Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UltraCool Oil cooler installed...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default UltraCool Oil cooler installed...PICS

I spent yesterday installing an UltraCool oil cooler that comes with a water resistant fan on my bike. This is a very nice unit and once the bike hits 160 degrees the oil will flow through the cooler. The fan turns on at 210 degrees and goes off again once the oil goes back down to 190 degrees. This system takes oil cooling oen step further than any other cooler on the market. Your typical standard oil cooler has a thermostatic switch that opens the cooler at 160 degrees. That is it. There are no other cooler that have a fan built in to help keep the oil cooler thus most coolers cool the oil about 10 degrees. The UltraCool cools the oil 40-60 degrees due to its well thought out design.

The unit is perfect in every way, although I chose to wire it a bit differently than was shown in the instructions. In the instructions they have you run all the power through the provided led (comes on when the fan comes on). I chose to not run the LED and wire it direct to my accessory wire (orange and white on right side of the tank).

The install itself was simple although it took a few hours to get everything done perfectly. I found a few small issues with the instructions as far as the order to install everything as well. Please take note.

The oil line clamps cannot(or are extremely difficult to) be tightened with the cooler in place so I measured and ran the oil lines and then took the cooler off to put the clamps to the oil filter adapter bracket. Once the lines were tightened properly I put the cooler back in place and ran the oil lines to the cooler itself and installed the provided clamps. The wiring was the last thing I did. They provide a nice PVC tubing to run the wires through for looks and protection also which is very nice.

Once the entire unit is installed, it fits perfectly. I am yet to ride the bike for long enough to test out the fan and such and see what temp it comes on at, but as soon as all the rain we have been having is gone I will and will report back. It is supposed to come on at 210 degrees, and once the oil temp drop to 190 degrees the fan turns off.

The nicest thing about this system is the integrated fan. A regular oil cooler only allows oil through the cooler above 160 degrees to cool the oil. The Ultracool does the same but takes this a step further. When the oil reaches 210 degrees, which it will, the fan will kick on and force more air on to the oil cooler cooling the oil flowing through the cooler much quicker. Once back down to 190 the fan will turn off. As stated above the fan is water resistant so no need to worry about rain or washing the bike.

The softail version ahs just become available and I believe this is the first one that has been installed on a customers bike. I can’t wait to get out on the open road in the heat. As a side note I will be going to Laughlin next month and that will be the true test of how well this cooler works. Temps regularly rise above 100 during mid day and I plan to be riding all day.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Dissociative
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got the standard one on the NT...do they really get that hot?

Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM
anubisss
Banned

I did not get a chance to get out today as it was pouring rain this morning and is just drying up. I am going to have to hold off for a day or two to take it on it's maiden voyage.

As far as how hot your engine gets, it really depends on a lot of varying factors. I have never run an oil cooler or been concerned about excess engine heat but am anxious to see how this affects the heat off the engine. I have been waiting for this product to become availalbe for over a year now.

I'll report back after I get some miles on and let you all know how it went.

Here are some pics of the install.
Remove the regulator

Bolt on the inner oil filter adapter

Bolt on the outer oil filter adapter

Measure and test fit oil lines

Install cooler/fan unit

Hook up power and install filter. Clamps on all oil lines and good to go.

Drew

Last edited by anubisss; 03-27-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,588 Likes on 2,718 Posts

Looks great - but it looks like it will be a b*tch gettling that filter off, no?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
mori55
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a place to hook up a temperature gauge ?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Looks great - but it looks like it will be a b*tch gettling that filter off, no?
changing the filters on these twincams is messy enough as it is,, this looks like it complicates a filter change 10 fold

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure I like that hose in relation to the filter.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dissociative
i got the standard one on the nt...do they really get that hot?
nope.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I like it. I have to ride in traffic a lot so I'm planning to get one.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
anubisss
Banned

The picture is a little misleading as it was taken from above. You can get the oil filter in. There is not a lot of extra space for it, but it fits fine and getting a strap wrench over it to loosen it will not be an issue. I also do more than my fair share of traffic riding although I can split lanes I still think this is a worthwhile investment. I am taking the maiden voyage today as I got rained out yesterday so I will report back on how worked this afternoon.

Drew

Quick Reply: UltraCool Oil cooler installed...PICS