Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fender

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front fender

Ok boys I'm thinking on putting a front fender on my rocker.

Looking for input. I'm thinking since I will eventually put the heartland kit on the back (with their medium length rear fender) I'm thinking on getting a full front fender.

This one from klock Werks is somewhat the look I'm thinking.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/246-287
I'm not sure that it will fit over my tire now that I'm running the wider tire on the 3.5 rim. It says the fender will fit on a 120 wide tire. Mine is 130 if I remember correctly.

Another issue I'm facing is the fact that I now have a wide glide front end (with the stock lower legs). So i feel like it's gonna be a pain in the *** to get a front fender with the correct mounting holes for the rocker lowers (one hole on top of the other) and also it has to fit in the wide glide front end. I know I can trim the mounting area on the front fender and drill holes but I'm hoping to not have to do that.

Any of you guys that are running a wide glide front end with stock lowers on your rocker point me in the right direction?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:11 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,658 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Buy a fender blank at least a 1/2" wider than the rubber Alain. Are your forks 41 or 49mm? Start cutting to suit your taste.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....I went with Russ Wernimont Design (RWD)...14 gauge steel wrap around long flared fender....designed for the baggers but it fit rather well inside the wide glide front end . I made up some templates for where I wanted to trim .....plasma cut the excess....sanded smooth and we were good to go . the wheel is a 23" x 3.5" with a avon cobra 130/60-23 .

Last edited by professorzoogy; 12-31-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by back again
Buy a fender blank at least a 1/2" wider than the rubber Alain. Are your forks 41 or 49mm? Start cutting to suit your taste.
My forks are 49mm. I'm trying to stay away from having to do too much cutting. I have a grinder at home but I don't have the steadiest hands so I'm not too thrilled about having to cut it myself.

Originally Posted by professorzoogy

....I went with Russ Wernimont Design (RWD)...14 gauge steel wrap around long flared fender....designed for the baggers but it fit rather well inside the wide glide front end . I made up some templates for where I wanted to trim .....plasma cut the excess....sanded smooth and we were good to go . the wheel is a 23" x 3.5" with a avon cobra 130/60-23 .
Professor, that's exactly the look I want. That exact length fender. Yours is for a 23 incher, I hope and I'm sure they make them for 21 inch wheels.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:11 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer

.....yup....go on their site .....they have the "softail" section front fenders for 21" . you only need to re-drill your mounting holes as yours seem to be horizontal ......no big deal in that . or see if there is a listing for the deuce model .

lol....just had a look......they now have a Rockers / Breakout section....you can have a bolt on fender ready to paint ! .

Last edited by professorzoogy; 12-31-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Do they really ?!? I looked quickly on his site and didn't notice it. Gonna have to go back there and look again. The problem is that they'll probably only have fenders for the stock rocker front end.

I was actually measuring the space in the front end and noticed that the front wheel is not centered in the front end. It's off towards the exhaust side by around 1/4 inch. So I'm thinking if I get a regular fender it's gonna sit off center on the tire when I mount it. That's gonna annoy the hell out of me every time I see it.

The stock rocker front end/front wheel setup was also off centered. The stock front fender's mounting bracket had an offset built into it to make up for it.

Here is a picture. See how tey make up for it with kick out on the right side?

How the hell would I make up for that ?

Attached Thumbnails Front fender-image.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 10:47 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer

wtf??? that is retarded......so HD offset the the upper / lower tables for the for the fork tubes ???? the steering stem is center of the bike ....there should be the same distance on each side for the fork tubes .....the front wheel (tire off ) on the edge of the rim (each side) should be the same distance in relation to the fork sliders. I understand they put a 250 or something like that on that model but why the hell the offset front wheel ? both front and rear wheels should be in the centerline of the frame . that thing must weave in the corners lol ! any way...back to the fender. the offset side will require some spacers ....the other side mounted direct to the fork slider .

Old 12-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

I know man. I don't know what they were thinking when they built this ****ing thing !! Finding parts for it is a damn nightmare !!

not sure how I would get a fender that's already wide enough to fit in a wide glide front end to space over to one side.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Crazy you posted this today because I was thinking of running a front fender on my fatboy as well and was concerned with the look of it with the RSD tracker kit...But professors bike just made me make up my mind..

Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alain
I know man. I don't know what they were thinking when they built this ****ing thing !! Finding parts for it is a damn nightmare !!

not sure how I would get a fender that's already wide enough to fit in a wide glide front end to space over to one side.

it's just a detail......get yourself a couple of straight edges....measure the thickness of your tire from edge to edge making sure you use the upper and lower portion on each side of the tire so the straight edges are parallel . measure in between the 2 edges.....get a fender that is at least 1/2 (minimum) wider than the tire you have...and less than the inside measure of the fork sliders.....center the fender to the tire / wheel....measure the inside of your wide glide forks (at the fender mounting points) or use the stock fender to get the dimensions.....make up some spacers to fill in the remaining gap and your done .

Quick Reply: Front fender