General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skully_68
yea it be a real easy job if you didnt have to remove the inner primary but that rotor just wont sqeeze by,if a shops going to do it for a hundred bucks hell you cant beat that,but i would ask wtf are you going to be grinding on, no grinding
The "proper" way is to remove the inner primary cover - on some models there's not enough clearance to get the rotor out - the rotor gets hung up on the opening of the inner cover. The reason for the grinding is to gain clearance so you DON'T have to remove the inner primary cover to remove the rotor. Most people feel the amount of material that needs to be removed is not enough to weaken the casting, and it saves an hour of labor time.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:48 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by QehQeh
The "proper" way is to remove the inner primary cover - on some models there's not enough clearance to get the rotor out - the rotor gets hung up on the opening of the inner cover. The reason for the grinding is to gain clearance so you DON'T have to remove the inner primary cover to remove the rotor. Most people feel the amount of material that needs to be removed is not enough to weaken the casting, and it saves an hour of labor time.
Maybe it's just me, but the manual should contain the "proper" way to do it. According to him the manual states that you DO NOT have to remove the inner primary. With that in mind, the "proper" way to do it is with the inner primary in place.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

For Christ's sake..............the 2007 Softail manual specifically states on 8-17 under Alternator of section 8 (electrical) under "Note" "It is not necessary to remove the inner primary chaincase to remove the alternator"

Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ftanner
Maybe it's just me, but the manual should contain the "proper" way to do it. According to him the manual states that you DO NOT have to remove the inner primary. With that in mind, the "proper" way to do it is with the inner primary in place.
Originally Posted by dawg
For Christ's sake..............the 2007 Softail manual specifically states on 8-17 under Alternator of section 8 (electrical) under "Note" "It is not necessary to remove the inner primary chaincase to remove the alternator"
Yes, you are correct. I was just answering Skully's question of why there would be any grinding needed. And I stated "On some models.." On my '06 Dyna FXDBI, you either have to grind for clearance, or take off the primary chaincase to get the rotor/comp assembly off.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

There was another thread that makes it look easy. The thread is about replacing compensator but you will get down to the point where you can drop a new stator in. The grinding is so you can slide the rotor off the shaft to get to the stator without having to pull the inside primary cover off the shafts.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...it-w-pics.html

Last edited by cromagnon; 04-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Guess I messed up when I changed my stator. Left the inner primary on...

Gotta love it when folks give advice on stuff they haven't done themselves.

"Oh yea, my ex brother-in-laws, second cousins, parole officer said it was so!!!"

Beav

Attached Thumbnails Stator Replacement-big-bore-buildup-030.jpg   Stator Replacement-big-bore-buildup-027.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BB4xl
$100 is a steal. Of course this has to be plus parts. If you go with the same output stator you can reuse the rotor if it has no damage or signs of wear. A lot of people say you should replace the regulator also. Are you confident in his abilities?
Check the magnets on the rotor too. Sometimes the heat causes the glue to weaken, so if you try to wiggle them they can pull off. I've seen this happen helping friends out. We use JB Weld to glue em back on, but you have to clamp them over night. Or just replace the F'n rotor with the stator.

Hey, Beav, you got a 99 I think. Plenty of room on that primary setup. My 05 is good too. I think it was 06 or 07 when the clearance issues started?

Last edited by cromagnon; 04-21-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
Guess I messed up when I changed my stator. Left the inner primary on...

Gotta love it when folks give advice on stuff they haven't done themselves.

"Oh yea, my ex brother-in-laws, second cousins, parole officer said it was so!!!"

Beav
Yea but, you took your jugs off....I don't think he'll have to do that. LOL

Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Inner Primary case needs to be ground when installing the SE COMPENSATOR and not when replacing the stock rotor stator. Mine slipped right in and out no issue. 06 dyna

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
There was another thread that makes it look easy. The thread is about replacing compensator but you will get down to the point where you can drop a new stator in. The grinding is so you can slide the rotor off the shaft to get to the stator without having to pull the inside primary cover off the shafts.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...it-w-pics.html
That thread is for the oversized SE Compensator only.

Quick Reply: Stator Replacement