Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014 | 11:18 AM
sober1
Cruiser
Default Redbeard!

Apologies for being late to the party! Just found your build thread and my dogs are pissed at me right now as they have their eyes and legs crossed waiting for me to finish reading your thread before we go on one of our daily walks!
Dude, you have serious MAD photo and documenting skills first off. These are the kinda of threads I can learn from. Thank you for taking the time to document your build.
A few questions because my eyes were glazing over checking out all the eye candy,
I saw you did cams but did you do headwork? EFI or Carb? Any mods here? Did you upgrade clutch assembly, and if so what brand did you go with? Did you stay with stock gearing? Did you upgrade stopping power?

Beautiful Scooter Dude!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build-img_20140513_160353870_hdr.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014 | 10:35 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by sober1
Apologies for being late to the party! Just found your build thread and my dogs are pissed at me right now as they have their eyes and legs crossed waiting for me to finish reading your thread before we go on one of our daily walks!
Dude, you have serious MAD photo and documenting skills first off. These are the kinda of threads I can learn from. Thank you for taking the time to document your build.
A few questions because my eyes were glazing over checking out all the eye candy,
I saw you did cams but did you do headwork? EFI or Carb? Any mods here? Did you upgrade clutch assembly, and if so what brand did you go with? Did you stay with stock gearing? Did you upgrade stopping power?

Beautiful Scooter Dude!
Hey Sober1!

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the compliments.

I did put in new cams. Went with the Andrews 21N conversion cams, which allowed me to upgrade the cam support plate and oil pump, as well as the hydraulic tensioners and new style cam chains. Didn't do any headwork or any other engine work.

The bike is also efi , so I still need to get it tuned, but it does run better already.

The main drive behind all the cam work was to get the old spring tensioners out of there.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 08-30-2014 | 10:45 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Hey Sober1!

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the compliments.

I did put in new cams. Went with the Andrews 21N conversion cams, which allowed me to upgrade the cam support plate and oil pump, as well as the hydraulic tensioners and new style cam chains. Didn't do any headwork or any other engine work.

The bike is also efi , so I still need to get it tuned, but it does run better already.

The main drive behind all the cam work was to get the old spring tensioners out of there.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Redbeard, could you post up a video of your idle? I'm thinking of following your lead with the cams and tensioners.

Where did you buy the kit from?

And I found Fuel Moto to be the cheapest place for a pciii, they provide map with purchase and free updates as you continue to mod.

Old 08-30-2014 | 11:00 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Hey Joe! Hope all is well.

I can post you up a video in a couple days. I'm on a road trip with the Road Glide to Jackson, Yellowstone, Red Lodge, etc this weekend.

As for a kit on the cam parts, I put together a parts list that I can email you when I get home too. It's an excel spreadsheet. You can then order from Kutter and save some money that way.

The 21N does give a little lope to the idle and they sound really nice. The torque is a nice gain too. Once I have it tuned with the SEPST it will be even better.

Having had a 98" build with the Fuel Moto level B heads on my last Springer, I'm completely content with a stock 88" with the 21N.

Old 08-30-2014 | 11:02 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Oh, and it starts REALLY REALLY easy with the 21N.

Old 08-30-2014 | 11:30 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Awesome Redbeard!! That is very kind of you.

Have a great trip...and post up some pics!

Old 09-04-2014 | 08:43 PM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Nevermind this posting....good thing my wife talked me out of being stupid and selling this bike!

Last edited by Redbeard719; 09-06-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2014 | 10:01 PM
SKT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Redbeard719

Wow, where is this coming from!?!

Don't know how you parted with the CVO Springer, and now you're trying to sell this one.

Certainly a sharp bike and priced to move. Someone will get a great bike!

Old 09-04-2014 | 10:14 PM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SKT

Wow, where is this coming from!?!

Don't know how you parted with the CVO Springer, and now you're trying to sell this one.

Certainly a sharp bike and priced to move. Someone will get a great bike!

I'm not really sure to be honest. Had a long ride this weekend on my Road Glide and came to realize that having two bikes is great, but not something I need. Hell, none of us NEED to have one bike!

We'll see what happens. If I get it sold, great, if I don't, that's ok too. I won't let it go for nothing though and lose my shirt!

Parting with the 09 CVO was easier than I thought it would be. I didn't have it very long and it wasn't the style I was really wanting, I guess.

Old 09-04-2014 | 10:20 PM
ten90seven
Intermediate

Excellent looking....updates?

Quick Reply: 2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build