Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running lower wind deflectors? (fangs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM
obidio
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
UPDATE. Been riding a few weeks now with the HD lowers and man they do make a difference. If you're looking to reduce all that wind buffeting around your chest and head they work. Also reduced the wind when kicking the feet out on hiway pegs. I don't notice any uncomfortable heat increase either and we're in the 90's around here right now. The air still flows around the lowers and onto the engine plus I ride w/ a Capt. Itch heat shield anyway so no prob. If you're looking for a solution it worked for me. Don't mind the looks either but that's a personal thing.
Sounds ike a winner. I just ordered Capt Itch heat guard and will order soft lower from Leader. Thanks for the update!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM
ckal704
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone seen them for Springer forks? Would probably look somewhat ridiculous, but dang! I have to comb mustache hairs out of my nose after a long ride! Wouldn't need 'em for around town and even short day trips, but when I go more than a couple hundred miles I am a mess!

Edit: Like a dope, I didn't search first. Found a good thread with sources for lower windscreens for springers. My bad.

Last edited by ckal704; 09-08-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 AM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my 1995 FLHT, they make life a lot easier on the highway.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM
jimbo285
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldwarrior
I have them on my 1995 FLHT, they make life a lot easier on the highway.

I didn't realize you guys with the batwings needed them. I thought it was just a heritage / roadking windshield thing.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM
leeanders
Advanced
Default Fangs are now on......ugly, but they work well!

Originally Posted by jimbo285
I didn't realize you guys with the batwings needed them. I thought it was just a heritage / roadking windshield thing.
Installed the lowers a few days ago and test rode them. They are a pair of ugly son of a guns - but they work extremely well!

Attached Thumbnails Who is running lower wind deflectors? (fangs)-fatboy-004.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo285
Yeppers makes a big difference on the highway for me.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a set of the fangs for wife's 2012 Heritage. New HD style which is same style as I have on my King. The issue is that the clearance seems to prevent a simple clean install. They are too tight against the turn signal and when I do persuade them in they seem to hit the crash bar on a full lock turn. I had them on but had to install bottom bolt first then kind of bend them into the top bolt.

Anyone else have this issue or am I missing something? I had no issues with the touring version which seems to fit perfectly.

thanks for any help.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KW-HD Rider
Bought a set of the fangs for wife's 2012 Heritage. New HD style which is same style as I have on my King. The issue is that the clearance seems to prevent a simple clean install. They are too tight against the turn signal and when I do persuade them in they seem to hit the crash bar on a full lock turn. I had them on but had to install bottom bolt first then kind of bend them into the top bolt.

Anyone else have this issue or am I missing something? I had no issues with the touring version which seems to fit perfectly.

thanks for any help.
Did not have this issue at all. I will say that when installed they are pretty close to the turn signal housings, but not so it's a problem. Not trying to be smart here, but are you sure they are on the right side? The smooth, shiny side should be facing the rider. You've maybe got them reversed.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Yes, not reversed. These are the new ones with the curve and they are marked and easy to tell which side is which because of the curve. I felt foolish too as this is the simpliest thing to install and it just didn't seem right. Might give it another try tomorrow but they were definitely too tight against the signals and the crash bar. Weird.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,832 Likes on 8,587 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by adobodawg
I installed the wind deflectors on my Heritage. They made a big difference in the amount of buffeting. Plus I think they look sharp.

Especially at the bottom......