Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013 | 11:20 PM
Hd-bagger
Advanced

I've got the dead creek kit also. I love the looks of the 2 inch but I'm probably gonna put the 1.5 inch on for a better ride. The great thing is the kit comes with both and it's SUPER easy to install or change.

Old 07-02-2013 | 12:07 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

There are cons? LOL.

http://www.softailloweringkit.com/

LOve my kit...didn't cost me an arm and a leg either, like some other options...

Last edited by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER; 07-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2013 | 04:03 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

My train has the lowering bolts on it (don't know which company, it came on the bike). It's lowered about 2" and I looooooove the look of it. However, I feel every single bump on the road. And it practically ruined my V&H Sideshots...had to go with big radius 2-2 cause they finish higher on the frame. Honestly going to adjust it soon to 1.25-1.5" for comfort.

It really comes down to what you want. The bolt kits are a great, easy way to lower the ride at low cost. If you want the best of everything, the shotgun or progressive air-ride is your best bet.
$100 for ease of install and good looks
$1500 for good looks and great ride

Attached Thumbnails Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2027_2.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013 | 04:25 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

The ride is a little stiffer but I ride two up all the time and never bottom out. The bike turns in better now and I love the ride.

2" drop for me. Deadcreek Cycles softail lowering kit.

Old 07-03-2013 | 07:57 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

SoCal, where did you get your '58 emblems?? Looked on ebay and was surprised at the cost. Still want them for my bike.

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
And a pic of my Slim lowered 1.15 inches. The sweet spot for me in terms of ride and looks with lowering bolts:

Old 07-03-2013 | 10:22 AM
antichrome90
Cruiser

Are the split collars on that kit steel/aluminum? I just can't see it too well with their images. And how long have you been running that kit?

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
There are cons? LOL.

http://www.softailloweringkit.com/

LOve my kit...didn't cost me an arm and a leg either, like some other options...

Old 07-03-2013 | 10:28 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

Originally Posted by antichrome90
Are the split collars on that kit steel/aluminum? I just can't see it too well with their images. And how long have you been running that kit?
I believe they are steel from what I could tell when I installed them. You might contact the company for a definitive answer. FYI...Softaillowringkit is the manufacturer of the kit that Dead Creek Cycles also sells.

I've been running them since November of 2012.

Old 07-03-2013 | 11:38 AM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by antichrome90
The collars are steel and are very stout. The new barrel nut and cup washers that come in the kit are steel as well.

Old 07-03-2013 | 11:41 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rpmpit
SoCal, where did you get your '58 emblems?? Looked on ebay and was surprised at the cost. Still want them for my bike.
Hey rpm. Ya, the 58 Panhead emblems are pretty rare and you have to just keep your eye open if you want those specific ones. Wish it was easier.

I got mine for $115 on Ebay. The guy asking $399 for them on Ebay is nuts.

The only suggestion I have is keep your eye on Ebay and snag anything in the $150 range, if that fits your budget. I see a pair went for $165 recently.

Maybe even use one of the search engines that will search all of craigslist. (Not just the one in your area).

Old 07-03-2013 | 12:34 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

Thanks! I dont know what lowering kit is on the bike currently, hence I have no clue how to adjust it. Been looking at replacement options.

Originally Posted by Dead Creek Cycles
The collars are steel and are very stout. The new barrel nut and cup washers that come in the kit are steel as well.

Quick Reply: Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons