Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of each, like them both very much. RK has a little smoother ride solo. My wife says the RK is much smoother for her 2 up.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by SAG
I'm an easy 240 lbs my beautiful wife 140 and we ride 2 up all the time. Bike never bottoms out. She is plenty comfortable on the back.

I am very comfortable with just the throttle lock. Never ever had cruise control.
+ 1, I'm 195 & my wife is 125. Adjusted the shocks 3 turns firmer, use a 1/4
turn throttle lock for cruise (just for a small rest), Mustang seats & tour pack. No complaints from us.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 879 Posts

double post

Last edited by golfblues; 10-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a 300 mile day on my standard this summer, and when I got off, I felt like I could go another 300.
Guess it all depends on how the bike is set up.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
ski917
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 07 fatboy and made the trip from GA to FL and it was sore on the stock pos seat, but after putting a mustang seat on it it rides really good. Just don't have all of the bags yet.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
gtnot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the first things I did to my 07 Fat Boy was to add an electronic cruise control. Expensive but worth every penny.

www.cruisemount.com

I'm now in the process of installing touring hard bags and a Tour-Pak...cuz if Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
She just got home, I lied she's 5'1". She said yea I do look tall after reading your thread and looking at the picture. I also use a throttle rocker, don't think I could do those days without it.
What is a throttle rocker? I never used anything on my Deluxe.

Originally Posted by gtnot
One of the first things I did to my 07 Fat Boy was to add an electronic cruise control. Expensive but worth every penny.

www.cruisemount.com

I'm now in the process of installing touring hard bags and a Tour-Pak...cuz if Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy!
I can't see paying that much for something that ugly on my bike. Hardbags on your fatboy? Have you looked at Boss Bags? They are very nice bags and I think you'd like them better on your bike. Harbags look great on a touring bike, but they aren't as handy as you'd think. Good luck though. I'd like to see your bike with that set up.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

There are a couple types of throttle rockers. The one I have is a molded plastic leaver that is held on the throttle with a Velcro strap. You rest your palm on it . You can ride with your hand open if needed to get the feeling back in it. I've seen another one that is one molded piece. It's a little harder to slip on your throttle but once on there is no slippage. They are a cheap and effective necessitie.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There are a couple types of throttle rockers. The one I have is a molded plastic leaver that is held on the throttle with a Velcro strap. You rest your palm on it . You can ride with your hand open if needed to get the feeling back in it. I've seen another one that is one molded piece. It's a little harder to slip on your throttle but once on there is no slippage. They are a cheap and effective necessitie.
Oh, ok, I had one of those doo-hickeys on my sporty. I lent it to a guy and never got it back. But then I sold the sporty anyways........ I tossed the idea of going back to a Deluxe or getting a Heritage, to my wife, but she's not being to receptive. She wants to know why, and why I keep wanting to change bikes every few years. She said the Deluxe wasn't as comfy as the King.............

Now I'm screwed.................... Maybe we need a test ride to see

Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 AM
CR deluxe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an 08 deluxe and am looking to put an aftermarket seat , any suggestions???

Quick Reply: Touring on a Softail