Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CP Piston snap ring install

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CP Piston snap ring install

Installing the fuel moto 98 kit and got to the point where the wrist pin snap ring needed to be installed this clip is not a wimpy oem one but a very stout one from CP. after watching the guy in the supplied video install them in what seemed to be seconds with a small screwdriver I could not master the technique so I defaulted to the all-knowing hdforums search function. I found a description of a tool used to install the snap rings consisting of a ¾ copper pipe coupling, and a 5/8 deep socket , pure genius.

The MoCo wants over 100.00 for a tool that needs to be modified to do the same job if you can find one. Who ever thought of this little tool is an effing genius after spending a couple hours chasing a wrist pin snap ring around the garage it took me all of 5 mins to install the remaining ones using it.
Just push the snap ring (with the gap pointing out) into the coupling with some pliers. Situate the gap into the groove in the piston pin boss 180*from the small dished out area , slide the socket into the coupling firmly and press the gap into the groove. finish off by gently pushing the remaining part of the snap ring into the groove from the dished out area.

just thought i'd share this, as i'm sure others will be doing it this winter.

Attached Thumbnails CP Piston snap ring install-snap1.jpg   CP Piston snap ring install-snap2.jpg   CP Piston snap ring install-snap3.jpg  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THAT was the biggest pain in the *** for my FM 107" install..i forgot all about how bad those were. I was sitting there thinking to myself "don't break the ring! don't break the ring"..then i kept slipping and stabbing myself in the thumb with a screwdriver and said "fudge it!", smacked the begeezus out of the rings and they went right in to place nice and snug. Didn't do the search like you did, just got PO'd at the things and went with the brute force method.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always just used a little screwdriver...looks like a cool home grown tool though

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I have always just used a little screwdriver...looks like a cool home grown tool though
you're a better man than I and yes it is pretty slick

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
THAT was the biggest pain in the *** for my FM 107" install..i forgot all about how bad those were. I was sitting there thinking to myself "don't break the ring! don't break the ring"..then i kept slipping and stabbing myself in the thumb with a screwdriver and said "fudge it!", smacked the begeezus out of the rings and they went right in to place nice and snug. Didn't do the search like you did, just got PO'd at the things and went with the brute force method.

LOL couldn't bring myself to hitting the pretty little piston with anything

Attached Thumbnails CP Piston snap ring install-snap4.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I placed one in each piston using a round torx screw driver in the piston pin slot... before installing the rings while I could lay the piston on its side, on a towel. Then install the piston on the rod, insert the piston pin..then its was a little harder inserting the opposite hand clips.

I've built small block and big block chevy's that had a snap ring lock...never had one fail or fall out. These CP clips are somewhat a bitch to install and way over designed.

Thanks for the tool tip.....your a month late though, lol.