Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Exhaust HDI 07

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 AM
rastas
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Active Exhaust HDI 07

hello HDF users,
Just wondering about the butterfly actuator they added into the exhaust system for international 07 models.On the HD Tech Forum it says
*actuator closes v/v in exhaust system during higher loads
*optimises power while meeting noise regs
*composite cable mount and cable are sold as kit

IMPORTANT SERVICE NOTE

*never move actuator by hand or by tool
*actuator cannot be dropped or it will need replacement
*active exhaust systems are to be "replace only"service items,no repairs
Has anyone outside USA seen or now more about this crap.I would be thinking if you change to bigger cams with valve overlap you will encounter problems with exhaust backpressure building up and entering combustion chamber and maybe even enter intake.International models had to deal with the poxy active intake in 06,wich was easy enough to remove with high flow a/c and race download or sert,hoping it wont be a total PITA.Waiting for softail custom in australia,no ETA as yet.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:53 AM
GPLRJBRAZIL
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Active Exhaust HDI 07

I have a '06 Night Train assembled in the Brazilian HD factory and never saw this stuff. I already replaced the exhausts for a V&H, changed A/C for the Screaming Eagle Stage I and have a Fuelpak running. Things are just fine here...

Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 145 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: GPLRJBRAZIL

I have a '06 Night Train assembled in the Brazilian HD factory and never saw this stuff. I already replaced the exhausts for a V&H, changed A/C for the Screaming Eagle Stage I and have a Fuelpak running. Things are just fine here...

This thing is a new feature for the 2007 models.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day mate,
This could be a huge win for us! I could be wrong but here's what I HOPE will happen. Buy some loud slip-ons, buy "HD cable kit" for the active exhaust valve, and be able to manually open and shut the "flap / butterfly" whenever you need to silence the bike. I have been putting a butterfly in mufflers for years, (old single barrel ford carby fits ok), now I see "peacemaker exhausts" have got the same idea, check their web site. This active exhaust valve LOOKS like it does the same thing in reverse, BUT with the cable adaptor we may be able to open and shut it at will !! Guess we will know in 3 weeks as the first bike should arrive early September. Maybe we might even get these new "louder stock mufflers" that the U.S. are getting, and the active valve is just to satisfy the Australian ADR / EPA, so when ya disconnect it, the sound might be OK. In any case V&H look like they are doing straight shot slip-ons for softties, they are too loud, but with the active flap all could be good.
Also , I read in this forum that disconnecting the air cleaner "noise flap" could cause a "fault" signal on the computer, so leave it alone and just bodgie up the link from the solinoid to the flap and jam it open, rather than pull the wiring out. (assuming you are not changing to high flow.).

Graham.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
rastas
Tourer

hey squeech how u goin.With the active intake once u remove/replace a/c or stage 1 all u have to do is get a race download because this clears fault code because race downloads r 4 high flow a/c which do not have active intake or need sensor.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 AM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

True, true, But I am so excited by the 96 ci engine and 6 speed I'm thinking of trading the dyna on a softail standard and , aside from the mufflers, actually leaving the air box stock...... must be getting old...... not really, it's just that with all the crap about downloads, slow starting PC111's and overpriced TFI units, AND the extra power of the bigger engine, I'm thinking I might leave it alone.

Looking forward to that new dyna custom though..?? Can't wait to see what they have done for, (To... ??? ) us Ozzie riders.

cya
Graham.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 145 Likes on 86 Posts

ya know that the air cleaner backplate of the new 07 models for international market will come also with an "active intake" equipment just like the exhaust?

it will be a solenoid installed on the back of the backplate that will control either the opening or closure.

As for the sound of the mufflers...it's really a misterious thing..I'm curious to hear how it will be...but as HD states, this new butterfly system in the exhaust will increase the power of the bike...don't know how much of that is true.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
rastas
Tourer

As soon as i can remove the stock headers the better.The exhaust is not a place for moving parts IMO.With the heat
in the pipes it would only be a matter of time b4 something goes wrong.Good pipes mathched with good baffles will do me anytime

Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
snowyhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds similiar to yamaha's exup valve setup