General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Cobalt Blue Pearl Touch-up Paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt Blue Pearl Touch-up Paint ?

Does anyone have the Cobalt Blue Pearl (a 2007 color) H-D factory touch-up paint kit? If so, does the kit contain a bottle of blue paint and a bottle of clearcoat? If it has the clearcoat, is the clearcoat tinted blue? What numbers are on each of the labels on the bottles?

The reason that I am asking is that I parked my '07 Jake Blue Sunglo/Elwood Blue Sunglo next to a '07 Cobalt Blue Pearl Ultra and the Cobalt Blue looked identical to the Jake Blue.

I just got the touch up kit for my bike and the number for the Jake Blue is 33H014 and the Blue tint clearcoat is 33H017.

I am trying to find out if the two colors are the same or not. Maybe the metallic paint is the same and the only difference is the tinted clearcoat.

Help anyone?

Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Cobalt Blue Pearl Touch-up Paint ?

The HD Paint book shows the PN as 98601BXT for '07 Deep Cobalt touch-up; it doesn't provide anything for clearcoat touch-up. All of the HD PNs for touch up have the same five-digit prefix; only the letter suffix identifies the color. I was at the dealer earlier this week and copied the pages for '06 an '07--the information given is from that source.

Where did you get the PNs in your original post; curious since they don't resemble what I found in the HD paint book.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Harleypingman:

The actual H-D part# for the touch-up paint kit is 94447.

The package contains 3 bottles of touch-up paint:
1. Jake Dark Blue 33H014,
2. Blue Bro Topcoat 33H017
3. Elwood Light Blue 33H110

The numbers starting with 33H are on the label on each of the bottles

Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Mr. Clean: Interesting information; I will check the HD parts/paint book for "kit" and see what I find.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

I ordered the touch up kit from HD dealer and in costs about 20.00 but it comes with the touch up color and clear coat.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

MCSarge:

When you get the kit, please post the numbers and description on each of the bottles of touch-up.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

MCSarge: Did you ever receive your Cobalt Blue touch-up paint? If so, please let me know the numbers and the descriptions on each of the bottles.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 AM
dhuey
Intermediate

Just remember guy's that when your brush touching up a candy or tricoat that you will not get the same effect or color as you would when spraying it. It will fill the nick but won't match.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

I fully understand that touch-up paint will never be the same as spray painting. I have done lots of touch-up paint on show cars and with a lot of work, can make touch-up on small chips and scratched barely visible.

However, that is not what I am trying to find out here.

My bike is the 2007 custom colors Jake Blue Sunglo and Elwood Blue Sunglo. The Jake Blue appears to be very close to 2006/2007 Deep Cobalt blue. Harley does not sell Jake Blue paint, but they sell the touch-up kit. They do sell both the touch-up kit as well as paint for the Deep Cobalt.

I have purchased the touch-up kit for my bike. In addition to the metallic colors Jake and Elwood Blue, there is a bottle of blue-tinted clearcoat.

I am trying to find out what the color codes arein the Deep Cobalt touch-up kit. One color should be the Deep Cobalt metallic and the other is the clear coat. I suspect the clear coat is clear, not tinted.

I have had my bike parked next to a Deep Cobalt 2007 and that color looks almost the same as my Jake Blue. I suspect that Harley may have used the same blue metallic paint for Deep Cobalt as forJake Blue, but used a tinted clearcoat rather than a clear clearcoat for the Jake Blue.

The reason for all this is that I am considering purchasing a used set of hard saddlebags for my bike and have them repainted to match the Jake blue. But, unlessI can feel confident that the paintcan bematched,I will just keep the leather bags.

I can get Harley or PPG paint in Deep Cobalt, but since Harley will not sell the Jake Blue paint and so far, no one has been able to come up with a matching PPG paint code, I am hoping it is the same as Deep Cobalt, but with blue tinted clearcoat.

I even considered spending the big$$$ for factory painted Jake/Elwood Blue hardbags, but the only onesHarley ever madeare for the Ultra Classic and the paintscheme on those bags will not go with my RK Classic paint scheme. I checked and they will not sell the hard bags in the color schemefor the RKC as they were not available on new bikes. That is their policy on custom colors - no exceptions whatsoever! I will need to have them painted by a paint shop.

With all the Deep Cobalt blue bikes out there, someone must have a touch-up kit who can tell me the color codes and names on the bottles. Anyone???

Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mr. Clean

I am trying to find out what the color codes arein the Deep Cobalt touch-up kit. One color should be the Deep Cobalt metallic and the other is the clear coat. I suspect the clear coat is clear, not tinted.

I have had my bike parked next to a Deep Cobalt 2007 and that color looks almost the same as my Jake Blue. I suspect that Harley may have used the same blue metallic paint for Deep Cobalt as forJake Blue, but used a tinted clearcoat rather than a clear clearcoat for the Jake Blue.

The reason for all this is that I am considering purchasing a used set of hard saddlebags for my bike and have them repainted to match the Jake blue. But, unlessI can feel confident that the paintcan bematched,I will just keep the leather bags.

I can get Harley or PPG paint in Deep Cobalt, but since Harley will not sell the Jake Blue paint and so far, no one has been able to come up with a matching PPG paint code, I am hoping it is the same as Deep Cobalt, but with blue tinted clearcoat.

With all the Deep Cobalt blue bikes out there, someone must have a touch-up kit who can tell me the color codes and names on the bottles. Anyone???
I just happened to run across this thread and I do havea Deep Cobalt touch up kit. The number on the DEEP COBALT bottle is 98601BXT and the number on the CLEAR TOPCOAT bottle is 98600EK. I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Blue Pearl Touch-up Paint ?