Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM
BorrachoMidget
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!

Warning - photo heavy. We finally had the opportunity to take a trip up US 191 from Clifton To Springerville - even though we live in Tucson! My wife rode her own and we left early Wed. 8/7. Four days and 841 miles. Tucson-Safford-Clifton-Morenci mine-Hannigan's Meadow-Alpine-Eager-Pinetop-Show Low-Heber-Payson-Pine-Strawberry-Jerome-Prescott-back to Payson-Roosevelt Lake-Globe-Tucson.

We were very lucky and never hit any rain - even though we are in the middle of monsoon season. There was rain around us, and we got close, but never needed the rain gear. Road conditions were generally pretty good. There was some road construction at mile marker 184 heading North on US 191 ("Devil's Highway" - formerly US 666 for those that don't know). They were chip sealing which made for a loose, gravely ride, but only for a mile or two. Otherwise a few small rocks had fallen in the road, and a few tar snakes that were a bit slick. Did not see much wildlife, unfortunately. Great ride, beautiful scenery, and had some great conversations with "strangers" along the way.

Arizona is not all sand and cactus!!

The route:
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-9ziitfh.jpg

Breakfast at PJ's in Clifton:
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-9lh8csq.jpg

Morenci mine:
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-l4zjm0b.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-aawyjnu.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-gu62yxr.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-u272ipo.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-jixtiae.jpg

Cabin at Hannigan's Meadow Lodge:
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-hrlarxl.jpg

Others from the ride:
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-xbws6oi.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-te2hryz.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-vej0ydi.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-7njhv4b.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-t6qkpzp.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-7hjqoc7.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-lsxc9n3.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-1dsuc77.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-9sjs4ln.jpg

Roosevelt Lake bridge
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-2hiaix6.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-eeaicmm.jpg
Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!-nbeyh40.jpg

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice pictures...thanks for posting them.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Nice photos, thanks for sharing!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Great pics. I was in the area last week. My plan was to do the coranado trail while I was in your state, but my bike was broken down, and miss a day of riding. I was essentially going to do that loop in one day. lol.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM
BorrachoMidget
Supporter

Thanks! Sorry to hear of the bike troubles. I know guys will leave Tucson, head up the 191, cut over to Show Low or Payson, and head back to Tucson in a day. Definitely doable. Hopefully you'll get a chance to get back down here again soon.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Great pics. I was in the area last week. My plan was to do the coranado trail while I was in your state, but my bike was broken down, and miss a day of riding. I was essentially going to do that loop in one day. lol.
That would be one long day. Sorry about your bike, you missed some great scenery and the best ride in AZ.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Great pics! We ride the Coronado Trail several times a year.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM
T.W.Dustin
Tourer

Great pics! What a great state we live in for riding.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

PJ's in Clifton is a great place to eat. We eat there every time we go through Clifton.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM
jcole
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice pictures! I've ridden all those roads, and have to say that it is some of the best riding anywhere...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Northern AZ including US 191 Arizona - Coronado Trail - Photo heavy!