Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some 26 inch Wheel and Rake advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
Unless all you want to do is ride in a straight line or enter it in shows... Don't Do It!
Uh-huh.... sure.

Maybe the ones you've seen that were hacked. Not the ones that are built the correct way.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
Uh-huh.... sure.

Maybe the ones you've seen that were hacked. Not the ones that are built the correct way.
OK, I'll bite - What is the "correct way"? I was always under the impression that steering geometry is steering geometry and that if you fool with Mother Nature, she can come back with a vengeance.

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 10-03-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

next youll be adding fuzzy dice and curb feelers.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,921 Likes on 3,290 Posts

A friend of mine runs a 30" tire on his bagger with air suspension and the whole nine, I've rode it and it handles a little different but you would be fine.

Now, just a few things to keep in mind. Rakes will involve cutting and welding... it's just something you need to get past. The bike in the photo below has a 9 degree rake from Paul Yaffe.
A set of trees will run you about $800
That does not include wheels, tires or the labor to install. You will also need a new fairing.
I could see a build like this running upwards of $4k with paint.

http://www.baggernation.com/main.htm

Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
OK, I'll bite - What is the "correct way"? I was always under the impression that steering geometry is steering geometry and that if you fool with Mother Nature, she can come back with a vengeance.
Very good! You are correct, steering geometry is... steering geometry! But Mother Nature controls rain... not rake.

Proper builds use the correct trail numbers. Hack jobs... do not. There's plenty of information regarding all of this, and I'm certainly not interested in convincing naysayers otherwise. But if someone is genuinely interested in good resources, I'll always be happy to share.

If you're genuinely looking for good resources of credible info, I'll be glad to send you a pm. If you're just trolling, then don't bother. Because I really don't care about your opinion, or what you do to your bike. The OP was legitimately asking for info, and I obliged.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 10-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wanna Ride:
BluesStringer (08-13-2019), Johnny Goodlife (01-21-2018)
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
The Wine Guy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 inch bagger

Just stumbled on your request for a 26 inch wheel advice. Did you make your move,,and did you ever get advice from anyone who actually rides one. I do

Attached Thumbnails Need some 26 inch Wheel and Rake advice?-dsc_0292.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Reckless14
Stage III
Default 26 inch wheel

Originally Posted by The Wine Guy
Just stumbled on your request for a 26 inch wheel advice. Did you make your move,,and did you ever get advice from anyone who actually rides one. I do
i want to out a 26 inch wheel i on my glide but i ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we ride all over the country and i know people say its fine now they don't wobble but id love to hear someone who has one and really goes on trips not on a trailer. any help???

Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 AM
Jaraiza23
Stage I
Default GA shop/guys.

Originally Posted by back again
HHI and Ness make trees that will help with the geometry.Check out FBI
Hey here. You mentioned that you knew a couple of guys in GA that did good work and have been stretching out baggers. I'm buying a street glide soon and would like to do drop a HHI kit with a 26" wheel. Can you please provide their contact info.?
Thanks,
Joe.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Ryan C. Sanford Remax-Virginia
2nd Gear

I'm just curious. I ordered a 26 front for my 16 Road Glide. Bought the American Suspension bolt on rake kit, and HHI lowers. I'm contemplating either Aexo suspension tubes and lowering an inch, or air. Anyone's thoughts on the pros and cons of both? If you don't like a 26 then no need to comment.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 17,071 Likes on 6,786 Posts

Here's a thought. I'm neither for nor against large diameter tires, but for those of you who travel around the country on your bikes, you might check on the general availability of whichever tire size you choose. It'd be a big bummer to shred a tire 1500 miles from home and not be able to find a replacement in a reasonable timeframe. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply: Need some 26 inch Wheel and Rake advice?