Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike Cost Info

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike Cost Info

It was suggested that I re-post this here instead of the New Member forum. I am hoping that it woudl be of interest to anyone buying a new bike.

This will be my first Harley (after 40 years of riding other stuff).

I have decided on a '09 Road King Classic, in turquoise and antique white. ABS, security system, removable passenger backrest and luggage rack. I'm undecided on swapping out the speedo for a combination speedo/tach unit at great expense. I will be putting down a deposit on the bike this weekend.

My question, (thanks for having read this far) is "How flexible should I expect the dealer to be on the price?"

I know HD is hurting for sales and I know the used market is pretty,um, generous at the moment. But I don't have a feel for how much markup a dealer has in the MSRP. For cars and trucks, there is Edmunds and KBB which can give you dealer cost on a new vehicle. I have found used bike values, but not for new.

Anyone have any info of use?

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited by ArgyleRider; 10-28-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of what you read "most" dealers are still selling Harleys a decent rate. Therefore in most cases you probably won't be able to get it any lower that MSRP esp on a brand new '09 that has a completely new redesign.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM
kls
Stage II

Just joined this forum. I've been riding off and on for years. Last bike was a 1150rt bmw. Bought an 09 RKC (red sunglo/gold) a couple of weeks ago. I'm very pleased with it. The total cost of the bike was $23K. This includes sales tax. It is difficult to get an invoice on these and I'm not sure it does any good. I determined I wanted to pay no more than $21K. We did negotiated....got the bike for $21,500 plus a $350 gift certificate. You may be a able to do better than this now that the economy has tanked.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM
jeepmanjeff
Advanced

I just bought an 09 ultra 2 weeks ago. I got it for $25162 out the door with 7 year extended warranty and $1500 in accessories.. The MSRP was $24192.

The MSRP you can pretty much guarantee they will not drop. Look to "OTHER" ways of getting more abng for your buck.

By the way I have a detatchable back rest with everything I am wanting to get rid of. It came off an 06 Road Glide and will fit your new bike.

Call me if you like 513-569-6845.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Just left the dealership today, and in our area MSRP for 09's is pretty much what you're going to pay. From what I've read, it's that way across the country. You can negotiate other items, but the bottom line is you'll prolly pay MSRP to put one in the garage. Now remember, the new 2010 models are due for release in about 9 months..... You can get a great deal on an 08 now, so you do the math....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSRP, but negotiate all the other stuff. Especially the extended warranty if you want it because this is something they will deal on. I think the issue is, especially on the 09's is the dealer will not want word to get out that they are willing to sell for less than MSRP as they know how word travels in the biker community. If they have "deal" in their vocabulary it will be on something besides actual bike price. Knowing this and me wanting the extended warranty anyway, I told the dealer I would purchase the 7 yr ESP with tire and wheel coverage if he would find another $400 in my trade, which I already knew he had more in the trade than he should have. His comment was no way, he already had too much in the trade, but when I started peeling off the $100 bills to pay for the bike, he changed his tune and discounted the ESP. One other thing, mine was already a bare bones deal for the dealer as it was a Firefighter Ultra with the Firefighter discount. In 2006 I purchased a non firefighter Road King new, still had to pay MSRP but dealer gave me a 7 year extended warranty as incentive it was one of the last 2 06's they had. Two weeks later canceled the warranty got a check for $1900.

Last edited by Deepsouth251; 10-28-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Default Thanks for the info

I appreciate the insight, everyone. I figured I'd be paying close to invoice and maybe cut a deal for the accessories. Being married to an accountant, I have to do these things.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
skyking
Tourer

I purchased an 09 Ultra about two months ago. I paid $23,400 out the door. I also got the second intercom headset for my wife ($200 value), and the tour pack detach kit ($549 value). Essentially, I got the bike for msrp plus sales tax. No set-up, freight, security, Ca emmisions. Plus, dealer gave me $13,000 for my 05 Road King Classic.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers in FL can't negotiate the ESP pricing...it's the law (unfortunately). If you live in FL and want the ESP, try buying the warranty from an out of state dealer.

Harry

Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
Dealers in FL can't negotiate the ESP pricing...it's the law (unfortunately). If you live in FL and want the ESP, try buying the warranty from an out of state dealer.

Harry
Harry,
Check your PM for msg from a neighbor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Bike Cost Info