Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Raked Triple Tree Test Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Raked Triple Tree Test Ride

Just got back from my test ride with the new triple trees installed. I bought them with the sidecar but held off on installing them because I wanted to get some seat time without them to provide a good comparison. Let me say that it is night and day! The steering is so easy now. I feel like I could use my fingers to make a turn where before I had to muscle the bars.

The new trees raked the forks out 5 degrees. I also installed some Progressive springs. Man this thing rides smooth compared to before. For those off you on the fence about getting raked trees, do it. You won't regret it.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the exact same thing including adding the progressive Suspension fork springs. 100% agreement here. Mine rides a LOT smoother and steers great. Really more improvement than I ever expected.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fenders

1sportytrike: I'm curious, what is the purpose of covering the front section of your fenders??

Old 02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey oldmsocko, I wondered if you got my pm because sometimes it doesn't send for me. I keep the covers on there because of bugs and road junk wants to mess the paint up for me in that area. It's easier for me to keep the leather cleaned and undamaged than it is for paint. Just a personal thing I guess, but I like the looks of them too. Some may not.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abnmarine
Just got back from my test ride with the new triple trees installed. I bought them with the sidecar but held off on installing them because I wanted to get some seat time without them to provide a good comparison. Let me say that it is night and day! The steering is so easy now. I feel like I could use my fingers to make a turn where before I had to muscle the bars.

The new trees raked the forks out 5 degrees. I also installed some Progressive springs. Man this thing rides smooth compared to before. For those off you on the fence about getting raked trees, do it. You won't regret it.

abnmarine,

Great looking rig you got there......We currently have a 90 FLH with a HD side car and now considering buying a Liberty for our 2005 FLH along with getting the raked tripple trees. Your post on the results of changing the TT's helps our decision on this. The Liberty car looks awsome and your pic's make it hard not to spring for this car. Thanks for sharing!!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey abn - whose trees did you buy & where did you get them from? Maybe i will try that on my 2002 ultra rig

Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baffler1
Hey abn - whose trees did you buy & where did you get them from? Maybe i will try that on my 2002 ultra rig
I bought them from Liberty sidecars. Not sure who makes them for them but they are a solid piece. Very nicely made.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering if you notice any difference in the clearance of the frame or if the stance of the front end is or looks lower with the new triple tree installed??

Reason I ask is I was wondering about clearance under the oil cooler and how the rig looks sitting from a distance?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member

I extended the fork sliders 2 inches or it would have sat lower. I thin k the rule of thumb is for every 3 degrees of rake you need to extend the forks 1 inch to stay level.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I was wondering if you notice any difference in the clearance of the frame or if the stance of the front end is or looks lower with the new triple tree installed??

Reason I ask is I was wondering about clearance under the oil cooler and how the rig looks sitting from a distance?
The trees came with new fork caps that were 1 1/2" longer than stock. The bike sits pretty level.

Quick Reply: Raked Triple Tree Test Ride