Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a softail look like a rigid bobber and still be cool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014 | 07:29 AM
dharmon012
Advanced

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rain-back.html

this guy kind of went with a bobber style. im getting the same fender installed on my fatboy

Old 03-10-2014 | 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dharmon012
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rain-back.html

this guy kind of went with a bobber style. im getting the same fender installed on my fatboy
Put a springer on that bike and that has to be what you were describing. I have never toured on a Hardtail, but I have put a lot of miles on a Softail. Very comfortable everywhere except the twisties. (You run out of lean angle early). You will enjoy your new bike, and EFI is a definite improvement.

Old 03-10-2014 | 09:29 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer

This was my last hardtail. It had a carb but it would not have been much harder to install EFI. I like the sound you get with a carb but in Col, you really need EFI if you plan to go up and down the mountains.

Either have someone take the bobber you find and install EFI or go to a custom builder and have them build you one with EFI.

This particular rigid was built by American Classic Motors located in PA and they built it for around 17K.

Old 03-10-2014 | 09:59 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by IntenseMuscle
I have to get Harley to do all of the mods. I don't have the first clue so that is why I was going to go new because I do plan to keep it for the long haul.

Going with an older model makes sense and likely WOULD save a lot of money.

Thanks for the info.

Skip
NO NO NO ! getting a dealer to do the stuff you want , either you won't find a dealer that will do it , it will cost both arms and a leg , or it will be crap when they're done .

look for custom bike builders in your area if you can't do the work yourself , and do yourself a huge favor , spend a week looking at this message board to see what people have done , sometimes on their own with no special skills or experience . you'll be surprised

Old 03-10-2014 | 12:57 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
This was my last hardtail. It had a carb but it would not have been much harder to install EFI. I like the sound you get with a carb but in Col, you really need EFI if you plan to go up and down the mountains.

Either have someone take the bobber you find and install EFI or go to a custom builder and have them build you one with EFI.

This particular rigid was built by American Classic Motors located in PA and they built it for around 17K.

That's nice!! I stop by their shop and showroom all the time..always something nice going on in there!!

Old 03-10-2014 | 05:45 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

If you want the rear fender as close to the tire as a rigid, and want a suspension, you could start with a Rocker (fender is mounted to the swingarm). Comes with some extra rake too.

Old 03-10-2014 | 07:45 PM
IntenseMuscle
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Put a springer on that bike and that has to be what you were describing. I have never toured on a Hardtail, but I have put a lot of miles on a Softail. Very comfortable everywhere except the twisties. (You run out of lean angle early). You will enjoy your new bike, and EFI is a definite improvement.
This is very close, indeed. I am thinking about almost copying this bike completely but with forward controls instead of platforms.

Attached Thumbnails Can a softail look like a rigid bobber and still be cool?-tumblr_mq7jxen5dv1r28f5bo1_1280.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014 | 07:47 PM
IntenseMuscle
|
Advanced

This is all great information. I appreciate the feedback a lot.

It is hard to find a custom builder that has experience a fuel injected engine. At least I am struggling around here.

Skip

Old 03-10-2014 | 08:21 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Check out Main Drive Cycles. Love the Back Street Nightrain.

Old 03-10-2014 | 09:38 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

Id build an evo with a cv carb. Ive run mine at all dif altitudes
And it ran perfect. Im not a fan of efi, ESP in a cool bob job.

Quick Reply: Can a softail look like a rigid bobber and still be cool?