Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome home npete13....thank you very much for your service.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by npete13
Hey ya'll, just purchased my 2012 fatboy lo. Wont have it in my garage for another few weeks. Been in love with these bikes since my dad had one when I was a kid. My question is, I'm a little taller- 6'2", I know the lo isn't exactly for taller guys but my old man was able to talk the dealer into hookin me up with the tall boy seat for free with the purchase. My question is about handlebars. I am uncomfortable crunched in and actually enjoy a decent reach for the handlebars. From what I can tell my best bet would be 0" rise drags or some apes. I have never been on a ride longer than 2 hours as this is my first personal bike. Would it be more comfortable being able to lounge back with my arms stretched out with some apes or leanin' forward a bit with some 0 rise drags?

@EOD, Semper Fi brother, just got back in country a few weeks ago from Helmand Province
It depends on how you are comfortable. If you like you arms up and relaxed, you could go with some 16-18" apes. If you like to reach a bit you could go for some T-Bars or even some mini apes that are leaned forward (which looks pretty bad *** to me) along with some brackets to extend the floorboards forward (which I plan on trying out), some extended forward controls or highway pegs. There are so many options!

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-74171d1255978155-16-ape-hangers-how-tall-are-you-picture-002.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM
sessionstu
2nd Gear
Default Man, time flies...

The last time I posted on this thread it was only 106 pages long. Now look. Damn. Anyways, here's what she looks like now. Still a work in progress.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Caseyx
Tourer

Welcome brother! I'm 6'2" also and love my 16" apes from BR Customs, if you have cash and patience, he can make a set customized to your exact specs. Width, pullback, etc.. He has videos online showing you how to figure out what you want and is a really cool dude who will take the time to talk to you on the phone for as long as it takes. I spent two weeks with broom sticks and string while sitting on my bike till I was sure where I wanted the grips. Couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the club, these guys here are the best.

Hey ya'll, just purchased my 2012 fatboy lo. Wont have it in my garage for another few weeks. Been in love with these bikes since my dad had one when I was a kid. My question is, I'm a little taller- 6'2", I know the lo isn't exactly for taller guys but my old man was able to talk the dealer into hookin me up with the tall boy seat for free with the purchase. My question is about handlebars. I am uncomfortable crunched in and actually enjoy a decent reach for the handlebars. From what I can tell my best bet would be 0" rise drags or some apes. I have never been on a ride longer than 2 hours as this is my first personal bike. Would it be more comfortable being able to lounge back with my arms stretched out with some apes or leanin' forward a bit with some 0 rise drags?

@EOD, Semper Fi brother, just got back in country a few weeks ago from Helmand Province

Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
I am really only considering doing the upper rocker boxes along with the primary, clutch and cam covers. I seriously like the look of only the upper rocker boxes blacked out; especially in Vivid Black! I really like how they look on this guy's bike
I'm on the same boat with the rocker covers. If I have time this week when I get home I may pull them off and send them and my headlight visor and tail light trim to the PC'er. I also have to make a mount for my swing arm bag, install my new speedometer and a few other little things. I have been away from home since Dec 26th and will only be state side for a week the back to the work again for a month or two.

Last edited by Misbehaven; 02-15-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Youngneg
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brutus01
Looking good bro. My bars should be here in about a week or so but I am having issues with the brake lines for ABS. Do you have ABS and if so what brake lines did you use? Magnum told BR that they didn't make them for the softails with ABS but I am not sure thats right because I think someone said Dr. V-twin could get them.
Hey sorry Brutus...been pretty busy.......Yes i have ABS...... and gettin the top front brake line was a PITA... PM me if ya still need help on gettin them..

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
npete13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Caseyx
Welcome brother! I'm 6'2" also and love my 16" apes from BR Customs, if you have cash and patience, he can make a set customized to your exact specs. Width, pullback, etc.. He has videos online showing you how to figure out what you want and is a really cool dude who will take the time to talk to you on the phone for as long as it takes. I spent two weeks with broom sticks and string while sitting on my bike till I was sure where I wanted the grips. Couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the club, these guys here are the best.

Got some pics?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
SmokeyTN
Advanced

Welcome, npete! You're gonna love this bike. I haven't changed the bars on mine, but it's been in the long list of things I wanted to do after I got through stage 1. My only and best advice is that you ride around 1000 miles (or less if it takes less time) before making big changes to fitment like handlebars. In this amount of time you are going to get a really good idea about what you do and don't like about the current handlebars and how you'd fix them yourself if you could. Then you go looking for what fits your needs based on that.

If you're half as nuts as the rest of us about your bike...it'll take you no time at all to log enough miles to know what you want to change.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
jbmolly
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Dave, you are really paving the way for all the FB Lo owners out there. Your scoot looks absolutley awesome. I was so close to picking on of them up when I got my CrossBones....
I agree that thing is bad ***!!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM
npete13
6th Gear

Thanks for all the welcomes and hospitality ya'll. I realize I will definitely need to do some good amount of ridin on my new bike before I make any decisions. I would be willing to bet just off of my short test ride that I am going to need to either extend the footboard or switch to extended forward controls. I do like the look of the footboards but have always enjoyed the controls with the pegs on my Dad's springer. Any basic quote's ya'll can give me for getting the footboards extended 3"? Or to have extended forward controls purchased and installed? I know this bike is not always considered the best for taller guys but I fell in love with it and couldn't settle for anything else.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners