Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Front End

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Lee.moore1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Front End

I'm trying to put a springer on a 2006 Softail standard.
i have a 23" X 3.5" on the front right now, and a 18" rim on back with shutgun air ride.
what will i need to make this work. i have done a little bit of looking but can't find what i need and when i call people they try to sell me everything!!! (LOL)
not asking for the best of the best but not trying to have **** fall apart!!!

any info will help thanks..

Attached Thumbnails Springer Front End-14184496_1338815826143417_4243073530990868128_n.jpg  
Old 11-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Lee.moore1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man no reply on this!
any help

Old 11-08-2016, 11:43 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Paughco or OEM HD Springer. V-Twin manufacturing has the patent on the HD one now.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Everything?

Well you just about need everything I'm thinking if you go with the later model HD springer. Your brake disc will probably interchange and probably your brake line. I don't know whose front wheel you have but I know I tried to put a Fatboy wheel on the front of my Crossbones and no can do. The hub is ok on width but is too large in circumference for the spacers to work in my case anyway. Ck with your wheel maker. You might be able to use your caliper if you get a springer with a RH brake. Mine is on the LH. My axel is 3/4" but you can get bearings that will fit most. Then there is the risers and handlebars. Springers take different risers and some handlebars have their knurling spaced different. I just paid $200 for risers to change my bars to taller apes. Just a few things to think about and know it's not going to be cheap if you want to be safe.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:09 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowyone
Well you just about need everything I'm thinking if you go with the later model HD springer. Your brake disc will probably interchange and probably your brake line. I don't know whose front wheel you have but I know I tried to put a Fatboy wheel on the front of my Crossbones and no can do. The hub is ok on width but is too large in circumference for the spacers to work in my case anyway. Ck with your wheel maker. You might be able to use your caliper if you get a springer with a RH brake. Mine is on the LH. My axel is 3/4" but you can get bearings that will fit most. Then there is the risers and handlebars. Springers take different risers and some handlebars have their knurling spaced different. I just paid $200 for risers to change my bars to taller apes. Just a few things to think about and know it's not going to be cheap if you want to be safe.
Yeah, I was going to mention the issue with the ft brake, make sure this works properly! I had one on an old chopper and when applied the ft end would tweak and dive, but being Harley I'm sure you shouldn't have this problem. Question I have and have asked before, how do they handle? Do they Pogo? Is braking and cornering effected?

Old 11-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default No Pogo

I've owned 10 Harleys in the last 36 years and my 08 Crossbones is my favorite. The front end is a bit heavier but I like it the way it is. I've an 011 Fatboy that I've upgraded the front with Progressive Monotubes and Shotgun shocks in the rear and feel better in the twisties on the Crossbones. It has a shock between the springs that takes care of any attempt at pogoing. I've had an Electraglide( that was a close second on handleing); a Road Glide; Wideglide; Dyna(handled real well but too crampted riding position); Heritage; Ultra Electraglide; Sport Glide; and my Crossbones is the preferred ride on short to intermediate rides.