Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly Beach Bars Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM
yamensbs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man on the Bars.

Now I feel bad cuz I got the Bikini ones
"not installed yet though"

Everybody seem to be installing the regular 38.5"

I fear I wont like the bikini ones anymore or they would feel too tight.

Last edited by yamensbs; 12-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SprungDave
I love the beach bars on the Heritage! I have a set of those same bars in my garage (got them cheap on eBay). I am installing them on my '01 HS. I am just waiting for my new brake hose, throttle and Idle cables to arrive. I'll post when done.
I love them and I'm so glad I made that my first bigger mod. Definitely post up some pics when you get them installed!

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Wow they really really look great. I have bookmarked this thread. I appreciate that you chimed on on my thread about this...
Peg, thanks and your welcome. I couldn't be happier with the choice of the 1 1/4" Burlys. I'm only 5' 10" with about a 34" sleeve length, and the fit is perfect for me. Admittedly, the first couple of slow turns at intersection etc took getting used to because it is so different than what I've ever been used to, however, it didn't take much to get confident and comfortable with them. Some will say, oh they make tight turning difficult because they come back to the leg when in full lock, but you are only going to be in that situation (I hope) in a parking type situation, so you are basically stopped, but it isn't that bad and you just move your leg (lol) IMO it definitely isn't any type of safety issue or anything I'd be concerned with. Again, it just goes back to something new that takes becoming familiar with.

I previously rode a friends bike who had the HD version installed and they just didn't provide enough pullback and width for me. But I was sold on the style because of my neck and arm issues, so it was just a matter of finding the brand, which IMO is a no brainer when it comes to beach bars. So I was fortunate to at least be able to get a short test ride in. (My buddy said he was worried at first because I was a little wobbly when I pulled out of his drive! LOL It didn't help that he has an immaculate Classic and I was more nervous about him, knowing that he doesn't allow anyone to ride his bike. LOL)

Originally Posted by tripwire759
Looks good man!
Thanks, trip!

Originally Posted by yamensbs
Congrats man on the Bars.

Now I feel bad cuz I got the Bikini ones
"not installed yet though"

Everybody seem to be installing the regular 38.5"

I fear I wont like the bikini ones anymore or they would feel too tight.
Thanks yamensbs! If you aren't sure you'll like them, see if the vendor will swap them out for you before you install them. At first I was a little concerned before I ordered mine because I had read some of the negative posts that people said they're to wide etc, etc, etc, (most probably had never been on a bike with them lol), but after getting to sample the HD version, I knew those weren't what I wanted, I wanted wider. For me they are perfect and I wouldn't have anything else. In your case, you may find you like the bikini bars. And in the end that's all that matters, "what you like."

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 12-27-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 AM
yamensbs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. But Sadly I live too far away and just need to shop blindly and install it here at the local dealership. Dont have the luxury of swiping otherwise it will cost a fortune shipping it back and forth. I just have to rely on friends travelling to the US to get me these goodies.

I read the same reviews about them being too wide and didn't want to risk things. So I went for the bikini ones..

I guess I have to install them and see what it feels like. Thanks man and enjoy the ride..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

CRAP DUDE!! Just when I thought I had my mind made up 100% sure I was getting some gangster apes. You now have me all jumbled up again ! LOL Your bike looks very sweet, comfy too. That is my issue, old injuries and I am looking for that "comfort factor" as well as looks. Well, now what am I going to do? They look awfully comfortable!!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by yamensbs
Agreed. But Sadly I live too far away and just need to shop blindly and install it here at the local dealership. Dont have the luxury of swiping otherwise it will cost a fortune shipping it back and forth. I just have to rely on friends travelling to the US to get me these goodies.

I read the same reviews about them being too wide and didn't want to risk things. So I went for the bikini ones..

I guess I have to install them and see what it feels like. Thanks man and enjoy the ride..
Aaah, sorry I didn't notice the local before. A place I'd love to come visit and check out. I've had a few buddies working over there. If there's anything I can ever help get from here drop me a PM. I'm sure you'll like the setup once you get yours installed.

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
CRAP DUDE!! Just when I thought I had my mind made up 100% sure I was getting some gangster apes. You now have me all jumbled up again ! LOL Your bike looks very sweet, comfy too. That is my issue, old injuries and I am looking for that "comfort factor" as well as looks. Well, now what am I going to do? They look awfully comfortable!!
Thanks and sorry tbone for getting you all jumbled up! LOL I hate that felling and right now that's how I am on deciding what will be my next upgrade. It was a hard decision for me too. I've always thought the Lux looked sweet with apes and the indy I deal with was pretty convincing that I could enjoy some Carlini (sp?) apes, but I had a difficult enough time dealing with the discomfort from the stockers so I had to go with beach bars. I seen a heritage with monster beach bars when I was a youngster, so ever since I've liked the style. For me, this a very comfortable ride. I got in a 3 hour ride this afternoon and felt great afterwards! My arms never went numb and no shoulder and neck pain.

Good luck with your decision and again, sorry for throwing a wrench in the spokes! Whichever way you go your bike will look great!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
OS_DELUXE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, those Burly beach bars are sweet. Good choice on leaving the control buttons black for contrast.
+1 on the front engine guards and foot rests... Safety, comfort and looks. The guard has saved me $$ on more than one occasion.

Name:  HPIM1619.jpg
Views: 5290
Size:  271.4 KB

Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OS_DELUXE
Yeah, those Burly beach bars are sweet. Good choice on leaving the control buttons black for contrast.
+1 on the front engine guards and foot rests... Safety, comfort and looks. The guard has saved me $$ on more than one occasion.
OS, thanks!! Yeah man, I've got to get hot getting the guards on. I've still got to work out in my head how I'm going to set up the bike, but the guards are a must regardless so they'll go on next. I'm eyeballing those floorboards, those are sweet! Are you running the Nostalgic front guard?

Just installed some different pipes tonight (working up to the Cholos ) and I am beating my head over the bags. I like them, especially this time of year for throwing extra cold weather gear in and locking things up, but I have always liked the bagless look! Oh well, it's easy enough to throw them back on.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 12-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice man, Lookin good.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
OS_DELUXE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NC D'LUXE
OS, thanks!! Yeah man, I've got to get hot getting the guards on. I've still got to work out in my head how I'm going to set up the bike, but the guards are a must regardless so they'll go on next. I'm eyeballing those floorboards, those are sweet! Are you running the Nostalgic front guard?
No, I have the standard one part #49004-00A. I'm also running the rear Springer guards.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

nice clean install..

Quick Reply: Burly Beach Bars Installed!