Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many gang bikers carry arms legally

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Many gang bikers carry arms legally

This is crazy !!!

Many gang bikers carry arms legally

By Joe Kafka, Associated Press Writer

It would have been an unusual traffic stop any other time of year in South Dakota, but stopping several armed members of the Outlaws biker gang Thursday evening was not peculiar, a law officer said Friday.

That’s because of the Sturgis motorcycle rally.

Motorcycle gang members carrying concealed handguns are stopped daily during the event that draws throngs of bikers and others to the Black Hills each August, said Capt. Kevin Joffer, district commander of the Highway Patrol at Sioux Falls.

“We tell the media not to sensationalize this because this is not out of the ordinary,” he said. “Please don’t get people excited because this is going on every day at the rally where law enforcement’s encountering these gangs.

“Is it out of the ordinary from what we normally encounter throughout the year in South Dakota? Yes, it is. But the rally is different. Officers stop some of these motorcycle gang members, and there are several of them that do carry weapons.”

Nearly all of those stopped have the necessary permits that allow them to carry hidden handguns, Joffer added.

Statistics so far during rally week, which began Monday, seem to bear that out. Although several hundred thousand bikers have converged on Sturgis, only 11 people have been arrested for concealed weapons violations, said Capt. Randy Hartley, Highway Patrol district commander in Rapid City.

In exchange for the same consideration, South Dakota honors concealed weapons permits from 16 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Joffer said a state trooper stopped about 10 Outlaws motorcycle gang members Thursday night on Interstate 90 near Plankinton because of traffic violations. Backup officers were called only because of the large number of vehicles that were stopped, Joffer said.

“One of my sergeants discovered very early on that they were heavily armed, which means probably everybody was armed. There were no problems. They were all polite to him. He did call for some additional backup just to have there because he had multiple people stopped.”

Joffer said that some of the Outlaws were given traffic tickets but that all of the bikers had permits to carry concealed weapons and they were allowed to continue their trip to Sturgis.

The Highway Patrol official acknowledged that special attention is being paid to motorcycle gangs since a shooting spree Tuesday in Custer State Park between members of two gangs. Authorities have arrested two men affiliated with the Hells Angels for opening fire on several Outlaws at Legion Lake Resort; five Outlaws were struck by bullets and one of them suffered an undisclosed injury.

Since the gunfight, authorities have said they would not be surprised by reprisals. But they added that retaliation may not come during the rally and is likely to pop up anywhere in the country. Both the Outlaws and Hells Angels are reported to have more than 2,000 members in several states.

“We’re all kind of nervous,” Joffer said. “You wonder if maybe something else will come out of this, which potentially could happen.”

South Dakota law allows people with permits to carry concealed weapons nearly everywhere except bars, courthouses and the Capitol. Violators face up to one year in jail and $2,000 fines.

Those who carry hidden handguns must have their permits in possession.

People do not need permits to carry concealed weapons on their own property or property they rent.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Many gang bikers carry arms legally

Crazy, maybe. Lawful? Apparently so.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well legal is legal. If you go to the trouble of getting a concealed gun permit you are not going to cause trouble. You are given a background check, fingerprinted, photographed and made to take a class to learn about what happens if you pull that firearm.

I don't see a problem. If they are stupid enough to pull their firearm its going to be a big problem for them. I would worry more about the folks carrying guns that are not licensed. They are the criminals.

I have permits in two states and I can guarantee you that I will never show my gun to anybody unless I am sure my life is in danger.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Budz
Tourer

Lawdawg, The fact that they are carrying legally indicates that they are not the badass, anti-social gangmembers that most would or should fear. Being in the motorcycle community, I think we have to realize that there are many respectable people riding in gangs and have a right to carry. I'll bet each biker advised the LEO of his liscence to carry and that he was packing. I can appreciate the anxiety of a LEO in this situation, he handled it well. I have been carrying since it has been leagal in Florida and have been able to prevent myself from being a victim and statistic twice. Sometimes a man has to be his own guardian angel, and thank God and our Constitution that we have that right!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

I have my CCW and I carry every where I ride. Of course I am not a member of any gang but I am sure I am the last person some one would expect to be packing a 40 cal. For me is just more peace of mind. I feel that every one should take the time to get a CCW. The more people that have them the better. Point being if the low lifes out there who like to prey upon peple have to worry about them being armed, the better off we all will be. Not trying to start any argumets on the subject, just my 2 cents....

Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

n exchange for the same consideration, South Dakota honors concealed weapons permits from 16 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
Actually, there are 18 states with reciprocity with S. Dakota.

Carrying a concealed weapon legally is very honorable.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:17 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

THat is pretty messed up that members of biker gangs that were just in gun fights are allowed to carry guns legally.

I am guessing they don't do too much of a background check before they issue those concealed fire arm permits. I am sure police officers have enough to worry about out there without the government allowing biker gang members to carry concealed weapons legally. This country is sure screwed up.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:31 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't get it though. I thought that outlaws were not your average "good citizen". Point is, you can't get a concealed weapon if you have had any criminal history.... but these guys that got pulled over have clean records (good enough to get a concealed weapon permit)... what gives...

Mark

Old 08-15-2006, 12:33 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Stel67

I have my CCW and I carry every where I ride. Of course I am not a member of any gang but I am sure I am the last person some one would expect to be packing a 40 cal. For me is just more peace of mind. I feel that every one should take the time to get a CCW. The more people that have them the better. Point being if the low lifes out there who like to prey upon peple have to worry about them being armed, the better off we all will be. Not trying to start any argumets on the subject, just my 2 cents....

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

As usual, Atomic, yer off kilter. The background is pretty thorough, done in conjunction with the feds, and while it may mess up now and again, it does so seldom.

Here's a tidbit for ya: Concealed carry license holders commit less crime than police officers. Given that, it might make sense to allow only CCW holders to have firearms, and have the cops turn theirs in, eh? (That last is T-I-C!)

I don't have a CCW, and never will. I might carry, and I might not. And it ain't nobody's business except mine if I choose to exercise my right to self-defense. CCW is unconstitutional.

Quick Reply: Many gang bikers carry arms legally