Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:21 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

I think it could/would look nice. As others have said, with the right prep and a good powder coat, the finish will last.

Old 03-21-2012 | 03:29 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

hell yeah it would look good all my cover are gloss black...had em powdered.

Old 03-22-2012 | 12:01 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jaburg1
On your bike, I'd leave exactly the way it is. The colors are balanced well. Take a look at the HD chrome coil cover and voltage regulator cover for their style. If you like them, get them powder coated black. I like the styling and improves on the stock cover on the coil.
Thanks for the compliment. I have been thinking of leaving the engine covers alone too and it seems that a lot of others (including my wife... $$$) agree. I'll check out the voltage regulator cover. As for the coil, that is getting relocated to the area where the horn is as soon as I get home. I've got a list of things to do and it is getting longer by the day

Old 03-22-2012 | 12:25 AM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain

Just because I like to cause problems, I'll through another idea at you. Have you thought about getting a custom derby? Check out the thread here called derby ****. There's a guy called story that turns out some pretty amazing things.

Old 03-22-2012 | 09:34 AM
metaphysician
Cruiser

Another example, for reference.

Old 03-22-2012 | 10:05 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Jaburg1, If you can hold out a bit, I have the stock covers from my Crossbones in the garage. If you want to pay shipping, I will get the wife to send them to you so you can get them coated, then just send me back your stockers once you swap them out. That way there is no down time getting yours coated

Old 03-22-2012 | 10:26 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

I found this pic too. I can't see what metaphysician posted (damn red Xs!!) but it has the same derby (or very similar) cover as you do and it does look slick!

Old 03-22-2012 | 03:01 PM
Jaburg1
|
Road Master

brettnbama,

Thank you very much for your generous offer! If I wasn't planning on keeping the stock covers, I'd jump on your offer in a heartbeat. My plan is to keep my stock parts and order the gloss black covers. Even though I may never switch back to the stock look, I'll have that option just in case.

Old 03-22-2012 | 03:03 PM
Jaburg1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
I found this pic too. I can't see what metaphysician posted (damn red Xs!!) but it has the same derby (or very similar) cover as you do and it does look slick!

Geez CaptainMorgan! Where did you find this??? That photo is an exact match to my derby cover, shift levers, and shift linkage. That tells me more than anything what the potential look will be. Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please-hd-crossbones.jpg  

Last edited by Jaburg1; 03-22-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2012 | 10:44 AM
Black Gator
Tourer
Default Black Primary

Went with Wrinkle Black on my FatBoy

Quick Reply: Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please