Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circlip (snap ring) pliers at Harbor Freight

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Kyle Rogers
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way I'd buy snap-on stuff is if I used it for work.

Sure, a lot of Harbor Freight stuff is bare minimum. However, a lot of stores are selling the exact same stuff, from the exact same factories, with different brand names for a lot more money. Advanced Auto Parts is a big one. Their tool section is full of Harbor Freight stuff for double Harbor Freight prices.

I have some Craftsman tool chests from Sears that are junky. I think Craftsman makes different lines of tool chests. The cheapest ones aren't even very nice. My Harbor Freight one has nicer drawers than the Craftsman one. I've had other people comment on how nice it is.

You just have to check the boxes before you leave, because Harbor Freight is notorious for the tool chests being pre smashed inside in the box.

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
If you want a tool box that will last make an investment in quality that the manufacturer stands behind.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Rogers
I was looking at motorcycle websites for circlip pliers for changing the footpegs.

I saw these on multiple bike parts websites for $13-$14

I swing by Harbor Freight and they have the exact same, identical tool for $3.75. Even has the same color grips.

I get home and the points are all way too big to fit the Harley circlips on the pegs. Fortunately the "hardened steel tips" were super simple to shave down with a small file. It took about ten minutes to shave the tips down by about 40%. Got the circlips off easy. Still have three unmodified plier heads left for bigger circlips.
First time I used these they busted. IN the trash and bought good ones

Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 AM
RickRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You beat me; I paid $5. filed down the tipstoo, and happily took out those tiny flimsy footpeg clips that I used to end up destroying - deforming - or going boing-oing-oing off improvised implemetation device to never-ever land. Saved us a trip to dealer. They work on footpeg clevis's too. If I have to change tips and they fail at clutch cable replacement, oh well, guess I 'll be looking for a $7 pair. I'll still be a buck under the $13 pair.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:20 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,067 Likes on 2,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
Those are junk in my line of work. The swappable heads are generally weak. So individual pliers with various styles is what I use. But I'm a tech for a living so my tools are an investment. Just wish my bill would get below $9000 sometime soon. As they say " takes money, to make money" in my line of work.
I'm with you. I use Snap On for circlips. It's a whole lot less frustrating.