Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:32 PM
viarengo
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Springer front end

I have a 1986 Softail. Had it a few years. Who ever had it before me tricked it out with lots of chrome, custom paint job, and maybe some engine work.

I really like the look of springer front ends. I may have the opportunity to get a new Harley OEM springer front end. Wanted to get an idea of the problems involved; I know there are issues that would need to be dealt with:

Where could I find out if the one I am anticipating buying will fit my application?

front fender; have custom paint job, so want to use existing fender. Will that be a big problem?

front wheel; currently I have a billet front wheel. Can I keep that?

In looking over forums, it seems that people that have them, love them. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

pv

Attached Thumbnails Springer front end-monk-s-place-back-bay.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Which oem springer is it? Have you got a pic if you're not sure?

Fender wise I'm guessing it's a 21x2.15 wheel? If so the mounts on the fender will be too wide, but if you're handy with fabrication you could make your own mounts.

Billet wheel, depends what width. Springers require a narrower wheel hub in most applications to fit the brakes on without the pivot arm or brake hanger hitting the legs. The narrower hub can also mean some calipers won't fit on certain wheels. Though looking at the pic I'm almost certain it's a 21x2.15. Can you measure the hub width only on the wheel.

Late model oem springers with the shock ride much better, but far more expensive. They're offset (de-raked) and no option in different lengths. But you can use lowered springs and or rockers to drop it. Old VL and WL springers which have no shock will feel more floaty, but are much shorter. Prepare for a big drop in height (depending on models they vary around 16"-19" in length. These are also inline springers, much like all the after market springers out there this means the rear legs run inline with the neck stem. So the rake on your neck frame will be the rake the springer is

The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (04-26-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:00 PM
viarengo
Novice
Default Springer

Ink88: Thanks for your detailed reply.

Hopefully over the weekend I will have time to study it in detail and followup.

Paul

Old 03-04-2017, 01:27 AM
viarengo
Novice
Default Sprung for the springer!

Ink83

Well, I sprung for the springer; see attached pics.

I have included pic of part number; quite certain it is OEM Harley; not sure of the year, although it is a later model, and measures same as original forks, 23 " from bottom of tree to center of axle.

I have also included pic of the existing front end of of my 1986 Softtail.

There is a pretty big bike swap meet in Richmond, VA this Sunday; I am in VA Beach - about an hour and a half away. If I could come up with a shopping list, I would see if I might find some of what is needed.

I know I need the center shock.

I was hoping to be able to retain my billet front wheel. Any idea if that is feasible? It seems my wheel measures 22.25 X 3"; I assume that is about the same as the 21 x 2.15 figure you referenced?

Also, I want to keep my front fender; custom paint. I have seen where someone has custom one side mount for fenders. And to your point, I do have a friend who is good with fabrication.

>Can you measure the hub width only on the wheel.
If I am understanding correctly, it looks like 6 1/2 ", to the rotor. The distance between the legs seems to be the same as the distance between the existing front end tubes, about 8".

>to fit the brakes on without the pivot arm or brake hanger hitting the legs.
Not sure about all that.

Anything else I might need?

Thanks for all your insight.

Paul

Attached Thumbnails Springer front end-front-of-springer.jpg   Springer front end-back-of-springer.jpg   Springer front end-side.jpg   Springer front end-part-number.jpg   Springer front end-side-shot-of-harley-at-officemax.jpg  

Old 03-04-2017, 01:49 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I recently had a discussion about a guy on here that had an '88 springer and because of the design had to mount it about 6" from the tire. In that same thread I had posted a picture of the fender that mounted to one side or possibly the brake holder/bracket. No offence meant toward the OP but you may want to check out that thread, I believe it was called, "my project bike"

viarengo (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

That's an FL (Heritage Springer) fork. It has the tab for a fork padlock which makes it a '97-99 model year.

The brake mounts on the left. Fender mounts to the axle and the springer part of the fork and moves with the wheel. The tire/wheel size is 130-90 x 16".

Here's a pic of an '02 which is essentially the same as the one you have. This one has an aftermarket brake (Hawg Halter). Original brake is a single piston caliper.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:11 PM
viarengo
Novice

gtmalone: Thanks for the insight, and pictures.

I just got back from a swap meet in Richmond where I spoke to a guy who had a springer front end for sale. He shared some additional information.

My conclusion: Seek out a pro, and have them do the installation.

pv

Spy11 (04-26-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

It's not so much the width of the rim, it's the width of the hub that will become an issue if too wide. Once the brake hanger is on the axle outside of the rotor, at the top where it will hold the caliper is roughly where the pivot arm will attach to. So if you look at the springer from the front dead on, with the wheel on and axle through, the hanger will sit maybe 1/4" off the rotor. Now at this point roughly, will the front leg get on the road of a pivot arm going from the rear leg to the rough point of the brake hanger? Will the angle of the pivot arm hit anything at all? I know this is a real rough idea but at least it will give you some idea

Spy11 (04-26-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM
viarengo
Novice

Thanks Ink.

Recognizing this project is above my pay grade, I took the springer to a local bike shop today. These guys are well respected.

We talked about some of the issues that need to be considered. However, not having my bike there, made it impossible to make an accurate assessment of the situation. Consequently, I will be taking the springer and the bike to the shop next week for a closer look.

I will pass on your comments as I believe a multitude of consultants can be a good thing.

I'll let you know how it goes.

pv

Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 PM
viarengo
Novice
Default The Springer Saga

Recognizing this project was beyond my capabilities, I have taken it to an old hand that did a little checking.

Come to find out that springer I have is a FLST. What I really should have is a FXST.

Apparently the FLST can be made to work, although it would change the posture of my bike. You guys may have already pointed that out.

Consequently, I am now looking for a OEM FXST chrome springer.

Have been checking the usual suspects, e.g. Google, Ebay, etc. And I will see if there is a place to post Wants&Needs on this site. Any other suggestions?

And any idea what a fair market price for a OEM FXST chrome springer might be?

As well as a reasonable price I might get for the FLST I have; missing upper triple-tree, no calipers, headlamp or anything else.

Thanks in advance.

pv

Quick Reply: Springer front end