Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My 79 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012 | 04:41 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

... sexy picture ...

Q: is the sheet metal around the rear of the primary under the seat stock ... I've seen this before on about half the old FLHs ...

On many, it has been removed ... seems to me it just adds dead weight and doesn't add much to (or IMO detracts from) the looks ...

Nice find ...

R/
'Chop

Old 04-29-2012 | 04:15 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop

... sexy picture ...

Q: is the sheet metal around the rear of the primary under the seat stock ... I've seen this before on about half the old FLHs ...

On many, it has been removed ... seems to me it just adds dead weight and doesn't add much to (or IMO detracts from) the looks ...

Nice find ...

R/
'Chop
I think they are stock covers because I have seen ads from back then for the FLH and it had them on in the pics. I cant decide if I like them or not so I am gonna leave them on for now and see how it goes. I took them off to clean and do some repairs but it looked a little plain without them, so I cant decide what to do... As far as dead weight they are really light. Their basically stamped out sheet metal and chromed so thats no big deal.

Some of my riding buddies hate the covers so I will more than likely keep them on there to **** them off...

Last edited by rapp76; 04-29-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2012 | 04:23 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scuba
I have a 79 FLH too..i drain my oil, put plug back in add 1 quart new oil and start bike up for a couple mins and drain oil again, been doin it for 16 years on my FLH...drain plug for tranny in on the bottom of the tranny, careful not to over tighten it..i run gear lube also 20 0z is what i put in mine..if it dosen't clunk in gear, it might be a honda...primary is oiled from engine from factory, many isolate their primarys, as i did...if isolated, stand bike up straight and add oil to the bottom of the clutch basket..good luck
Sounds good to me thanks! I will have to check and see if my priamary is isolated or not. From what I understand there will be some lines blocked off at the oil pump or something? I dont really understand the reason behind isolating it but...

Old 04-29-2012 | 04:27 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

The manual I have id from HD and is about 180 or so pages but I just found one on here that is over 400? I am gonna print it at work tomorrow but this might help me cut down on the stupid questions...

Old 05-02-2012 | 02:22 PM
RHPAW
Banned

Basically, isolating the primary keeps clutch filings from being circulated back into your engine. The factory started doing it when they went to the Evo.

Old 05-09-2012 | 09:30 AM
Loyd Pittman
6th Gear

AMEN BROTHER!!!!! LOL! Just bought my 77 FLH and was going to post this same birage of questions. After a week of trollin' these forums..............I have a headache!! Finally some relief Ha Ha.

Old 05-09-2012 | 09:35 AM
Loyd Pittman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rapp76
So I don't want to beat a dead horse here on this forum but I have some lubrication questions... (roll eyes now). I want to change my fluids, I drained my oil tank and replaced the drop in filter. I read in the manual to pour in a quart of kerosene and mix it around to flush the crap out. Is this something i should do every oil change? And is draining the tank and rinsing it with kerosene all I have to do? It says to not worry about the oil left in the case or lines because its no more than 5 oz, but I have a cooler, will that make a difference? I am gonna run Amsoil 50w or 60w...

Is the primary lubricated from the engine oil? Or is that another fluid to change?

I cant find anything in the manual about changing the tranny fluid, except for when to do it. I see the fill hole but don't see a drain hole, although I am sure I missed it because I don't know what I am looking for? How much does it take to fill the tranny? I have seen anywhere from 12oz to 24 oz? Also seems like most say to use 80/90w gear lube? I took off the fill cover and it smelled like gear lube. A lot I read talked about "clunking" when put in to 1st gear which mine does too.

I hate to ask all these questions but when I get lost reading 10,000 threads on different forums I get even more confused about what should be used. This stuff seems so simple, but the more I read the more I realize some have turned it into rocket science... Thanks again
AMEN BROTHER!!!!! LOL! Just bought my 77 FLH and was going to post this same birage of questions. After a week of trollin' these forums..............I have a headache!! Finally some relief Ha Ha.

Old 05-09-2012 | 11:04 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

I read in the manual to pour in a quart of kerosene and mix it around to flush the crap out. Is this something i should do every oil change? And is draining the tank and rinsing it with kerosene all I have to do?

I would not add kerosene to the oil bag unless it was removed from the bike. Think about it, you dump it in the bag some of it will find its way to the feed line which of course feeds the motor.

It says to not worry about the oil left in the case or lines because its no more than 5 oz, but I have a cooler, will that make a difference?

Still would not sweat it...there are folks who tend to be a bit **** (not bad rapping them it is just the way some folks are) and will try to get every drop of old oil out. So far my 65 pan is subjected to regular service intervals without that added bit and it is has been a solid runner since 1970.

I am gonna run Amsoil 50w or 60w

I have been thinking about changing over to Amsoil my self. If you check their site it is recommended that you run their 60 wt. in older iron. Additionally there is a lot of opinions about whether to run syn or not in older iron. I will not get into the mix and say to run it/or not. There are pros and cons that you can research. Thinking of doing it to see if the bike runs cooler and reduces valve train noise.

Is the primary lubricated from the engine oil? Or is that another fluid to change?

If you have a stock assembly there is a line that takes oil from the pump and goes to the primary chain to lubricate it. Excess is sucked back into the system and filtered and re-circulated. probably not the best idea of MoCo, but it was a far cry better than that used prior to 65 when it was a constant loss system (how HDs came to be known as marking their spots)

I see the fill hole but don't see a drain hole, although I am sure I missed it because I don't know what I am looking for?

Drain plug for tranny on my 49 Pan...bottom almost center

Drain plug on the 84 Shovel...back right corner

How much does it take to fill the tranny? I have seen anywhere from 12oz to 24 oz?

Takes 1-1/2 pints

Also seems like most say to use 80/90w gear lube?

I use 60 wt. same as in motor on the pans and shovel without problems, but again there are a lot of opinions on this.

Last edited by panz4ever; 05-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2012 | 08:20 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

All the answers to my questions in one post WITH pics!!!! You the man Panz!!!! I don't want to start a pissing match over oils either. I know there are tons of opinions on which is best, but what I care about is what the Shovel guys are doing because their bikes have been on the rode 30-40 years so how could that be wrong???

This is my first full year with a Shovel so I don't have a opinion on what works best for my bike yet, and it appears I am gonna miss half of it due to paint and getting married but oh well, I'll have to make up for it with the 2nd half of summer and fall.... lol

Last edited by rapp76; 05-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2012 | 09:07 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

OK, so again, I am NOT trying to start so pissing match over oils but I was just on the Amsoil site, and call me dumb but are they only synthetics? From what I have read a lot of people use them but I don't think I want to run syn... Now what?

Quick Reply: My 79 FLH