even faster..." And my wife isn't happy at all on the back of the Sporty. I hear rider and passenger comfort are great on the Uly.

I'm really very interested in the new Uly XT, so I'd be fascinated to hear what you think in a direct comparison between the X and the Sporty. I need something that's a bit more squidly in performance for me, and more comfortable to ride pillion for her.

But I really would have a hard time pulling the trigger on a UJM bike.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
froogle
Cruiser

Wow this is an interesting thread for me because I went the complete opposite direction. I started riding 22 years ago (at 16), and spent 21 years exclusively on naked sports bikes, then fully faired ones. I used to ride back home in England in full race leathers constantly, and prided myself on heavily scraped knee sliders. I've never high sided the bike, but I've come damn close.

When I moved to the States, I got a hankering for something more 'relaxed' and with a little encouragement from my now fiancee got my first Harley (Sportster 1200Low) last September. I'm now hankering for something bigger, more tourer like and with even less lean. I do sometimes miss free revving sportsbikes and ludicrous lean angles, but it's not something I think I want to go back to permanently. I love everything to do with my thumping low lean Harley.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

I started riding 22 years ago (at 16), and spent 21 years exclusively on naked sports bikes, then fully faired ones. I used to ride back home in England in full race leathers constantly, and prided myself on heavily scraped knee sliders.
Ok. Well, I don't think I want to take things quite that far again. I just want some more performance than what I have now, with a little extra comfort, too. And I don't want to spend $21,000 for an RT to get it.

I'm now hankering for something bigger, more tourer like and with even less lean.
To me, it seems that the disadvantages in weight and handling, especially for an every day commuting bike, outweigh the advantages. Dragging an 800 pound Road Glide everywhere in city traffic would get tiring, I think. It'd be fine if I was a weekend rider, and just rode the open road road for day trips and the like. For commuting every day, a big touring bike just seems ill suited for it.

And I can only afford one bike at a time, so I need a good compromise bike. The XT version of the Uly looks like that sort of compromise.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

I need something that's a bit more squidly in performance for me, and more comfortable to ride pillion for her.

But I really would have a hard time pulling the trigger on a UJM bike.
Dale,

I may have the solution for you. My other bike is a Triumph Tiger 1050. Its got the torque of the Sportster and the speed and handling of liter sport bike. Stick the aftermarket can on it andthe triple sounds amazing. Passenger comfort is very good. The only problem with it is you have to be at least 5-10 to ride it.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Tiger_5282.aspx

Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Silvia
Advanced

Dale to answer your request here are my thougts...

Power and handling pretty much speak for themselves. The Uly has 103HP and a tick under 90lb/ft of torque. Being the Uly only has 60 miles on it, I am restricted to 5,000rpms. The thing just rips. Not to mention when you get around 3,000rpms the intake just starts screaming, it is a really cool thing.

So on to the real reason I went with the Uly. I am 6'2" and I have been struggling to find a tolerable comfort zone on the Sporty. I added forward controls, which helped my legs but my neck and back were still hurting. So I added mini apes and a windshield. That solved most of the problems. Next was my rear end since the stock seat is terrible. So I went with a Sundowner. Then I was to high and got buffering...that was the last straw. I needed something bigger. Now coming from crotch rockets I wanted better handling and the lighter feel. The Uly fit the bill nicely. I am not cramped in a way. The seating is very neutral and upright. Plus the seat is really comfortable. I could ride all day long.

On to the passenger...the wife does like to ride along whenever she gets a chance. We were always a little cramped on the Sporty, plus she wanted a backrest. Uly to the rescue. The triple tail thing takes care of the backrest. We went for a 20 mile run a couple days ago when it was 45 out. Once we got back she was really surpise on just how much room she had. Plus she said the seat width really helped with comfort. Her legs were not cramped like on the Sporty...bottom line happy wife = I can keep the bike.

I could go on forever, but here are the main points...more power, much better handling, better fuel mileage, significantly more comfortable for me and the wife, heated grips, no need to really buy anything extra.

Definitely go take one for a spin, you will be pleasantly surprised. However, if you are not at least 6 foot I would stay away as the seat is pretty high. Or just get bigger boots.

Let me know if you need anything more specific.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

I'm not so worried about the height, since my interest is in the new XT model, not the standard Uly. It's lower at the seat. I can touch the ground with both feet on the X model, but my heels don't touch. On the new XT, I should be able to flat-foot it.

Dealer won't have one for another two weeks, though.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

My other bike is a Triumph Tiger 1050. Its got the torque of the Sportster and the speed and handling of liter sport bike. Stick the aftermarket can on it andthe triple sounds amazing. Passenger comfort is very good. The only problem with it is you have to be at least 5-10 to ride it.
The thing is, the new Uly XT already comes with full bags and heated grips. The tiger doesn't. It's also chain drive, which I'd prefer to stay away from. Also, the three-box pannier kit is $1300. And the top box doesn't have a backrest, which would seem to be a bit uncomfortable with the hinges digging into my chick's back.

It's almost what I'm looking for, but the chain drive is kind of a deal-breaker.

Quick Reply: Well its time...the Sporty must go